Citing Octave in Publication

Elena Tsomko

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing a brief book on basics of algorithms and coding,

mostly devoted to the principles of algorithms, logical control structures, etc., with a lot of examples, including pseudocodes.

The last section in my book includes examples on real programming with Octave.

There will be about 9-10 pages with examples of codes for simple problems to perform some calculations, from basic arithmetic to an easy statistical one, and building some linear graphs.

I have checked about the GFDL and it states:

"The GNU Free Documentation License (GNU FDL or simply GFDL) is a copyleft license for free documentation, designed by the Free Software Foundation (FSF) for the GNU Project. It is similar to the GNU General Public License, giving readers the rights to copy, redistribute, and modify (only when without "invariant sections" restrictions) a work and requires all copies and derivatives to be available under the same license. Copies may also be sold commercially, but, if produced in larger quantities (greater than 100), the original document or source code must be made available to the work's recipient.

The GFDL was designed for manuals, textbooks, other reference and instructional materials, and documentation which often accompanies GNU software. However, it can be used for any text-based work, regardless of subject matter."

My question is: what should I do in order to comply with the GNU Free Documentation License?

I start the last section in my book with:

"Octave is a high-level programming language for scientific computing with built-in plotting and visualization tools. The software featuring this programming language is called GNU Octave and it is free software under the terms of the GNU General Public License. It can be downloaded and installed from the following link: https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/. Manuals and other documentations can also be found at the homepage of GNU Octave."

Is this citation enough to comply with GFDL or do I have to include something else?

The book is planned to be in electronic version – e-book, with approximately 100~110 pages, where the last 9-10 pages will be devoted to programming in Octave.

Waiting for your reply..

Best regards,

Elena

--
Elena Tsomko, Ph.D
Assistant Professor,

Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018

Re: Citing Octave in Publication

Francesco Potortì
>I am writing a brief book on basics of algorithms and coding,
>The last section in my book includes examples on real programming with
>Octave.

>I have checked about the GFDL and it states:
>My question is: what should I do in order to comply with the GNU Free
>Documentation License?

I am not sure what do you mean exactly.  What material do you want to
distribute under the GFDL?

Maybe you care about the Octave manual, which is distributed under the
GFDL.  If you distribute it as is, you are compliant.  If you want to
modify it, you should read the GFDL details.

Or maybe you want to distribute your book under the GFDL?  In that case,
the GFDL itself has an appendix explaining how you can do that.

>I start the last section in my book with:
>
>"Octave is a high-level programming language for scientific computing with
>built-in plotting and visualization tools. The software featuring this
>programming language is called GNU Octave and it is free software under the
>terms of the GNU General Public License. It can be downloaded and installed
>from the following link: https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/. Manuals and
>other documentations can also be found at the homepage of GNU Octave."
>
>Is this citation enough to comply with GFDL or do I have to include
>something else?

You don't need anything specific.  What you wrote is alright, apart from
the fact that for Linux distributions you should suggest to install
Octave from the distribution's installation system.  But as long as it
is a good idea to explain what Octave is, you do not have any obligation
of writing that text in your book.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.621.3058
(entrance 20, 1st floor, room C71)     Web:    http://fly.isti.cnr.it

Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018

Re: Citing Octave in Publication

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2

On Tue, 2018-02-06 at 18:21 +0900, Elena Tsomko wrote:
> My question is: what should I do in order to comply with the GNU
> Free Documentation License?

The Octave manual is actually not under the GFDL. The license for the
manual says,

   Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of
   this manual provided the copyright notice and this permission
   notice are preserved on all copies.

   Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of
   this manual under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided
   that the entire resulting derived work is distributed under the
   terms of a permission notice identical to this one.

   Permission is granted to copy and distribute translations of this
   manual into another language, under the above conditions for
   modified versions.

So you're allowed to modify it and distribute it as long as you keep
that notice intact.

To cite Octave, please run the `citation` function from the Octave
interpreter. For me it reads,

    To cite GNU Octave in publications use:

      John W. Eaton, David Bateman, Søren Hauberg, Rik Wehbring (2016).
      GNU Octave version 4.2.0 manual: a high-level interactive language
    for
      numerical computations.
      URL http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/

    A BibTeX entry for LaTeX users is:

      @manual{,
        title     = {{GNU Octave} version 4.2.0 manual: a high-level interactive language for numerical computations},
        author    = {John W. Eaton and David Bateman and S{\o}ren Hauberg and Rik Wehbring},
        year      = {2016},
        url       = {http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter},
      }

    We have invested a lot of time and effort in creating GNU Octave,
    please cite it
    when using it.  See also `citation pkgname' for citing Octave packages.

That should be sufficient, and thanks for citing Octave!