Configure stable Ubuntu 18.04 fails to find Qt 5

Configure stable Ubuntu 18.04 fails to find Qt 5

JuanPi
Hi,

I am trying to build stable branch in Ubuntu 18.04
The configure script ends with

configure: WARNING: Your installation of Qt version 5 appears
incomplete or broken in some way.  Fix that or use --with-qt=VER to
use another version.
configure: WARNING: Qt libraries not found; disabling Qt GUI

$ grep Qt5 config.log
Package Qt5Help was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `Qt5Help.pc'
No package 'Qt5Help' found
Package Qt5Help was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `Qt5Help.pc'
No package 'Qt5Help' found
No package 'Qt5Help' found
  Build Octave Qt GUI:                  no (missing:Qt5Help)

I have installed all these packages (and qt5-defaults)
https://wiki.octave.org/Talk:Octave_for_Debian_systems#Qt5_in_Ubunutu_18.04_LTS

Qt 5 Help is there:
$ locate Qt5Help
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Help.so.5
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Help.so.5.9
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Help.so.5.9.5

What am I missing?

Also, has anybody a more complete list of the build dependencies for 18.04?

--
JuanPi Carbajal
https://goo.gl/ayiJzi

-----
"Why is thought, being a secretion of the brain, more wonderful than
gravity, a property of matter?"
- C. Darwin

Re: Configure stable Ubuntu 18.04 fails to find Qt 5

Mike Miller-4
On Wed, May 09, 2018 at 22:06:20 +0200, JuanPi wrote:
> Qt 5 Help is there:
> $ locate Qt5Help
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Help.so.5
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Help.so.5.9
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Help.so.5.9.5

That's not the library needed to compile and link against it.

> What am I missing?

apt-file search Qt5Help.pc

> Also, has anybody a more complete list of the build dependencies for 18.04?

You can adapt the dependencies in the latest Debian source package

  https://salsa.debian.org/pkg-octave-team/octave/blob/master/debian/control

Re: Configure stable Ubuntu 18.04 fails to find Qt 5

Daniel Sebald
On 05/09/2018 03:06 PM, JuanPi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build stable branch in Ubuntu 18.04
> The configure script ends with
>
> configure: WARNING: Your installation of Qt version 5 appears
> incomplete or broken in some way.  Fix that or use --with-qt=VER to
> use another version.
> configure: WARNING: Qt libraries not found; disabling Qt GUI
>
> $ grep Qt5 config.log
> Package Qt5Help was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `Qt5Help.pc'
> No package 'Qt5Help' found
> Package Qt5Help was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `Qt5Help.pc'
> No package 'Qt5Help' found
> No package 'Qt5Help' found
>    Build Octave Qt GUI:                  no (missing:Qt5Help)
>
> I have installed all these packages (and qt5-defaults)
> https://wiki.octave.org/Talk:Octave_for_Debian_systems#Qt5_in_Ubunutu_18.04_LTS
>
> Qt 5 Help is there:
> $ locate Qt5Help
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Help.so.5
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Help.so.5.9
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Help.so.5.9.5
>
> What am I missing?

pkg-config is something used when building the resource in question.
That is, if one is building all those Qt libraries and so on, it might
create a pkg-config file.  Those files can then be referenced elsewhere
for building other applications.  I tend to think of pkg-config as
"development version", so look to see if development versions of Qt
libraries are installed.

Dan

Re: Configure stable Ubuntu 18.04 fails to find Qt 5

JuanPi
> You can adapt the dependencies in the latest Debian source package
>
>   https://salsa.debian.org/pkg-octave-team/octave/blob/master/debian/control

Very useful! Thanks, I was wondering where the team octave had
gone...now you told me.

--
JuanPi Carbajal
https://goo.gl/ayiJzi