Apparent missing/wrong/conflicting items in the description of 'fsolve' ('fvec' <-> 'fval')

Apparent missing/wrong/conflicting items in the description of 'fsolve' ('fvec' <-> 'fval')

Sergei Steshenko
Hello All,

looking into GNU Octave: Solvers

I see among other things:

"
Function File: [x, fvec, info, output, fjac] = fsolve (fcn, …
".

Pay special attention  to 'fvec' - I do not see it anywhere else in the webpage. OTOH later on I see:

"
On return, fval contains the value of the function fcn evaluated at x
".

I think that 'fval' and 'fvec' is the same and either one, but not both of the names should have been used. If I'm wrong, please explain the exact meaning of both items and difference between them.

--Sergei.

Re: Apparent missing/wrong/conflicting items in the description of 'fsolve' ('fvec' <-> 'fval')

Doug Stewart-4

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 4:35 PM Sergei Steshenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello All,

looking into GNU Octave: Solvers

I see among other things:

"
Function File: [x, fvec, info, output, fjac] = fsolve (fcn, …
".

Pay special attention  to 'fvec' - I do not see it anywhere else in the webpage. OTOH later on I see:

"
On return, fval contains the value of the function fcn evaluated at x
".

I think that 'fval' and 'fvec' is the same and either one, but not both of the names should have been used. If I'm wrong, please explain the exact meaning of both items and difference between them.

--Sergei.

You are correct. The documentation needs fixed.
Do you want to provide a fix?

--
DAS

[...]

==================================

"Do you want to provide a fix?" - here are the INSTRUCTIONS:

1) open the source code page from which the documentation is generated;
2) replace 'fvec' with 'fval' everywhere (you might need to learn how to use a text editor for that).

--Sergei.

Re: Apparent missing/wrong/conflicting items in the description of 'fsolve' ('fvec' <-> 'fval')

siko1056
On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 5:42 PM Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 4:35 PM Sergei Steshenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]
I think that 'fval' and 'fvec' is the same and either one, but not both of the names should have been used. If I'm wrong, please explain the exact meaning of both items and difference between them.

--Sergei.

You are correct. The documentation needs fixed.
Do you want to provide a fix?

--
DAS

> "Do you want to provide a fix?" - here are the INSTRUCTIONS:
> 1) open the source code page from which the documentation is generated;
> 2) replace 'fvec' with 'fval' everywhere (you might need to learn how to use a text editor for that).
> --Sergei.

Sergei, thank you for the report.  These small changes might result big issues, requiring much more time to fix them.  Imagine "fvec" really had a special meaning.  Then copy&paste fixes will mess up the code.  All DAS was asking for was to prepare something like I did now:  https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/5d28fc32a7c7

Best,
Kai