5.0.0 Release Checklist - Item #12 - Internationalization

5.0.0 Release Checklist - Item #12 - Internationalization

Torsten-3
Dear Translators,

The translation files (libgui/languages/*.ts) of the GUI were updated
for the 5.0.0 release with changeset
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/ef7f95f89407

It would be very helpful for the upcoming 5.0.0 release if you could
check the files and make any new translations until January 6th, 2019.
Please upload the completed files at the related bug #55279 report
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?55279

In addition, the two files org.octave.Octave.appdata.xml and
org.octave.Octave.desktop.in in etc/icons are still missing some
translations.

Thank you very much,
Octave Maintainers

Re: 5.0.0 Release Checklist - Item #12 - Internationalization

Júlio Hoffimann
Dear Torsten,

Thank you very much for contacting. Unfortunately I am not able to continue translating the project to Brazilian Portuguese. Please feel free to invite someone else from the community to take my place.

All the best,
-Júlio

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018, 15:58 Torsten <[hidden email] wrote:
Dear Translators,

The translation files (libgui/languages/*.ts) of the GUI were updated
for the 5.0.0 release with changeset
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/ef7f95f89407

It would be very helpful for the upcoming 5.0.0 release if you could
check the files and make any new translations until January 6th, 2019.
Please upload the completed files at the related bug #55279 report
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?55279

In addition, the two files org.octave.Octave.appdata.xml and
org.octave.Octave.desktop.in in etc/icons are still missing some
translations.

Thank you very much,
Octave Maintainers

Re: 5.0.0 Release Checklist - Item #12 - Internationalization

Andreas Weber-3
Am 25.12.18 um 16:58 schrieb Torsten:
> The translation files (libgui/languages/*.ts) of the GUI were updated
> for the 5.0.0 release with changeset
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/ef7f95f89407

As far as I can see de_DE.ts is already complete?
-- Andy

On 25.12.18 17:45, Andreas Weber wrote:
> Am 25.12.18 um 16:58 schrieb Torsten:
>> The translation files (libgui/languages/*.ts) of the GUI were updated
>> for the 5.0.0 release with changeset
>> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/ef7f95f89407
>
> As far as I can see de_DE.ts is already complete?

In my repo (stable branch), there are several translations missing in
de_DE.ts, e.g. the settings-dialog (end of the list in linguist) only
has 126 translated string of 144 total strings.

Torsten

On 25.12.18 16:58, Torsten wrote:

> Dear Translators,
>
> The translation files (libgui/languages/*.ts) of the GUI were updated
> for the 5.0.0 release with changeset
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/ef7f95f89407
>
> It would be very helpful for the upcoming 5.0.0 release if you could
> check the files and make any new translations until January 6th, 2019.
> Please upload the completed files at the related bug #55279 report
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?55279
>
> In addition, the two files org.octave.Octave.appdata.xml and
> org.octave.Octave.desktop.in in etc/icons are still missing some
> translations.
>

> Thank you very much,
> Octave Maintainers

Just to clarify: The translation files are updated in the stable branch,
not yet in the default branch.

Torsten

Re: 5.0.0 Release Checklist - Item #12 - Internationalization

Andreas Weber-6
Am 25.12.18 um 23:05 schrieb Torsten:
> On 25.12.18 17:45, Andreas Weber wrote:
>> As far as I can see de_DE.ts is already complete?
>
> In my repo (stable branch), there are several translations missing in
> de_DE.ts, e.g. the settings-dialog (end of the list in linguist) only
> has 126 translated string of 144 total strings.

Oh sorry, my bad. I thought we are still on default until the 5.0 release.

Can we please have a shell script inside libgui or libgui/languages to
do the update (or at least document the exact steps to do it)?

Years ago I've used something like:

octave-src/libgui$ lupdate -recursive -no-obsolete -locations relative
src qterminal graphics -ts languages/*ts

Thank you, Andy

Re: 5.0.0 Release Checklist - Item #12 - Internationalization

Andreas Weber-6
Dear Torsten,

Am 25.12.18 um 16:58 schrieb Torsten:
> The translation files (libgui/languages/*.ts) of the GUI were updated
> for the 5.0.0 release with changeset
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/ef7f95f89407

This cset added lt_LT.ts to libgui/module.mk but I can't find the file
on the stable branch. Am I missing something?

Thank you, Andy

Am 30.12.18 um 14:55 schrieb Andreas Weber:
> This cset added lt_LT.ts to libgui/module.mk but I can't find the file
> on the stable branch. Am I missing something?

Sorry, again my bad, the file was added with
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/c5fb4699e9cb

(I was trying to build ef7f95f89407)

-- Andy

On 30.12.18 14:49, Andreas Weber wrote:

> Am 25.12.18 um 23:05 schrieb Torsten:
>> On 25.12.18 17:45, Andreas Weber wrote:
>>> As far as I can see de_DE.ts is already complete?
>>
>> In my repo (stable branch), there are several translations missing in
>> de_DE.ts, e.g. the settings-dialog (end of the list in linguist) only
>> has 126 translated string of 144 total strings.
>
> Oh sorry, my bad. I thought we are still on default until the 5.0 release.
>
> Can we please have a shell script inside libgui or libgui/languages to
> do the update (or at least document the exact steps to do it)?
>
> Years ago I've used something like:
>
> octave-src/libgui$ lupdate -recursive -no-obsolete -locations relative
> src qterminal graphics -ts languages/*ts
>
> Thank you, Andy

Hi Andy,

Your command is the one I am using, too (the option -recursive is the
default). In the script which I am using, there is also a check for
language files of the qt and qscintilla distribution for the currently
updated language. If these files are not present, some header files of
qt and qscintilla are also scanned for translatable strings in order to
get a fully translated octave program.

Please find attached the script, which has to be called from within the
folder libgui/languages. Adding it to the repo is a good idea but before
this, I would like to make it more (e.g., detecting qt and qscintilla
install path). However, providing the relevant qt and qscintilla headers
for languages that are not supported by qt and/or qscintilla has to be
done manually.

If we decide not to translate qt/qscintilla messages but only the octave
specific strings, we can drop the extra scan of qt/qscintilla headers
and simplify the update procedure of the language files.

Best regards
Torsten

On 30.12.18 17:05, Torsten wrote:

> On 30.12.18 14:49, Andreas Weber wrote:
>>>
>>> In my repo (stable branch), there are several translations missing in
>>> de_DE.ts, e.g. the settings-dialog (end of the list in linguist) only
>>> has 126 translated string of 144 total strings.
>>
>> Oh sorry, my bad. I thought we are still on default until the 5.0 release.
>>
>> Can we please have a shell script inside libgui or libgui/languages to
>> do the update (or at least document the exact steps to do it)?
>>
>> Years ago I've used something like:
>>
>> octave-src/libgui$ lupdate -recursive -no-obsolete -locations relative
>> src qterminal graphics -ts languages/*ts
>>
>> Thank you, Andy
>
> Hi Andy,
>
> Your command is the one I am using, too (the option -recursive is the
> default). In the script which I am using, there is also a check for
> language files of the qt and qscintilla distribution for the currently
> updated language. If these files are not present, some header files of
> qt and qscintilla are also scanned for translatable strings in order to
> get a fully translated octave program.
>
> Please find attached the script, which has to be called from within the
> folder libgui/languages. Adding it to the repo is a good idea but before
> this, I would like to make it more (e.g., detecting qt and qscintilla
> install path). However, providing the relevant qt and qscintilla headers
> for languages that are not supported by qt and/or qscintilla has to be
> done manually.
>
> If we decide not to translate qt/qscintilla messages but only the octave
> specific strings, we can drop the extra scan of qt/qscintilla headers
> and simplify the update procedure of the language files.
>
> Best regards
> Torsten

And here the promised attachment ...

Torsten