Compiling from source "The right way"

JuanPi
Hi,
In the wiki we menton a INSTALL.OCTVAE file which I do not see int he
source tree. http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Debian_systems#The_right_way

Does anybody know where it is or how it is called now?

--
JuanPi Carbajal
https://goo.gl/ayiJzi
- C. Darwin

Re: Compiling from source "The right way"

Carnë Draug
On 16 May 2017 at 14:14, JuanPi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> In the wiki we menton a INSTALL.OCTVAE file which I do not see int he
> source tree. http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Debian_systems#The_right_way
>
> Does anybody know where it is or how it is called now?

It is still called INSTALL.OCTAVE and is created during the build of
the distributed packaged [1, 2].

The instructions on the wiki don't look aimed at building Octave
releases, it doesn't even mention bootstrap.

Carnë

[1] http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/f45402b9dcc4/Makefile.am#l103
[2] http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/f45402b9dcc4/doc/interpreter/module.mk#l317

Re: Compiling from source "The right way"

Mike Miller-4
On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 14:57:11 +0100, Carnë Draug wrote:
> On 16 May 2017 at 14:14, JuanPi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > In the wiki we menton a INSTALL.OCTVAE file which I do not see int he
> > source tree. http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Debian_systems#The_right_way
> >
> > Does anybody know where it is or how it is called now?
>
> It is still called INSTALL.OCTAVE and is created during the build of
> the distributed packaged [1, 2].

Right, you can `make INSTALL.OCTAVE` in you build directory to get the
file. Or pull it from the latest source release.

> The instructions on the wiki don't look aimed at building Octave
> releases, it doesn't even mention bootstrap.

You mean they don't look aimed at building from hg, right?

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 3:57 PM, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16 May 2017 at 14:14, JuanPi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> In the wiki we menton a INSTALL.OCTVAE file which I do not see int he
>> source tree. http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Debian_systems#The_right_way
>>
>> Does anybody know where it is or how it is called now?
>
> It is still called INSTALL.OCTAVE and is created during the build of
> the distributed packaged [1, 2].
>
> The instructions on the wiki don't look aimed at building Octave
> releases, it doesn't even mention bootstrap.
>
> Carnë
>
> [1] http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/f45402b9dcc4/Makefile.am#l103
> [2] http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/f45402b9dcc4/doc/interpreter/module.mk#l317

Well, they are aimed at building from source, so it should be correct.
The file mentioned is not on the source tree. Should it be included?
Is it worth to update that wiki page?

--
JuanPi Carbajal
https://goo.gl/ayiJzi
- C. Darwin

On 16 May 2017 at 15:12, JuanPi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 3:57 PM, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 16 May 2017 at 14:14, JuanPi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> In the wiki we menton a INSTALL.OCTVAE file which I do not see int he
>>> source tree. http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Debian_systems#The_right_way
>>>
>>> Does anybody know where it is or how it is called now?
>>
>> It is still called INSTALL.OCTAVE and is created during the build of
>> the distributed packaged [1, 2].
>>
>> The instructions on the wiki don't look aimed at building Octave
>> releases, it doesn't even mention bootstrap.
>>
>> Carnë
>>
>> [1] http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/f45402b9dcc4/Makefile.am#l103
>> [2] http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/f45402b9dcc4/doc/interpreter/module.mk#l317
>
> Well, they are aimed at building from source, so it should be correct.
> The file mentioned is not on the source tree. Should it be included?

No.  It is built from other sources like texi and pdf files.

> Is it worth to update that wiki page?

Maybe a separate section named building from development sources would
be appropriate.

On 16 May 2017 at 15:12, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
>> The instructions on the wiki don't look aimed at building Octave
>> releases, it doesn't even mention bootstrap.
>
> You mean they don't look aimed at building from hg, right?

Yes, that's what I meant.