Quantcast

A Gnuplot question

vicnorton
I realize this is not an Octave question per se, but perhaps someone
here can answer it.

My question: How do you change directory in Gnuplot so that your
working directory is the directory containing the calling script?

I know how to do this in Octave:
    basedir = fileparts(mfilename("fullpath"));
    chdir(basedir);
I know how to do it in Perl:
    use FindBin qw($Bin);
    chdir $Bin;
But I don't know how to do it in Gnuplot.

Regards,

Vic

Re: A Gnuplot question

Thomas Weber-8
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 03:04:53PM -0500, Vic Norton wrote:

> I realize this is not an Octave question per se, but perhaps someone
> here can answer it.
>
> My question: How do you change directory in Gnuplot so that your
> working directory is the directory containing the calling script?
>
> I know how to do this in Octave:
>     basedir = fileparts(mfilename("fullpath"));
>     chdir(basedir);
> I know how to do it in Perl:
>     use FindBin qw($Bin);
>     chdir $Bin;
> But I don't know how to do it in Gnuplot.

help cd

which, btw, works in Octave as well

        Thomas

Re: A Gnuplot question

vicnorton
Unfortunately "help cd" is no help, Thomas.
Syntax:
     cd '<directory-name>'
works if you know the directory-name. I want the Gnuplot script to
tell me the name of the directory in which it resides. Then the code
will be portable.

The Octave and Perl segments below do exactly that. The main
ingredients have nothing to do with cd or chdir. The main ingredients
of the Octave code are fileparts and mfilename. The main ingredient
of the Perl code is the FindBin package.

Regards,

Vic

On Nov 26, 2008, at 4:04 PM, Thomas Weber wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 03:04:53PM -0500, Vic Norton wrote:
>> I realize this is not an Octave question per se, but perhaps someone
>> here can answer it.
>>
>> My question: How do you change directory in Gnuplot so that your
>> working directory is the directory containing the calling script?
>>
>> I know how to do this in Octave:
>>     basedir = fileparts(mfilename("fullpath"));
>>     chdir(basedir);
>> I know how to do it in Perl:
>>     use FindBin qw($Bin);
>>     chdir $Bin;
>> But I don't know how to do it in Gnuplot.
>
> help cd
>
> which, btw, works in Octave as well
>
> Thomas

Re: A Gnuplot question

bpabbott
Administrator
Do I understand correctly?

You want gnuplot to tell you the directory containing the shell-script
that called it?

bens-macbook:~ bpabbott$ pwd
/Users/bpabbott
bens-macbook:~ bpabbott$ gnuplot

        G N U P L O T
        Version 4.3 patchlevel 0
        last modified November 2008
        System: Darwin 9.5.0

        Copyright (C) 1986 - 1993, 1998, 2004, 2007, 2008
        Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley and many others

        Type `help` to access the on-line reference manual.
        The gnuplot FAQ is available from
                http://www.gnuplot.info/faq/

        Send comments and help requests to  <gnuplot-
[hidden email]>
        Send bug reports and suggestions to <gnuplot-
[hidden email]>

Terminal type set to 'x11'
gnuplot> pwd
/Users/bpabbott
gnuplot>

I don't see what that has to do with making code portable. Can you be
more specific?

Ben

On Nov 26, 2008, at 7:53 PM, Vic Norton wrote:

> Unfortunately "help cd" is no help, Thomas.
> Syntax:
>    cd '<directory-name>'
> works if you know the directory-name. I want the Gnuplot script to
> tell me the name of the directory in which it resides. Then the code
> will be portable.
>
> The Octave and Perl segments below do exactly that. The main
> ingredients have nothing to do with cd or chdir. The main ingredients
> of the Octave code are fileparts and mfilename. The main ingredient
> of the Perl code is the FindBin package.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vic
>
> On Nov 26, 2008, at 4:04 PM, Thomas Weber wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 03:04:53PM -0500, Vic Norton wrote:
>>> I realize this is not an Octave question per se, but perhaps someone
>>> here can answer it.
>>>
>>> My question: How do you change directory in Gnuplot so that your
>>> working directory is the directory containing the calling script?
>>>
>>> I know how to do this in Octave:
>>>   basedir = fileparts(mfilename("fullpath"));
>>>   chdir(basedir);
>>> I know how to do it in Perl:
>>>   use FindBin qw($Bin);
>>>   chdir $Bin;
>>> But I don't know how to do it in Gnuplot.
>>
>> help cd
>>
>> which, btw, works in Octave as well
>>
>> Thomas

Re: Re: A Gnuplot question

tmacchant
Hello

Perhaps you mention
pwd

which means 'Present Working Directory'

For example
gnuplot> pwd
/cygdrive/d/usr/Tatsu

In octave
octave:1> pwd
ans = /cygdrive/d/usr/Tatsu

Regards

Tatsuro

--- Vic Norton  wrote:

> Unfortunately "help cd" is no help, Thomas.
> Syntax:
>      cd '<directory-name>'
> works if you know the directory-name. I want the Gnuplot script to
> tell me the name of the directory in which it resides. Then the code
> will be portable.
>
> The Octave and Perl segments below do exactly that. The main
> ingredients have nothing to do with cd or chdir. The main ingredients
> of the Octave code are fileparts and mfilename. The main ingredient
> of the Perl code is the FindBin package.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vic
>
> On Nov 26, 2008, at 4:04 PM, Thomas Weber wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 03:04:53PM -0500, Vic Norton wrote:
> >> I realize this is not an Octave question per se, but perhaps someone
> >> here can answer it.
> >>
> >> My question: How do you change directory in Gnuplot so that your
> >> working directory is the directory containing the calling script?
> >>
> >> I know how to do this in Octave:
> >>     basedir = fileparts(mfilename("fullpath"));
> >>     chdir(basedir);
> >> I know how to do it in Perl:
> >>     use FindBin qw($Bin);
> >>     chdir $Bin;
> >> But I don't know how to do it in Gnuplot.
> >
> > help cd
> >
> > which, btw, works in Octave as well
> >
> >     Thomas

Re: A Gnuplot question

Thomas Weber-8
Am Mittwoch, den 26.11.2008, 19:53 -0500 schrieb Vic Norton:
> Unfortunately "help cd" is no help, Thomas.
> Syntax:
>      cd '<directory-name>'
> works if you know the directory-name. I want the Gnuplot script to
> tell me the name of the directory in which it resides. Then the code
> will be portable.

Ah, sorry about that. I thought your problem was with changing the
directory.

Can you elaborate on your use case? I don't think gnuplot has support
for that thing, but maybe there's something else.

        Thomas

Re: A Gnuplot question

Thomas Weber-8
Am Mittwoch, den 26.11.2008, 20:36 -0500 schrieb Ben Abbott:
> Do I understand correctly?
>
> You want gnuplot to tell you the directory containing the shell-script
> that called it?

I think Vic wants the .gpi script to tell where it resides.

Say, v.gpi resides in /tmp and has only a pwd statement:

        $ cat /tmp/v.gpi
        pwd

Now, "load v.gpi" should[1] give him "/tmp/, but

        gnuplot> load "/tmp/v.gpi"
        /home/weber

Contrast this with Octave's behaviour:
        octave:1> source "/tmp/v.m"
        basedir = /tmp

where v.m contains the one line from Vic'c first post.

[1] By "should" I mean what Vic wants.

        Thomas

Re: A Gnuplot question

dieter.jurzitza@t-online.de
Hi Thomas,
hi  Ben,
"system" may be your friend:

mypath=system ("pwd")
cd "/tmp"
pwd
cd mypath
pwd

by assigning a variable (mypath in my case) the return value of the
system command (in gnuplot) you can remember where you have been.
Take care

Dieter

P.S. tested on linux, gnuplot version 4.2.3

****