Audiowrite Ogg Vorbis Compressor

Greg Goetchius

Hello,

I am running Octave 4.2.1 and cannot seem to get the compression quality to work when creating an audio (WAV) file using audiowrite command. Is the ‘Quality’ argument still functional in this version?

The syntax I used is:

audiowrite(‘filename.wav’,y,XXX,’Quality’,100)

The error message is:

“error: audiowrite: wrong argument name”

Thanks,

Greg

Greg Goetchius

Engineering Manager, NVH

248-672-3236

[hidden email]

125 Constitution Drive, Menlo Park CA, 94025

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Z5kZ9FEY9W_kaOjHvINs43Om2SDEWqmi-eFZ3NJXhL2lRkXjXg7xOmIX1C2m-XTgh1omo-xGkWGZU81TyUlsJIeHl6yC7VOiPXx6hos5jv2-Kzs-nLjwFkyrX_MgGuRcz4wSXyGN

This E-mail is an electronic communication under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC 2510, and its disclosure is strictly limited to the intended recipient.  This E-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient and receipt by anyone other than then the intended recipient does not constitute a loss of the confidential or privileged nature of the communication.   Any review or distribution by others is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return electronic mail and delete all copies of this communication.

Re: Audiowrite Ogg Vorbis Compressor

Peter P.-2
* Greg Goetchius <[hidden email]> [2017-08-09 03:55]:

> Hello,
>

> I am running Octave 4.2.1 and cannot seem to get the compression quality to
> work when creating an audio (WAV) file using audiowrite command. Is the
> ‘Quality’ argument still functional in this version?
>

> The syntax I used is:
>

> audiowrite(‘filename.wav’,y,XXX,’Quality’,100)
audiowrite(‘filename.ogg’,y,XXX,’Quality’,100)
 perhaps?

RE: Audiowrite Ogg Vorbis Compressor

Gregory Goetchius
Hello Peter.

Thanks for responding.  I tried the *.ogg extension and got the same error
message: "wrong argument name"

I tried version 4.0 and 4.2.0 and got the same error. It seems that the
'Quality' argument is no longer supported.

Any other ideas?

Greg

Greg Goetchius
Engineering Manager, NVH
248-672-3236
[hidden email]
125 Constitution Drive, Menlo Park CA, 94025

This E-mail is an electronic communication under the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC 2510, and its disclosure is strictly
limited to the intended recipient.  This E-mail may contain confidential and
privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient and receipt
by anyone other than then the intended recipient does not constitute a loss
of the confidential or privileged nature of the communication.   Any review
or distribution by others is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by return electronic mail and
delete all copies of this communication.

* Greg Goetchius <[hidden email]> [2017-08-09 03:55]:

> Hello,
>

> I am running Octave 4.2.1 and cannot seem to get the compression
> quality to work when creating an audio (WAV) file using audiowrite
> command. Is the ‘Quality’ argument still functional in this version?
>

> The syntax I used is:
>

> audiowrite(‘filename.wav’,y,XXX,’Quality’,100)
audiowrite(‘filename.ogg’,y,XXX,’Quality’,100)
 perhaps?

Re: Audiowrite Ogg Vorbis Compressor

Mike Miller-4
On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 16:37:22 -0700, Greg Goetchius wrote:
> I am running Octave 4.2.1 and cannot seem to get the compression quality to
> work when creating an audio (WAV) file using audiowrite command. Is the
> ‘Quality’ argument still functional in this version?

It looks to me like the Quality option has not yet been implemented. You
could file a bug to request that this be implemented in a future version
of Octave.

  https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=octave

On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 08:32:14 -0700, Gregory Goetchius wrote:
> Thanks for responding.  I tried the *.ogg extension and got the same error
> message: "wrong argument name"
>
> I tried version 4.0 and 4.2.0 and got the same error. It seems that the
> 'Quality' argument is no longer supported.

Just to follow up on this thread for posterity, the Quality option has
now been implemented and will be supported in Octave 4.4.