Brief details about pkg package manager.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Brief details about pkg package manager.

priyann
When I download any package, I see the package with .c, .cc files etc but
when I install it with pkg manager,  I see no files except .m files. So my
questions are, 1.where those files goes? 2. How does it get converted it to
binary file and where it gets stored. 3. I didn't see any .mk(make) file in
a package(when I download) so how the build dependency is maintained?
Thanks in advance.



--
Sent from: http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-General-f1599825.html


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Brief details about pkg package manager.

Andreas Weber-6
Am 26.01.2019 um 16:41 schrieb priyann:
> When I download any package, I see the package with .c, .cc files etc but
> when I install it with pkg manager,  I see no files except .m files. So my
> questions are, 1.where those files goes?

On GNU/LInux for example for the image package, they go to (default)
~/octave/image-2.6.2/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-api-v51

2. How does it get converted it to
> binary file and where it gets stored.

mkoctfile is used to compile .c and .cc into .oct or .mex

 3. I didn't see any .mk(make) file in
> a package(when I download) so how the build dependency is maintained?

There are configure scripts and Makefile.in in the packages.

-- Andy


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Brief details about pkg package manager.

priyann
Thanks a lot Andy.

In the project site.
https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Octave_Package_management

1.support for multiple version packages

Why should I keep the older version! because we know the newer version comes
with bugs fixed which were
occurring in the older version. Isn't newer version = older version + bugs
fixed!
then why this facility required?

2.support for multiple Octave installs

that means there can be multiple octave versions(4.3.0, 4.3.1 etc) on a
system?
So, again, what is the profit? 4.3.1 will be better than 4.3.0.

I am not assuming the python 3.x and python 2.x problem.



--
Sent from: http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-General-f1599825.html


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Brief details about pkg package manager.

apjanke-floss


On 1/27/19 6:28 AM, priyann wrote:

> Thanks a lot Andy.
>
> In the project site.
> https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Octave_Package_management
>
> 1.support for multiple version packages
>
> Why should I keep the older version! because we know the newer version comes
> with bugs fixed which were
> occurring in the older version. Isn't newer version = older version + bugs
> fixed!
> then why this facility required?
>
> 2.support for multiple Octave installs
>
> that means there can be multiple octave versions(4.3.0, 4.3.1 etc) on a
> system?
> So, again, what is the profit? 4.3.1 will be better than 4.3.0.
>
> I am not assuming the python 3.x and python 2.x problem.

There are reasons you might want to use multiple versions in both a
developer and user context.

While ideally, a newer version should be the older version plus new
features and bug fixes, sometimes new versions also unintentionally
introduce bugs, too. And sometimes there may be non-back-compatible API
changes.

And depending on your environment, the newest version of Octave or a
library might not be readily available to you. Corporate and educational
environments might be controlled by an IT department that takes a while
to test and deploy new versions. This would be especially true if Octave
saw enterprise use. The Windows installation of Octave comes with a
bunch of packages whose versions are frozen at the time of installer
creation. Some Linux distros ship with a version of Octave that is
frozen at the time of the distro's creation. And upgrading takes some
work; not all users are going to do it right away after every Octave or
package release.

For Octave developers, it could be useful to have both multiple package
versions and multiple Octave versions installed side by side. When
testing a new package version, you might want to switch back and forth
between the old version and new version to compare their behavior, and
make sure that your tests are working as expected. And you might want to
switch between different versions of other packages to ensure
compatibility with your package.

As for Octave itself, developers might be pulling in versions from "the
future" to test upcoming releases, or have alternate builds. I currently
have like eight variants of Octave installed on my machine: 4.4.1, 5.1
RC1, stable, default, a couple builds with GUI-related patches and
customizations, a build done with a hacked Qt library, an OpenBLAS
build, and a 4.2 OpenBLAS build.

Cheers,
Andrew


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Brief details about pkg package manager.

priyann
so,pkg is an executable.is it made from a .c,.cc,.cxx or .m file? Thank you.



--
Sent from: http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-General-f1599825.html


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Brief details about pkg package manager.

apjanke-floss


On 1/29/19 8:29 AM, priyann wrote:
> so,pkg is an executable.is it made from a .c,.cc,.cxx or .m file? Thank you.
>

pkg is an Octave M-file function. In Octave, do "which pkg" to see where
it is located, "help pkg" to see its usage, or "edit pkg" to view its
source.

Cheers,
Andrew