Anyone in Europe willing to host OctConf 2016 ?

12

Anyone in Europe willing to host OctConf 2016 ?

Carnë Draug
Hi everyone

We have been meeting every year at OctConf since 2012.  We don't have
a plan for OctConf this year yet.

For those who have never attended, this is a 3 day users and developers
meeting.  Some show what they use Octave for, others what they have been
working on, and everyone gets to discuss what they would like Octave to be.
There is a fair amount of coding.  It's easier to discuss in person and
most core developers are there to explain the many undocumented aspects
of the language.  And of course, at the end of the day we go out for dinner
and drinks.

As it has been mentioned before that the current centre of gravity for
Octave programmers is in Europe so we would like to have OctConf it in
Europe again.  However, we need someone willing to organize it soon.

We are very easy to accommodate.  We need one room with a projector.  We
must have been roughly 50 people last year, so we don't even need a very
large room.  We need power sockets for the laptops and internet access.
Food and coffee would be nice.  That's about it.  We have been meeting
at Universities where this is relatively simple to achieve.

Is there someone capable and willing to host OctConf 2016?

Carnë

Re: Anyone in Europe willing to host OctConf 2016 ?

Andrea Latina
Hello Carnë, hello everyone,

I am a physicist, I work at CERN, and I appreciate and use Octave on a daily basis. So my question is: Would you be interested in having this OctConf 2016 at CERN?

I think CERN could be the ideal location for such an event: there are meeting rooms, there are projectors, there is a restaurant that can provide coffee breaks and buffets at modest price, and -if we are lucky- there can even be accommodation on site for those coming from abroad. Plus, I think it would be very cool to have CERN acknowledging and endorsing such an important open-source tool like Octave.

Let me know if you think this idea is attractive. Should this be the case, I will contact the CERN IT department to see if they are willing to help.

Cheers,
Andrea

On 8 May 2016 at 01:37, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On Sun, 2016-05-08 at 23:10 +0200, Andrea Latina wrote:
> Let me know if you think this idea is attractive.

Are you kidding me? CERN? Attractive? Is the pope Catholic? Do
one-legged ducks swim in circles?

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Anyone in Europe willing to host OctConf 2016 ?

Andrea Latina
Yep... I also thought it could be a good idea :-)

Then I will inquire the IT department and the communication office. Let's see what they say..

Will keep you posted,
Andrea

On 8 May 2016 at 23:49, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 2016-05-08 at 23:10 +0200, Andrea Latina wrote:
> Let me know if you think this idea is attractive.

Are you kidding me? CERN? Attractive? Is the pope Catholic? Do
one-legged ducks swim in circles?

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Anyone in Europe willing to host OctConf 2016 ?

edmund ronald
That is a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful invitation!
The one thing we have to be careful about is arranging cheap accomodation.
And making sure we can take a few minutes away from Octave to go and see LHC :)

Edmund

On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 11:49 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 2016-05-08 at 23:10 +0200, Andrea Latina wrote:
> Let me know if you think this idea is attractive.

Are you kidding me? CERN? Attractive? Is the pope Catholic? Do
one-legged ducks swim in circles?

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Anyone in Europe willing to host OctConf 2016 ?

Doug Stewart-4

On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 6:10 PM, edmund ronald <[hidden email]> wrote:
That is a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful invitation!
The one thing we have to be careful about is arranging cheap accomodation.
And making sure we can take a few minutes away from Octave to go and see LHC :)

Edmund

On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 11:49 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 2016-05-08 at 23:10 +0200, Andrea Latina wrote:
> Let me know if you think this idea is attractive.

Are you kidding me? CERN? Attractive? Is the pope Catholic? Do
one-legged ducks swim in circles?

- Jordi G. H.

I was going to skip this year, but if it is in CERN  then I will try to be there!!!!

DAS

Re: Anyone in Europe willing to host OctConf 2016 ?

Jacopo Corno

Il 08/05/2016 23:10, Andrea Latina ha scritto:
Hello Carnë, hello everyone,

I am a physicist, I work at CERN, and I appreciate and use Octave on a daily basis. So my question is: Would you be interested in having this OctConf 2016 at CERN?

I think CERN could be the ideal location for such an event: there are meeting rooms, there are projectors, there is a restaurant that can provide coffee breaks and buffets at modest price, and -if we are lucky- there can even be accommodation on site for those coming from abroad. Plus, I think it would be very cool to have CERN acknowledging and endorsing such an important open-source tool like Octave.

Let me know if you think this idea is attractive. Should this be the case, I will contact the CERN IT department to see if they are willing to help.

Cheers,
Andrea

Dear Andrea, dear Carnë, dear all,

this invitation sounds really appealing! As part of last year hosts in Darmstadt, I would enjoy going to CERN for this year OctConf.

As a back up plan, if there is any problem in the organization, Darmstadt is also available for hosting the conference again. We also have some new addition to the Octave community in our department (Idoia in cc) who is willing to help with the organization.

I am however hopeful to hear from Geneva some good news!
Cheers,
Jacopo

[...]

Jacopo Corno M.Sc.
Technische Universität Darmstadt
Graduate School of Computational Engineering
Dolivostraße 15
64293 Darmstadt / Germany

Office: S4|10-232
Phone: +49 6151 16 - 76877
Email: [hidden email]

Re: Anyone in Europe willing to host OctConf 2016 ?

Andrea Latina
Dear all,

I welcomed and appreciated your warm and positive response to my proposal. It would be great! So, I started to pull my strings at CERN to have OctConf here. I guess it will take me a few days before I collect the responses from the people I contacted. I will get back to you with more information as soon as possible.

Cheers,
Andrea

On 9 May 2016 at 14:28, Jacopo Corno <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Phone: <a href="tel:%2B49%206151%2016%20-%2076877" value="+4961511676877" target="_blank">+49 6151 16 - 76877
Email: [hidden email]

On Mon, 2016-05-09 at 17:22 +0200, Andrea Latina wrote:
> I will get back to you with more information as soon as possible.

Ping! Any news yet?

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Anyone in Europe willing to host OctConf 2016 ?

Andrea Latina
Hello everybody,

yes, I got some good news -yet not conclusive-.

I contacted the CERN IT department, of which I quote here the response:

Hello Andrea,

Many thanks for your email. I have sent the request to the IT department's head who is happy with this proposal provided  this does not clash with some renegotiations that are currently on going: an email has been sent to IPT to check the status and we should know soon. If we were to get green light from them, the CDA group leader, who is also in favour of your idea, confirms that [...] is the person in charge in IT who should be kept in the loop and who could collaborate with you on this.
We will come back to you as soon as we receive IPT's reply.
Best wishes,

For the time being I am still waiting for the IPT's reply. (IPT = Information systems, Process engineering & software Technology Group). Last week I pinged the person in charge, but he was on vacation. I will try again this week.

CERN IT department is big, so it was to be expected that it would quickly get a little bureaucratic and lengthy, but the response has been positive throughout the entire hierarchy, so I would consider it as a very positive start.

I will contact them again this week and post here whatever news.

Cheers,
Andrea

On 22 May 2016 at 23:19, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 2016-05-09 at 17:22 +0200, Andrea Latina wrote:
> I will get back to you with more information as soon as possible.

Ping! Any news yet?

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Anyone in Europe willing to host OctConf 2016 ?

edmund ronald
Hi folks -

 Is there any news here?
 Ping! ;)

Edmund

On 22 May 2016 at 23:19, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;jordigh@octave.org&#39;);" target="_blank">jordigh@...> wrote:
On Mon, 2016-05-09 at 17:22 +0200, Andrea Latina wrote:
> I will get back to you with more information as soon as possible.

Ping! Any news yet?

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Anyone in Europe willing to host OctConf 2016 ?

Andrea Latina
Hi Edmund, hi all,

things to have OctConf 2016 at CERN are moving forward. Slowly, but are moving forward. I should be able to give a more complete report about it within a couple of weeks.

Cheers,
Andrea

On 4 June 2016 at 23:26, edmund ronald <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi folks -

 Is there any news here?
 Ping! ;)

Edmund

On Monday, May 23, 2016, Andrea Latina <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everybody,

yes, I got some good news -yet not conclusive-.

I contacted the CERN IT department, of which I quote here the response:

Hello Andrea,

Many thanks for your email. I have sent the request to the IT department's head who is happy with this proposal provided  this does not clash with some renegotiations that are currently on going: an email has been sent to IPT to check the status and we should know soon. If we were to get green light from them, the CDA group leader, who is also in favour of your idea, confirms that [...] is the person in charge in IT who should be kept in the loop and who could collaborate with you on this.
We will come back to you as soon as we receive IPT's reply.
Best wishes,

For the time being I am still waiting for the IPT's reply. (IPT = Information systems, Process engineering & software Technology Group). Last week I pinged the person in charge, but he was on vacation. I will try again this week.

CERN IT department is big, so it was to be expected that it would quickly get a little bureaucratic and lengthy, but the response has been positive throughout the entire hierarchy, so I would consider it as a very positive start.

I will contact them again this week and post here whatever news.

Cheers,
Andrea

On 22 May 2016 at 23:19, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 2016-05-09 at 17:22 +0200, Andrea Latina wrote:
> I will get back to you with more information as soon as possible.

Ping! Any news yet?

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Anyone in Europe willing to host OctConf 2016 ?

Sebastian Schöps
Dear Andrea,

On 2016-06-05, Andrea Latina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Edmund, hi all,
>
> things to have OctConf 2016 at CERN are moving forward. Slowly, but are moving forward. I should be able to give a more complete report about it within a couple of weeks.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrea

is there any news? I am afraid we running late for a conference in September/October...

Sebastian

Re: Anyone in Europe willing to host OctConf 2016 ?

Andrea Latina
Dear All,

I'm learning that working with the CERN's IT department can be the most frustrating experience ever.

After chasing the guy who is supposed to help us for a few days (please, allow me the use of a collective "us", referring to me + you guys, meaning "us" versus the CERN's IT), I managed to fix an appointment to talk about the dates for OctConf: we will meet Wednesday next week, at 9am.

I will propose September (avoiding the week I won't be at CERN), or early October. If there is any additional inputs you guys want to give me before Wednesday, just let me know.

I think once the dates will be decided everything will move rather quickly, and people will be able to start making travel plans. Let's just be patient until Wednesday before we can hopefully discuss the next moves.

Best,
Andrea

Dear Andrea,

On 2016-06-05, Andrea Latina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Edmund, hi all,
>
> things to have OctConf 2016 at CERN are moving forward. Slowly, but are moving forward. I should be able to give a more complete report about it within a couple of weeks.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrea

is there any news? I am afraid we running late for a conference in September/October...

Sebastian

Re: Anyone in Europe willing to host OctConf 2016 ?

Olaf Till-2
On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 04:33:18PM +0200, Andrea Latina wrote:
> Let's just be patient until Wednesday

That was a few days ago ... ?

Olaf

On 2 August 2016 at 16:30, Olaf Till <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 04:33:18PM +0200, Andrea Latina wrote:
>> Let's just be patient until Wednesday
>
> That was a few days ago ... ?

That has not been made public yet.  CERN has accepted to host the next
OctConf.  However, we thought that this was too late in the year and
many will already have made plans.  We think that moving OctConf to
the spring of 2017 may be a better choice.

Re: Anyone in Europe willing to host OctConf 2016 ?

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2

Why not asking? I have reserved the month waiting for the answer to this issue.

Re: Anyone in Europe willing to host OctConf 2016 ?

edmund ronald
Yes, there may have been excessive discretion here ...
Anyway, CERN in the spring sounds like a very nice idea. I hope we get to visit the sights :)

Edmund

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 3:29 PM, edmund ronald <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, there may have been excessive discretion here ...
> Anyway, CERN in the spring sounds like a very nice idea. I hope we get to visit the sights :)
>
> Edmund
> ᐧ
>
> On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 8:30 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > That has not been made public yet.  CERN has accepted to host the next
>> > OctConf.  However, we thought that this was too late in the year and
>> > many will already have made plans.  We think that moving OctConf to
>> > the spring of 2017 may be a better choice.
>> >

>> Why not asking? I have reserved the month waiting for the answer to this issue.

Dear all,

It seems this thread has been going on outside of the mailing list.
Carnë informed today on IRC that "everything is booked[at CERN] for
the end of March but nothing else has been done".

It seems we need to move fast.

@Sebastian or @JordiGH: Would it be possible to get a checklist from
you, describing the organizational steps you took?
(or anybody else with experience in organizing OctConf or similar meeting)

I am a simple guy, I would be worried of getting access to food,
internet and then giving some guidelines on where to stay and how to
get to the venue. Maybe I am missing something important.

Thanks

On Jan 30, 2017 10:55 AM, "Juan Pablo Carbajal" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 3:29 PM, edmund ronald <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, there may have been excessive discretion here ...
> Anyway, CERN in the spring sounds like a very nice idea. I hope we get to visit the sights :)
>
> Edmund
> ᐧ
>
> On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 8:30 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > That has not been made public yet.  CERN has accepted to host the next
>> > OctConf.  However, we thought that this was too late in the year and
>> > many will already have made plans.  We think that moving OctConf to
>> > the spring of 2017 may be a better choice.
>> >

>> Why not asking? I have reserved the month waiting for the answer to this issue.

Dear all,

It seems this thread has been going on outside of the mailing list.
Carnë informed today on IRC that "everything is booked[at CERN] for
the end of March but nothing else has been done".

It seems we need to move fast.

@Sebastian or @JordiGH: Would it be possible to get a checklist from
you, describing the organizational steps you took?
(or anybody else with experience in organizing OctConf or similar meeting)

I am a simple guy, I would be worried of getting access to food,
internet and then giving some guidelines on where to stay and how to
get to the venue. Maybe I am missing something important.

Thanks

What dates?

12