Can't get octave to find gnuplot

John Travis
Hello!

I have been working on getting octave and gnuplot to do right on our
HP9000 machine and having some problems getting octave to locate gnuplot.
I have both installed under my personal account and so the default directory
structure won't work.  When I try to plot something, I get a message about
a broken pipe.

Further, I have set up a .octaverc file to get the octave search path to
look in the right places for mfiles but can't seem to get help -i to work
right.  I have modified INFO_FILE to find the directory where octave.help is
located but that hasn't helped.  Help works but the online manual doesn't.

One other question pertaining to gnuplot...Execution is on the HP but
display is on my VGA PC down the local net.  I can't figure how to
"set terminal" so I get a good graph.  Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

John
__________
John Travis                                            [hidden email]
P.O. Box 4025                                         (601) 925-3217
Clinton, MS  39058                                 (this space available)

Re: Can't get octave to find gnuplot

Martin Maechler
> From: [hidden email] (John Travis)
> Date: Tue, 12 Apr 1994 15:36:25 GMT
>
> I have been working on getting octave and gnuplot to do right on our
> HP9000 machine and having some problems getting octave to locate gnuplot.
> I have both installed under my personal account and so the default directory
> structure won't work.  When I try to plot something, I get a message about
> a broken pipe.
>
> .... [deleted]

The exactly same problem for me, working on a quite standard
        SunOS4.1.3 + SPARC + GNU gcc
environment.
I have asked on this list several times and gotten a few hints,
but none of them helped any.

PLEASE let me know if you find a solution !

> Thanks for your help.

So do I thank anyone;
I am patiently hoping for
        - THE solution
or - some more hints on debugging

Martin Maechler <[hidden email]> <><
Seminar fuer Statistik, SOL F5 \\ ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)
8092 Zurich  SWITZERLAND
phone: x-41-1-632-3408
fax  : x-41-1-252-3410