Quantcast

BLAS library incompatible with Fortran 77 compiler settings

12

BLAS library incompatible with Fortran 77 compiler settings

babelproofreader
I'm trying to install Octave-3.6.2 from source on Ubuntu 12.04 with KDE desktop but when I run the Octave configure script I get this error

BLAS library was detected but found incompatible with your Fortran 77 compiler settings.

I used ./configure F77=gfortran as was suggested by numerous web searches and I've ensured that the alternatives system F77 files are moved out of harms way as per the comments in this stackoverflow post. The installed BLAS libraries are those installed by the package manager. I've been at this for hours now, and still no luck. Any suggestions?

Re: BLAS library incompatible with Fortran 77 compiler settings

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 25 September 2012 10:32, babelproofreader <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm trying to install Octave-3.6.2 from source on Ubuntu 12.04

Does this backport not work well for you?

    https://launchpad.net/~picaso/+archive/octave

Might be better than chasing build problems on your own.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: BLAS library incompatible with Fortran 77 compiler settings

babelproofreader
That backport doesn't work for me - adding it to my sources.list file and then sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade doesn't pull anything in - the message I get is that nothing is installed, upgraded or removed.

Re: BLAS library incompatible with Fortran 77 compiler settings

eem2314

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 9:08 AM, babelproofreader <[hidden email]> wrote:
That backport doesn't work for me - adding it to my sources.list file and
then sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade doesn't pull anything
in - the message I get is that nothing is installed, upgraded or removed.

are you configuring with --enable-64?  your blas were probably built with 32-bit ints;  or possibly
with 64-bit ints and adding --enable-64 would work.  A look at config.log might reveal the cause.

--
Ed Meyer

On 25 September 2012 12:08, babelproofreader <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That backport doesn't work for me - adding it to my sources.list file and
> then sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade doesn't pull anything
> in - the message I get is that nothing is installed, upgraded or removed.

What happens if you do "sudo apt-get install octave/picaso"? What does
"apt-cache policy" say?

I do insist that it's easier to do this than to build from source,
unless you already know you have special requirements that are only
satisfied by building from source.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: BLAS library incompatible with Fortran 77 compiler settings

Laurent Hoeltgen

<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8073199/octave-make-command-fails-with-cannot-open-file-debug-h>
. The installed BLAS libraries are those installed by the package manager.
I've been at this for hours now, and still no luck. Any suggestions?

I have been happily building the current development sources of octave under xubuntu 12.04 for quite some while now. A simple

../configure
make
make install

always worked for fine. So, just out of curiosity, why do you need the  F77=gfortran?

Regards,
Laurent

Re: BLAS library incompatible with Fortran 77 compiler settings

babelproofreader
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
On 25 September 2012 12:08, babelproofreader <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That backport doesn't work for me - adding it to my sources.list file and
> then sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade doesn't pull anything
> in - the message I get is that nothing is installed, upgraded or removed.

What happens if you do "sudo apt-get install octave/picaso"? What does
"apt-cache policy" say?

I do insist that it's easier to do this than to build from source,
unless you already know you have special requirements that are only
satisfied by building from source.

- Jordi G. H.
My relevant terminal output is

andrew@andrew-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install octave/picaso
[sudo] password for andrew:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Release 'picaso' for 'octave' was not found
andrew@andrew-desktop:~$ apt-cache policy
Package files:
 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     release a=now
 500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/picaso/octave/ubuntu/ precise/main i386 Packages
     release v=12.04,o=LP-PPA-picaso-octave,a=precise,n=precise,l=octave3.6.1,c=main
     origin ppa.launchpad.net
 500 http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/main i386 Packages
     release v=12.04,o=LP-PPA-app-review-board,a=precise,n=precise,l=Application Review Board PPA,c=main
     origin extras.ubuntu.com
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise-backports/universe Translation-en
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise-backports/restricted Translation-en
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise-backports/multiverse Translation-en
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise-backports/main Translation-en
 100 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise-backports/multiverse i386 Packages
     release v=12.04,o=Ubuntu,a=precise-backports,n=precise,l=Ubuntu,c=multiverse
     origin ubuntu.task.gda.pl
 100 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise-backports/universe i386 Packages
     release v=12.04,o=Ubuntu,a=precise-backports,n=precise,l=Ubuntu,c=universe
     origin ubuntu.task.gda.pl
 100 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise-backports/restricted i386 Packages
     release v=12.04,o=Ubuntu,a=precise-backports,n=precise,l=Ubuntu,c=restricted
     origin ubuntu.task.gda.pl
 100 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise-backports/main i386 Packages
     release v=12.04,o=Ubuntu,a=precise-backports,n=precise,l=Ubuntu,c=main
     origin ubuntu.task.gda.pl
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise-security/universe Translation-en
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise-security/restricted Translation-en
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise-security/multiverse Translation-en
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise-security/main Translation-en
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise-security/universe i386 Packages
     release v=12.04,o=Ubuntu,a=precise-security,n=precise,l=Ubuntu,c=universe
     origin ubuntu.task.gda.pl
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise-security/multiverse i386 Packages
     release v=12.04,o=Ubuntu,a=precise-security,n=precise,l=Ubuntu,c=multiverse
     origin ubuntu.task.gda.pl
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise-security/restricted i386 Packages
     release v=12.04,o=Ubuntu,a=precise-security,n=precise,l=Ubuntu,c=restricted
     origin ubuntu.task.gda.pl
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise-security/main i386 Packages
     release v=12.04,o=Ubuntu,a=precise-security,n=precise,l=Ubuntu,c=main
     origin ubuntu.task.gda.pl
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise-updates/universe Translation-en
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise-updates/restricted Translation-en
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise-updates/multiverse Translation-en
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main Translation-en
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise-updates/universe i386 Packages
     release v=12.04,o=Ubuntu,a=precise-updates,n=precise,l=Ubuntu,c=universe
     origin ubuntu.task.gda.pl
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise-updates/multiverse i386 Packages
     release v=12.04,o=Ubuntu,a=precise-updates,n=precise,l=Ubuntu,c=multiverse
     origin ubuntu.task.gda.pl
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise-updates/restricted i386 Packages
     release v=12.04,o=Ubuntu,a=precise-updates,n=precise,l=Ubuntu,c=restricted
     origin ubuntu.task.gda.pl
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main i386 Packages
     release v=12.04,o=Ubuntu,a=precise-updates,n=precise,l=Ubuntu,c=main
     origin ubuntu.task.gda.pl
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise/universe Translation-en
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise/restricted Translation-en
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise/multiverse Translation-en
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise/main Translation-en
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise/universe i386 Packages
     release v=12.04,o=Ubuntu,a=precise,n=precise,l=Ubuntu,c=universe
     origin ubuntu.task.gda.pl
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise/multiverse i386 Packages
     release v=12.04,o=Ubuntu,a=precise,n=precise,l=Ubuntu,c=multiverse
     origin ubuntu.task.gda.pl
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise/restricted i386 Packages
     release v=12.04,o=Ubuntu,a=precise,n=precise,l=Ubuntu,c=restricted
     origin ubuntu.task.gda.pl
 500 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise/main i386 Packages
     release v=12.04,o=Ubuntu,a=precise,n=precise,l=Ubuntu,c=main
     origin ubuntu.task.gda.pl
Pinned packages:
andrew@andrew-desktop:~$

gives the incompatible error mentioned above. I tried using F77=gfortran because a web search with the error message turned up many hits that suggested using gfortran would solve the problem, but in my case it doesn't seem to have helped.

On 25 September 2012 13:41, babelproofreader <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
>> On 25 September 2012 12:08, babelproofreader &lt;
>
>> babelproofreader@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>> That backport doesn't work for me - adding it to my sources.list file and
>>> then sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade doesn't pull
>>> anything
>>> in - the message I get is that nothing is installed, upgraded or removed.
>>
>> What happens if you do "sudo apt-get install octave/picaso"? What does
>> "apt-cache policy" say?
>>
>> I do insist that it's easier to do this than to build from source,
>> unless you already know you have special requirements that are only
>> satisfied by building from source.
>>
>> - Jordi G. H.
>
> My relevant terminal output is
>
> andrew@andrew-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install octave/picaso
> [sudo] password for andrew:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Release 'picaso' for 'octave' was not found
> andrew@andrew-desktop:~$ apt-cache policy
> Package files:
>  100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      release a=now
>  500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/picaso/octave/ubuntu/ precise/main i386
> Packages
>      release
> v=12.04,o=LP-PPA-picaso-octave,a=precise,n=precise,l=octave3.6.1,c=main
>      origin ppa.launchpad.net

Okay, looks like it's there. "apt-cache policy octave" says what? Does
"sudo apt-get install octave" work?

- Jordi G. H.

with 64-bit ints and adding --enable-64 would work.  A look at config.log
might reveal the cause.
I'm trying to install on a 32-bit machine. Would this make a difference?

Re: BLAS library incompatible with Fortran 77 compiler settings

babelproofreader
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
Okay, looks like it's there. "apt-cache policy octave" says what? Does
"sudo apt-get install octave" work?
"apt-cache policy octave" gives

andrew@andrew-desktop:~$ apt-cache policy octave
octave:
  Installed: 3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1
  Candidate: 3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1
  Version table:
 *** 3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1 0
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/picaso/octave/ubuntu/ precise/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
andrew@andrew-desktop:~$

"sudo apt-get install octave"  does not work, giving

andrew@andrew-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install octave
[sudo] password for andrew:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  libunity6 libdee-1.0-1
  libgl2ps0 liboctave1 octave-common
Suggested packages:
  octave-info octave-htmldoc
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  octave3.2 octave3.2-dbg
  libgl2ps0 liboctave1 octave octave-common
0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 11.0 MB of archives.
After this operation, 204 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
Get:1 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise/universe libgl2ps0 i386 1.3.6-1 [37.4 kB]
Get:2 http://ppa.launchpad.net/picaso/octave/ubuntu/ precise/main liboctave1 i386 3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1 [8,196 kB]
Get:3 http://ppa.launchpad.net/picaso/octave/ubuntu/ precise/main octave-common all 3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1 [1,053 kB]
Get:4 http://ppa.launchpad.net/picaso/octave/ubuntu/ precise/main octave i386 3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1 [1,702 kB]
Fetched 11.0 MB in 12s (864 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 291687 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing octave3.2-dbg ...
Removing octave3.2 ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Selecting previously unselected package libgl2ps0.
(Reading database ... 291565 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libgl2ps0 (from .../libgl2ps0_1.3.6-1_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package liboctave1.
Unpacking liboctave1 (from .../liboctave1_3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package octave-common.
Unpacking octave-common (from .../octave-common_3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package octave.
Unpacking octave (from .../octave_3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1_i386.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Setting up libgl2ps0 (1.3.6-1) ...
Setting up liboctave1 (3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1) ...
Setting up octave-common (3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1) ...
Setting up octave (3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1) ...
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
dpkg: error processing octave (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 139
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
 octave
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/locale: 0 KiB
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/man: 0 KiB
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/gnome/help: 0 KiB
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/omf: 0 KiB
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML: 0 KiB

Total disk space freed by localepurge: 0 KiB

andrew@andrew-desktop:~$

after which trying octave gives

andrew@andrew-desktop:~$ octave

On 25 September 2012 14:21, babelproofreader <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
>> Okay, looks like it's there. "apt-cache policy octave" says what? Does
>> "sudo apt-get install octave" work?
>
> "apt-cache policy octave" gives
>
> andrew@andrew-desktop:~$ apt-cache policy octave
> octave:
>   Installed: 3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1
>   Candidate: 3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1
>   Version table:
>  *** 3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1 0
>         500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/picaso/octave/ubuntu/ precise/main i386
> Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> andrew@andrew-desktop:~$
>
> "sudo apt-get install octave"  does not work, giving
[snip]
> Setting up octave (3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1) ...
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> dpkg: error processing octave (--configure):
>  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status

Well, well, well... that's bad news. Looks like a packaging bug. Do
you still have any octave3.2 packages installed? For example,
octave3.2-common, is that installed? Remove it and install
octave-common instead.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: BLAS library incompatible with Fortran 77 compiler settings

babelproofreader
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
Well, well, well... that's bad news. Looks like a packaging bug. Do
you still have any octave3.2 packages installed? For example,
octave3.2-common, is that installed? Remove it and install
octave-common instead.
octave3.2-common was installed, so I used the package manager to uninstall it. Now, acording to the package manager I have these installed

liboctave1
octave
octave-common

all seeming to be 3.6.1 from the ppa, but calling octave from the terminal still gives

On 25 September 2012 15:09, babelproofreader <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
>> Well, well, well... that's bad news. Looks like a packaging bug. Do
>> you still have any octave3.2 packages installed? For example,
>> octave3.2-common, is that installed? Remove it and install
>> octave-common instead.
>
> octave3.2-common was installed, so I used the package manager to uninstall
> it. Now, acording to the package manager I have these installed

What about Octave-Forge packages? Do you have any package with octave-
prefixed that is *not* from the PPA? "apt-show-versions | grep
octave", anything remaining?

Also, have you tried doing "sudo apt-get install --reinstall octave"?

And sorry, I thought this would be simple. Maybe it's some consolation
that the next Ubuntu release will have 3.6.2, and we can all finally
forget 3.2.4

    http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/octave

- Jordi G. H.

Re: BLAS library incompatible with Fortran 77 compiler settings

babelproofreader
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
What about Octave-Forge packages? Do you have any package with octave-
prefixed that is *not* from the PPA? "apt-show-versions | grep
octave", anything remaining?

Also, have you tried doing "sudo apt-get install --reinstall octave"?
Trying the above suggestions give

andrew@andrew-desktop:~$ apt-show-versions | grep octave
The program 'apt-show-versions' is currently not installed.  You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install apt-show-versions
andrew@andrew-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install apt-show-versions
[sudo] password for andrew:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  libunity6 libdee-1.0-1
  libapt-pkg-perl
  apt-show-versions libapt-pkg-perl
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 32.9 kB/115 kB of archives.
After this operation, 435 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
Get:1 http://ubuntu.task.gda.pl/ubuntu/ precise/universe apt-show-versions all 0.17 [32.9 kB]
Fetched 32.9 kB in 0s (230 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package libapt-pkg-perl.
(Reading database ... 292579 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libapt-pkg-perl (from .../libapt-pkg-perl_0.1.25build2_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package apt-show-versions.
Unpacking apt-show-versions (from .../apt-show-versions_0.17_all.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up octave (3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1) ...
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
dpkg: error processing octave (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 139
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of liboctave-dev:
 liboctave-dev depends on octave (= 3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1); however:
  Package octave is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing liboctave-dev (--configure):
Setting up libapt-pkg-perl (0.1.25build2) ...
No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
                          Setting up apt-show-versions (0.17) ...
** initializing cache. This may take a while **
 octave
 liboctave-dev
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/locale: 0 KiB
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/man: 20 KiB
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/gnome/help: 0 KiB
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/omf: 0 KiB
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML: 0 KiB

Total disk space freed by localepurge: 20 KiB

andrew@andrew-desktop:~$ apt-show-versions | grep octave
liboctave-dev/precise uptodate 3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1
liboctave1/precise uptodate 3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1
octave/precise uptodate 3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1
octave-common/precise uptodate 3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1
andrew@andrew-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall octave
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  libunity6 libdee-1.0-1
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
[...]

so still no joy. Perhaps my original attempt to compile from source is the way to go for me. Any suggestions about how to overcome the gfortran and configure problem?

Re: BLAS library incompatible with Fortran 77 compiler settings

Thomas Weber-3
On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:55:03PM -0700, babelproofreader wrote:
> Setting up octave (3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1) ...
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> so still no joy. Perhaps my original attempt to compile from source is the
> way to go for me. Any suggestions about how to overcome the gfortran and
> configure problem?

You need to get the above fixed or dpkg will try to configure octave at
every invocation and octave will continue to segfault at every
invocation.

Step 1: Remove the PPA from your sources.list file.
Step 2: Update the list of available packages (apt-get update)
Step 3: Remove every package with 'octave' in its name using your
preferred package manager (this step will probably fail with 'octave',
but maybe we can get rid of some of the other packages).

Step 4: Report back here, so we can continue.

        Thomas

Re: BLAS library incompatible with Fortran 77 compiler settings

babelproofreader
Thomas Weber-3 wrote
You need to get the above fixed...

Step 1: Remove the PPA from your sources.list file.
Step 2: Update the list of available packages (apt-get update)
Step 3: Remove every package with 'octave' in its name using your
preferred package manager (this step will probably fail with 'octave',
but maybe we can get rid of some of the other packages).

Step 4: Report back here, so we can continue.
 steps 1 through 3 are done; it seems my system is now completely clear of Octave. Nothing with Octave shows as being installed in the package manager and terminal is:-

andrew@andrew-desktop:~$ apt-show-versions | grep octave
andrew@andrew-desktop:~$ octave --version
The program 'octave' is currently not installed.  You can install it by typing: sudo apt-get install octave3.2
andrew@andrew-desktop:~$ apt-cache policy octave
octave:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: (none)
Version table:      3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
andrew@andrew-desktop:~$

On 25 September 2012 15:55, babelproofreader <[hidden email]> wrote:

> so still no joy. Perhaps my original attempt to compile from source
> is the way to go for me. Any suggestions about how to overcome the
> gfortran and configure problem?

I doubt the problem is gfortran. I'm guessing the issue is you have
the wrong build-deps.

Keep the picaso PPA. Using this PPA, if you do

    sudo apt-get build-dep octave

do you see things like ATLAS getting installed?

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 04:42:39PM -0700, babelproofreader wrote:

>  steps 1 through 3 are done; it seems my system is now completely clear of
> Octave. Nothing with Octave shows as being installed in the package manager
> and terminal is:-
>
> andrew@andrew-desktop:~$ apt-show-versions | grep octave
> andrew@andrew-desktop:~$ octave --version
> The program 'octave' is currently not installed.  You can install it by
> typing: sudo apt-get install octave3.2
> andrew@andrew-desktop:~$ apt-cache policy octave
> octave:
> Installed: (none)
> Candidate: (none)
> Version table:      3.6.1-1ubuntu1ppa1~precise1 0
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> andrew@andrew-desktop:~$

Good (it's actually better than I expected). Now, let's build a recent
Octave for your system. Go to
http://packages.debian.org/source/unstable/octave
and scroll down to the end of the page where it says 'Download octave'.
You need the .dsc file, the .orig.tar.bz2 and the .debian.tar.gz file.

The easiest way is to install the package 'devscripts' which brings a
command 'dget'. Call this with the URL to the .dsc file:
        $ dget -u http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/o/octave/octave_3.6.2-5.dsc
This will download and extract the files from above in your current
working directory. You should now have an octave directory, so change
into that:
        $ cd octave-3.6.2/
And now build the package
        $ dpkg-buildpackage
If the command complains about missing dependencies, install them. You
can get a list of all needed packages by looking into the file
debian/control - the Build-Depends line is your friend. You should end
up with several .deb files which you install in your system via (as root
or via sudo)
        # dpkg -i NameOfDebFiles

Thanks
        Thomas

[...]

I tried this approach and I get stuck on a dependency. Trying to install liblapack3 with

sudo dpkg -i liblapack3_3.4.1-6_i386.deb

gives

dpkg: regarding liblapack3_3.4.1-6_i386.deb containing liblapack3:
 liblapack3 breaks liblapack3gf (<< 3.4.1-1)
  liblapack3gf (version 3.3.1-1) is present and installed.
dpkg: error processing liblapack3_3.4.1-6_i386.deb (--install):
 installing liblapack3 would break liblapack3gf, and
 deconfiguration is not permitted (--auto-deconfigure might help)
 liblapack3_3.4.1-6_i386.deb

I tried to uninstall liblapack3gf  but then the package manager (and sudo apt-get remove) automatically installs libatlas3gf-base and then I get

dpkg: regarding liblapack3_3.4.1-6_i386.deb containing liblapack3:
 liblapack3 breaks libatlas3gf-base (<< 3.8.4-4)
  libatlas3gf-base (<< 3.8.4-4) is present and installed.
dpkg: error processing liblapack3_3.4.1-6_i386.deb (--install):
 installing liblapack3 would break ibatlas3gf-base, and
 deconfiguration is not permitted (--auto-deconfigure might help)
 liblapack3_3.4.1-6_i386.deb

and so I end up in a vicious circle. The inability to uninstall both libatlas3gf-base and liblapack3gf seems to be preventing me from proceeding.
12