Agora updated

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
After lots of sysadmin hacking, I think I managed to get Wendy's
latest Agora up and running:

   http://agora.octave.org

Looks like at least we still have the snippets, and I admit, they do look nice:

    http://agora.octave.org/snippet/6Dch/

Wendy, looking forward for more!

- Jordi G. H.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Agora updated

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 9 September 2012 22:57, Wendy Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9 September 2012 22:49, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> After lots of sysadmin hacking, I think I managed to get Wendy's
>> latest Agora up and running:

> Glad you got it working. Sorry about the hassle. It looks like the
> existing snippets were lost, though. Is this a problem? If you have
> a database backup, I could try to help get them back.

Nah, it's ok. I ended up wiping the database. They were almost all
spam anyways. We'll need something to fight off spam later.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Agora updated

Carnë Draug-2
On 10 September 2012 04:49, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Looks like at least we still have the snippets, and I admit, they do look nice:
>
>     http://agora.octave.org/snippet/6Dch/

They sure do look really nice. I have one problem though. Is there any
way to activate line wrapping. On the example you just gave, line 21
requires to do some horizontal scrolling but the only way to do so is
to navigate to the bottom of the page to see the horizontal bar.
Considering that a "snippet" can be quite long, this is a problem. Can
this be fixed?

I thought about line wrapping tough there might be other smarter ways
to implement horizontal scrolling, I don't know.

Carnë

Re: Agora updated

Dr. Alexander Klein
Am 10.09.2012 um 04:49 schrieb Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso:

> After lots of sysadmin hacking, I think I managed to get Wendy's
> latest Agora up and running:

This look really good! Thanks for the great work!

I had some trouble registering, though. After I'd completed the registration form, the system would throw an exception, because it tried to send the confirmation eMail with "webmaster@localhost" as the originator address.

Later,

        Alex

--
Dr. Alexander Klein, Diplom-Mathematiker
Physiologisches Institut der JLU-Gießen

http://www.med.uni-giessen.de/physio/

Re: Agora updated

Wendy Liu
That's a good point. There currently is a way to toggle line wrapping by clicking "Toggle wordwrap" at the top; however, this removes the line numbers. (Example: http://agora.octave.org/snippet/vkkh/, same as the original except line 21 is slightly longer.) I'm working on a way to keep the line numbers while ensuring that the number and the text still line up. Hopefully that will be ready by the end of the week.

On 10 September 2012 02:57, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10 September 2012 04:49, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Looks like at least we still have the snippets, and I admit, they do look nice:
>
>     http://agora.octave.org/snippet/6Dch/

They sure do look really nice. I have one problem though. Is there any
way to activate line wrapping. On the example you just gave, line 21
requires to do some horizontal scrolling but the only way to do so is
to navigate to the bottom of the page to see the horizontal bar.
Considering that a "snippet" can be quite long, this is a problem. Can
this be fixed?

I thought about line wrapping tough there might be other smarter ways
to implement horizontal scrolling, I don't know.

Carnë

Re: Agora updated

Daniel Sebald
On 09/10/2012 01:57 AM, Carnë Draug wrote:

> On 10 September 2012 04:49, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Looks like at least we still have the snippets, and I admit, they do look nice:
>>
>>      http://agora.octave.org/snippet/6Dch/
>
> They sure do look really nice. I have one problem though. Is there any
> way to activate line wrapping. On the example you just gave, line 21
> requires to do some horizontal scrolling but the only way to do so is
> to navigate to the bottom of the page to see the horizontal bar.
> Considering that a "snippet" can be quite long, this is a problem. Can
> this be fixed?

Try using the highlight feature to scroll.  It's not the most elegant,
but it works.  I.e., put the cursor inside the window where the text is,
press the left mouse button and scroll either left or right depending on
the desired direction to scroll as though one is highlighting the text.
  Moving the mouse past the end of the window will scroll.

Dan

PS: The front page looks much nicer now Wendy.  Just about the right
amount of content for good visual balance.

Re: Agora updated

Juan Pablo Carbajal
On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Dr. Alexander Klein
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 10.09.2012 um 04:49 schrieb Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso:
>
>> After lots of sysadmin hacking, I think I managed to get Wendy's
>> latest Agora up and running:
>
> This look really good! Thanks for the great work!
>
> I had some trouble registering, though. After I'd completed the registration form, the system would throw an exception, because it tried to send the confirmation eMail with "webmaster@localhost" as the originator address.
>
> Later,
>
>         Alex
>
> --
> Dr. Alexander Klein, Diplom-Mathematiker
> Physiologisches Institut der JLU-Gießen
> Aulweg 129
> 35392 Gießen
>
> http://www.med.uni-giessen.de/physio/

Hi,
I tried to register an account an got a huge error message log.

The first part is below

SMTPRecipientsRefused at /accounts/register/
{'[hidden email]': (504, '5.5.2 <webmaster@localhost>: Sender
address rejected: need fully-qualified address')}
Request Method: POST
Request URL: http://agora.octave.org/accounts/register/
Django Version: 1.3
Exception Type: SMTPRecipientsRefused
Exception Value:
{'[hidden email]': (504, '5.5.2 <webmaster@localhost>: Sender
address rejected: need fully-qualified address')}
Exception Location: /usr/lib/python2.5/smtplib.py in sendmail, line 703
Python Executable: /usr/bin/python
Python Version: 2.5.2
Python Path:
['/home/gnuoctave/local/lib/python',
 '/home/gnuoctave/agora.octave.org/venv/lib/python',
 '/usr/local/dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/wsgi',
 '/usr/lib/python2.5',
 '/usr/lib/python2.5/plat-linux2',
 '/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-tk',
 '/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload',
 '/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages',
 '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages',
 '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Numeric',
 '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL',
 '/var/lib/python-support/python2.5',
 '/usr/lib/site-python',
 '/home/gnuoctave/agora.octave.org',
 '/home/gnuoctave/agora.octave.org/agora']
Server time: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 04:11:17 -0400

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----
University of Zürich
http://ailab.ifi.uzh.ch/carbajal/

Re: Agora updated

Juan Pablo Carbajal
On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Juan Pablo Carbajal
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Dr. Alexander Klein
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Am 10.09.2012 um 04:49 schrieb Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso:
>>
>>> After lots of sysadmin hacking, I think I managed to get Wendy's
>>> latest Agora up and running:
>>
>> This look really good! Thanks for the great work!
>>
>> I had some trouble registering, though. After I'd completed the registration form, the system would throw an exception, because it tried to send the confirmation eMail with "webmaster@localhost" as the originator address.
>>
>> Later,
>>
>>         Alex
>>
>> --
>> Dr. Alexander Klein, Diplom-Mathematiker
>> Physiologisches Institut der JLU-Gießen
>> Aulweg 129
>> 35392 Gießen
>>
>> http://www.med.uni-giessen.de/physio/
>>

> Hi,
> I tried to register an account an got a huge error message log.
>
> The first part is below
>
> SMTPRecipientsRefused at /accounts/register/
> {'[hidden email]': (504, '5.5.2 <webmaster@localhost>: Sender
> address rejected: need fully-qualified address')}
> Request Method: POST
> Request URL:    http://agora.octave.org/accounts/register/
> Django Version: 1.3
> Exception Type: SMTPRecipientsRefused
> Exception Value:
> {'[hidden email]': (504, '5.5.2 <webmaster@localhost>: Sender
> address rejected: need fully-qualified address')}
> Exception Location:     /usr/lib/python2.5/smtplib.py in sendmail, line 703
> Python Executable:      /usr/bin/python
> Python Version: 2.5.2
> Python Path:
> ['/home/gnuoctave/local/lib/python',
>  '/home/gnuoctave/agora.octave.org/venv/lib/python',
>  '/usr/local/dh/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/wsgi',
>  '/usr/lib/python2.5',
>  '/usr/lib/python2.5/plat-linux2',
>  '/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-tk',
>  '/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload',
>  '/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages',
>  '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages',
>  '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Numeric',
>  '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL',
>  '/var/lib/python-support/python2.5',
>  '/usr/lib/site-python',
>  '/home/gnuoctave/agora.octave.org',
>  '/home/gnuoctave/agora.octave.org/agora']
> Server time:    Mon, 10 Sep 2012 04:11:17 -0400
>

> --
> M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
> -----
> PhD Student
> University of Zürich
> http://ailab.ifi.uzh.ch/carbajal/

Hi again,

Great job Wendy, looks really nice

An observation:

In "Explore" (Browse code submissions)
The sections are named "Snippets", "Modules", "Forge" But the button
says "login to upload singles/bundles". I guess this should be changed
to "login to upload snippets/modules" or "login to upload single files
or modules".

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----
University of Zürich
http://ailab.ifi.uzh.ch/carbajal/

Re: Agora updated

Judd Storrs-2
I agree that it is very nice looking!

Another observation: I'm constantly battling my guttural parsing which interprets "agora octave" as "a specific version of octave made by some outfit called agora". "octave agora" feels more natural for what I believe is the intent (at least for the English localization). "agora octave" may be the proper Greek for all I know, but I just feels weird and difficult to me.

agora octave ==> octave of agora
octave agora ==> agora of octave

--judd