4.4 release plans

My list of items for 4.4 is

   * Make the variable editor feature of the GUI work properly,
including for structures and cell arrays.  This may require some changes
in the way we communicate between the GUI and the interpreter.

   * Fix bugs that are marked as blockers.  There are currently 2.

   * Fix (as much as possible) any bugs that are marked as regressions
since the 4.2.x release series.  I suspect that this is a fairly large
task as I count about 20 bugs in Octave that are tagged this way.

Other than those items, it would be nice to also fix as many of the bugs
that are marked as important.

Re: 4.4 release plans

PhilipNienhuis
John W. Eaton wrote
> My list of items for 4.4 is
>
>    * Make the variable editor feature of the GUI work properly,
> including for structures and cell arrays.  This may require some changes
> in the way we communicate between the GUI and the interpreter.

Character arrays (strings as well as 2D arrays) are shown as one character
in a cell. For strings that is quite clumsy (IMO).

What about "general" objects? (Java, classdef, COM, ...). Currently the
variable editor crashes on Java objects. I thought of making openvar() (or
its siblings) to only accept those classes / types that the variable editor
knows how to show, but I lack the C++ skills to make that happen.

>    * Fix bugs that are marked as blockers.  There are currently 2.
>
>    * Fix (as much as possible) any bugs that are marked as regressions
> since the 4.2.x release series.  I suspect that this is a fairly large
> task as I count about 20 bugs in Octave that are tagged this way.
>
> Other than those items, it would be nice to also fix as many of the bugs
> that are marked as important.

Would you still like spreadsheet I/O (xlsread, xlswrite) in core Octave?
I've been working on that and Markus Muetzel wants to help. xmlread and
xmlwrite would probably come with it.
It would require some discussion on this ML, I think, as there are some
complicated choices involved.

A personal favorite of me is ability to read & write classdef objects
from/to .mat files.

Philip

Re: 4.4 release plans

On 12/21/2017 02:44 PM, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
> John W. Eaton wrote

>>     * Make the variable editor feature of the GUI work properly,
>> including for structures and cell arrays.  This may require some changes
>> in the way we communicate between the GUI and the interpreter.
>
> Character arrays (strings as well as 2D arrays) are shown as one character
> in a cell. For strings that is quite clumsy (IMO).

Yeah, it's not supposed to work that way.

> What about "general" objects? (Java, classdef, COM, ...). Currently the
> variable editor crashes on Java objects. I thought of making openvar() (or
> its siblings) to only accept those classes / types that the variable editor
> knows how to show, but I lack the C++ skills to make that happen.

I think we should just skip those for now.  What does Matlab's variable
editor do with them?

> Would you still like spreadsheet I/O (xlsread, xlswrite) in core Octave?
> I've been working on that and Markus Muetzel wants to help. xmlread and
> xmlwrite would probably come with it.
> It would require some discussion on this ML, I think, as there are some
> complicated choices involved.

Maybe.  It would be nice to have.  What is needed to move it to core now?

> A personal favorite of me is ability to read & write classdef objects
> from/to .mat files.

I think making classdef work better may be more of a 4.6 goal for me.

Re: 4.4 release plans

PhilipNienhuis
John W. Eaton wrote

> On 12/21/2017 02:44 PM, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
>> John W. Eaton wrote
>
>>>     * Make the variable editor feature of the GUI work properly,
>>> including for structures and cell arrays.  This may require some changes
>>> in the way we communicate between the GUI and the interpreter.
>>
>> Character arrays (strings as well as 2D arrays) are shown as one
>> character
>> in a cell. For strings that is quite clumsy (IMO).
>
> Yeah, it's not supposed to work that way.
>
>> What about "general" objects? (Java, classdef, COM, ...). Currently the
>> variable editor crashes on Java objects. I thought of making openvar()
>> (or
>> its siblings) to only accept those classes / types that the variable
>> editor
>> knows how to show, but I lack the C++ skills to make that happen.
>
> I think we should just skip those for now.  What does Matlab's variable
> editor do with them?

last I looked Java and COM objects were just indicated as "Java object" or
"COM object". As for classdef and others I might have overlooked I'd have to
find out.

>> Would you still like spreadsheet I/O (xlsread, xlswrite) in core Octave?
>> I've been working on that and Markus Muetzel wants to help. xmlread and
>> xmlwrite would probably come with it.
>> It would require some discussion on this ML, I think, as there are some
>> complicated choices involved.
>
> Maybe.  It would be nice to have.  What is needed to move it to core now?

After finishing cleaning up duplicate code (mostly done):

<some background>
Spreadsheet I/O works with a choice of dependencies, "interfaces". Many of
them Java-based, one native Octave. There are many spreadsheet file formats
out there esp. for Excel. Most "interfaces" only support just one file
format, some support a few. Each interface has its pros and cons. This is
the main reason I supplied a number of interfaces in the io package, to give
users some choice. E.g., .ods can be read with 4 or 5 of the interfaces.
An overview is in the NEWS for the io package, see the stanza for release
2.2.2.

* Decide if all interfaces would go over, or otherwise which ones would and
which ones would stay behind in a weeded out io package. (I expect in
practice only the native interface ("OCT") would go over but that is just
me.)
* In case of the latter, create a mechanism to be able to connect the io
package to what is in core. This may require shadowing of core functions.
Some private .m functions might need to be made "public" and have their
function names decorated with __
* Again in case of the latter, devise a strategy for keeping the io package
working with older releases for a while. This is more of a package
maintainers issue, but thinking ahead might help limiting the combined
maintenance "burden" for core and io package.

Would you like me to open a ticket in the task tracker for this?

>> A personal favorite of me is ability to read & write classdef objects
>> from/to .mat files.
>
> I think making classdef work better may be more of a 4.6 goal for me.

Yeah, I think a 4.4 release shouldn't be postponed for too long.

Philip

Re: 4.4 release plans

Marco Caliari-4
On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 14:21:47 -0500
"John W. Eaton" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My list of items for 4.4 is
>
>    * Make the variable editor feature of the GUI work properly,
> including for structures and cell arrays.  This may require some changes
> in the way we communicate between the GUI and the interpreter.
>
>    * Fix bugs that are marked as blockers.  There are currently 2.
>
>    * Fix (as much as possible) any bugs that are marked as regressions
> since the 4.2.x release series.  I suspect that this is a fairly large
> task as I count about 20 bugs in Octave that are tagged this way.
>
> Other than those items, it would be nice to also fix as many of the bugs
> that are marked as important.
>
> jwe

I would like to add the merge of pending GSOC projects (I'm aware of
"iterative methods for sparse linear systems" and "special functions").
This would motivate further students and mentors.

Marco

Re: 4.4 release plans

Michael Godfrey

On 12/27/2017 09:01 AM, Marco Caliari wrote:
[...]

This looks like quite a bit of work, but all worth doing. It would be VERY good to
include the iterative methods and special functions. In addition to motivation, these
are seriously important.

Michael