Alternative cross-distro methods of installing GNU Octave

Alternative cross-distro methods of installing GNU Octave

siko1056
Dear maintainers,

Today I received an email by Brenton Horne about another Flatpack like package manager by the GNU Project called "guix" [1], which I did not know before.

GNU Guix is able to provide the recent stable version of Octave [2] in a fashion similar to Flatpack:

   guix package -i octave

Personally, I would support this, but I did not get it to run yet (my distro openSUSE 15.0 only partially supports GNU Guix.  The required service deamons and directories have to be configured manually, or I did something wrong...

The question is, if we advertise this project as alternative to Flatpack on the website [3]. Any thoughts, objections?

Best,
Kai

Re: Alternative cross-distro methods of installing GNU Octave

Doug Stewart-4

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 5:50 AM Kai Torben Ohlhus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear maintainers,

Today I received an email by Brenton Horne about another Flatpack like package manager by the GNU Project called "guix" [1], which I did not know before.

GNU Guix is able to provide the recent stable version of Octave [2] in a fashion similar to Flatpack:

   guix package -i octave

Personally, I would support this, but I did not get it to run yet (my distro openSUSE 15.0 only partially supports GNU Guix.  The required service deamons and directories have to be configured manually, or I did something wrong...

The question is, if we advertise this project as alternative to Flatpack on the website [3]. Any thoughts, objections?

Best,
Kai

does this work in windows?

--