Quantcast

Binary packages for 3.8

12345

Binary packages for 3.8

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
How are we coming along for getting binary packages for Windows and
Mac OS X ready for the next release? A Windows installer and a Mac OS
X dmg or app bundle. I think these are absolutely essential. If we're
going to release the GUI, we want everyone to be able to see it.

Where can I help?

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

On 10/09/2013 03:17 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> How are we coming along for getting binary packages for Windows and
> Mac OS X ready for the next release? A Windows installer and a Mac OS
> X dmg or app bundle. I think these are absolutely essential. If we're
> going to release the GUI, we want everyone to be able to see it.

I think that having an official Windows binary package is essential
because there is no package manager for Windows.  An OS X binary package
would be nice, but I don't see it as essential.  There are package
managers for OS X and it seems to be harder to build a binary package
for OS X.  But if it is possible to do, then OK.

Building for Windows works.  Help with an installer for Windows is needed.

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On Wed, 2013-10-09 at 15:21 -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:

> Building for Windows works. Help with an installer for Windows is
> needed.

What's the status on that? Did we decide to go with NSIS or .msi or
something else entirely?

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

Michael Goffioul
On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 3:54 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 2013-10-09 at 15:21 -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:

> Building for Windows works. Help with an installer for Windows is
> needed.

What's the status on that? Did we decide to go with NSIS or .msi or
something else entirely?

Anirudha's work still need to be reintegrated back into MXE. This provides a basic NSIS-based installer. As for OS X, Anirudha also managed to build a dmg, but this will probably need further testing.

Michael.

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

c.-2

On 9 Oct 2013, at 22:12, Michael Goffioul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As for OS X, Anirudha also managed to build a dmg, but this will probably need further testing.
Is the dmg available for testing anywhere?
I am unable to build binaries using Anirhuda's scripts.
Ben IIRC you didn't manage to do that either, did you?
c.

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

bpabbott
Administrator
On Oct 9, 2013, at 4:22 PM, c. wrote:

> On 9 Oct 2013, at 22:12, Michael Goffioul <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> As for OS X, Anirudha also managed to build a dmg, but this will probably need further testing.
> Is the dmg available for testing anywhere?
> I am unable to build binaries using Anirhuda's scripts.
> Ben IIRC you didn't manage to do that either, did you?
> c.

My understanding is that his scripts work for MacOS 10.8, but didn't work for me on MacOS 10.7.5.

Which version of MacOS did you try?

Ben

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

c.-2

On 10 Oct 2013, at 04:08, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My understanding is that his scripts work for MacOS 10.8, but didn't work for me on MacOS 10.7.5.
>
> Which version of MacOS did you try?
10.8.5, I'll give it another try over the weekend.

> Ben
c.

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

bpabbott
Administrator
On Oct 9, 2013, at 11:25 PM, c. wrote:

> On 10 Oct 2013, at 04:08, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that his scripts work for MacOS 10.8, but didn't work for me on MacOS 10.7.5.
>>
>> Which version of MacOS did you try?
> 10.8.5, I'll give it another try over the weekend.
>
>> Ben
> c.

If you still have problems, try reporting the problem to Anirhuda.  He was helpful for me and fixed many problems.  Also please copy me in case it would be helpful for me.

Ben

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

c.-2

On 10 Oct 2013, at 14:17, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you still have problems, try reporting the problem to Anirhuda.  He was helpful for me and fixed many problems.  Also please copy me in case it would be helpful for me.
>
> Ben

Yes,

I will report back my experiences when I try.

BTW, as an experiment I tried building an onstaller for Octave 3.6.4 from MacPorts.
I am 99.99% sure that it should not work with OSX < 10.8 and it might mess up with
a previously installed MacPorts tree, but in case you want to give it a try you
can get it from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20MacOSX%20Binary/octave-devel-3.6.4-8.dmg/download

c.

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

bpabbott
Administrator
On Oct 10, 2013, at 9:31 AM, c. wrote:

> On 10 Oct 2013, at 14:17, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If you still have problems, try reporting the problem to Anirhuda.  He was helpful for me and fixed many problems.  Also please copy me in case it would be helpful for me.
>>
>> Ben
>
> Yes,
>
> I will report back my experiences when I try.
>
> BTW, as an experiment I tried building an onstaller for Octave 3.6.4 from MacPorts.
> I am 99.99% sure that it should not work with OSX < 10.8 and it might mess up with
> a previously installed MacPorts tree, but in case you want to give it a try you
> can get it from here:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20MacOSX%20Binary/octave-devel-3.6.4-8.dmg/download
>
> c.

Does it install in /opt/local or install an app-bundle?

Ben

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

c.-2

On 10 Oct 2013, at 15:39, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Oct 10, 2013, at 9:31 AM, c. wrote:
>
>> On 10 Oct 2013, at 14:17, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> If you still have problems, try reporting the problem to Anirhuda.  He was helpful for me and fixed many problems.  Also please copy me in case it would be helpful for me.
>>>
>>> Ben
>>
>> Yes,
>>
>> I will report back my experiences when I try.
>>
>> BTW, as an experiment I tried building an onstaller for Octave 3.6.4 from MacPorts.
>> I am 99.99% sure that it should not work with OSX < 10.8 and it might mess up with
>> a previously installed MacPorts tree, but in case you want to give it a try you
>> can get it from here:
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20MacOSX%20Binary/octave-devel-3.6.4-8.dmg/download
>>
>> c.
>
> Does it install in /opt/local or install an app-bundle?
This version installs in /opt/local but the dmg includes an app bundle to start Octave in a terminal.
My plan is to have all libs installed in the app bundle in the end but this was just a preliminary test.

> Ben
c.

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

bpabbott
Administrator
On Oct 10, 2013, at 9:46 AM, c. wrote:

> On 10 Oct 2013, at 15:39, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Yes,
>>>
>>> I will report back my experiences when I try.
>>>
>>> BTW, as an experiment I tried building an onstaller for Octave 3.6.4 from MacPorts.
>>> I am 99.99% sure that it should not work with OSX < 10.8 and it might mess up with
>>> a previously installed MacPorts tree, but in case you want to give it a try you
>>> can get it from here:
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20MacOSX%20Binary/octave-devel-3.6.4-8.dmg/download
>>>
>>> c.
>>
>> Does it install in /opt/local or install an app-bundle?
> This version installs in /opt/local but the dmg includes an app bundle to start Octave in a terminal.
> My plan is to have all libs installed in the app bundle in the end but this was just a preliminary test.
>
>> Ben
> c.

Ok.  I was able to do what you're working on.  The ease/robustness of the approach was sensitive to the installed port variants.  If you run into any esoteric weirdness, let me know.

Ben

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

c.-2

On 10 Oct 2013, at 16:00, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok.  I was able to do what you're working on.  The ease/robustness of the approach was sensitive to the installed port variants.  If you run into any esoteric weirdness, let me know.
>
> Ben

Yes, I remember you did that's why I'm trying this approach again ...
As you've been there already, is there any specific trick you remeber you had to use to make things work?
My next step will be to create a portfile for Octave 3.7, maybe you also tried thi already?
c.

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

bpabbott
Administrator
On Oct 10, 2013, at 10:09 AM, c. wrote:

> On 10 Oct 2013, at 16:00, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ok.  I was able to do what you're working on.  The ease/robustness of the approach was sensitive to the installed port variants.  If you run into any esoteric weirdness, let me know.
>>
>> Ben
>
> Yes, I remember you did that's why I'm trying this approach again ...
> As you've been there already, is there any specific trick you remeber you had to use to make things work?
> My next step will be to create a portfile for Octave 3.7, maybe you also tried thi already?
> c.
I documented my attempt on the wiki.

        http://wiki.octave.org/Create_a_MacOS_X_App_Bundle_Using_MacPorts

There are some scripts there that you may find helpful.  The TODO at the bottom is not up to date.  For example, I was eventually successful with mkoctfile helloworld.cc.  I'm not certain, but I think the mkoctfile attached is my last version (I don't think I placed it on the wiki yet).

I last modified the wiki-page while working on a bundle for 3.6.4, which I never finished.  As a result, part of it indicates 3.7 and the rest 3.6.4 (sorry about that).  The last bundle I was successful with was for 3.7.0. The portfile I used is attached.

For reliability it will be wise to start with ...

        port uninstall --follow-dependents --follow-dependencies octave-local

... that will ensure all variants align themselves and that any "deactivated" ones done interfere.

Since that is a rather aggressive thing to do, I suggest adding a second bootable hard drive just for that purpose.  After that, it should be straight forward to combine a makefile and a bare application-template to automate the construction of an app-bundle.  The tricky part with that lies in the Octave shell script and the mkoctfile script.  The Octave shell script is on the wiki at the link below.

        http://wiki.octave.org/MacOS_X_App_Octave_Shell_Script

Ben

mkoctfile-3.7.0+ (15K) Download Attachment
Portfile (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

c.-2
Hi Ben,

In order to try building an Octave bndle via macports I installed a separate instance
of macports on my mac building it from source in order to be able to set a prefix other
than /opt/local.

I'm using the attached Portfile which is a slightly modified version of the one you sent.

I am experiencing a strange problem, i.e., while using the macports installed in /opt/local
Octave works OK while, if I switch to the other instance, the build completes but the resulting
binary crashes when plotting with the fltk/opengl backend.

This only happens in the gui version while octave-cli plots fine with fltk.

If I switch to gnuplot backend plot semms to work.

Have you ever noticed this behaviour with Octave in macports?

I suspect this might be due to some dependencies being newer in one of the two macports trees,
but I don't know wich ones to look at as fltk, qt4-mac and qscintilla are the same version.

Any suggestions?

c.

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

c.-2

On 22 Oct 2013, at 19:24, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> In order to try building an Octave bndle via macports I installed a separate instance
> of macports on my mac building it from source in order to be able to set a prefix other
> than /opt/local.
>
> I'm using the attached Portfile which is a slightly modified version of the one you sent.
>
> I am experiencing a strange problem, i.e., while using the macports installed in /opt/local
> Octave works OK while, if I switch to the other instance, the build completes but the resulting
> binary crashes when plotting with the fltk/opengl backend.
>
> This only happens in the gui version while octave-cli plots fine with fltk.
>
> If I switch to gnuplot backend plot semms to work.
>
> Have you ever noticed this behaviour with Octave in macports?
>
> I suspect this might be due to some dependencies being newer in one of the two macports trees,
> but I don't know wich ones to look at as fltk, qt4-mac and qscintilla are the same version.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> c.
oops, I forgot to attach the Portfile!
Here it is.

c.

Portfile (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

bpabbott
Hi Carlo,

The fltk toolkit has always crashed the gui for me.  I was negligent in filing a bug report, but one is there now.

        https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40242

There's also the GUI/pager problem on MacOSX.  I just opened a bug report for that.

        https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40350

Ben

On Oct 22, 2013, at 1:24 PM, c. wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> In order to try building an Octave bndle via macports I installed a separate instance
> of macports on my mac building it from source in order to be able to set a prefix other
> than /opt/local.
>
> I'm using the attached Portfile which is a slightly modified version of the one you sent.
>
> I am experiencing a strange problem, i.e., while using the macports installed in /opt/local
> Octave works OK while, if I switch to the other instance, the build completes but the resulting
> binary crashes when plotting with the fltk/opengl backend.
>
> This only happens in the gui version while octave-cli plots fine with fltk.
>
> If I switch to gnuplot backend plot semms to work.
>
> Have you ever noticed this behaviour with Octave in macports?
>
> I suspect this might be due to some dependencies being newer in one of the two macports trees,
> but I don't know wich ones to look at as fltk, qt4-mac and qscintilla are the same version.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> c.

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

c.-2
Hi,

On 22 Oct 2013, at 19:45, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Carlo,
>
> The fltk toolkit has always crashed the gui for me.  I was negligent in filing a bug report, but one is there now.
>
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40242

Yes, I noticed this one just a few seconds after posting!
So what is actually surprising is that fltk is working with one of my macports trees ...
What I can do is produce a list of the recursive dependences list for both installations
and post it so we can try to spot

> There's also the GUI/pager problem on MacOSX.  I just opened a bug report for that.
>
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40350

yes I was aware of this one, I tend to forget it just because I have "more off" in my .octaverc ...

> Ben

Thanks!
c.

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

bpabbott
Administrator

On Oct 22, 2013, at 1:54 PM, c. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 22 Oct 2013, at 19:45, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Carlo,
>>
>> The fltk toolkit has always crashed the gui for me.  I was negligent in filing a bug report, but one is there now.
>>
>> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40242
>
> Yes, I noticed this one just a few seconds after posting!
> So what is actually surprising is that fltk is working with one of my macports trees ...
> What I can do is produce a list of the recursive dependences list for both installations
> and post it so we can try to spot
>

>> There's also the GUI/pager problem on MacOSX.  I just opened a bug report for that.
>>
>> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40350
>
> yes I was aware of this one, I tend to forget it just because I have "more off" in my .octaverc ...
>
>> Ben
>
> Thanks!
> c.

I've added both the the list of bugs in the hope they can be fixed before the next release.

        http://wiki.octave.org/3.8_Bug_Fix_List#Bugs_with_severity_.3E.3D_4

Ben

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

c.-2

On 22 Oct 2013, at 19:56, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've added both the the list of bugs in the hope they can be fixed before the next release.
>
> http://wiki.octave.org/3.8_Bug_Fix_List#Bugs_with_severity_.3E.3D_4
>
> Ben

Hi,

 I uploaded a new test version of the app bundle built from
 the development sources on Octave Forge.

 I would appreciate feedback from Mountain Lion users, I am
 almost sure it won't work on neither Lion or Mavericks, but
 I wouldn't mind if someone could confirm this.

 Attached is the list of licenses of all installed dependencies,
 could someone also confirm whther they are all GPLv3 compatible?

Enjoy,
c.

open_7pMA7MTk.txt (4K) Download Attachment
12345