Could not copy help collection to temporary file

Could not copy help collection to temporary file

Sebastian Schöps
I rarely build the GUI but I did to so today. The most recent checkout of
default complains with a dialog that says

"Could not copy help collection to temporary file. Search capabilities may
be affected. Cannot open collection file:
/usr/local/octave/4.5.0+/doc/octave_interpreter.qhc"

Anyone knows what the issue is?

Thanks,
Sebastian

Re: Could not copy help collection to temporary file

Pantxo
Sebastian Schöps wrote
> "Could not copy help collection to temporary file. Search capabilities may
> be affected. Cannot open collection file:
> /usr/local/octave/4.5.0+/doc/octave_interpreter.qhc"
>
> --
> Sent from:
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-General-f1599825.html

Hi,

What are your configure flags? Those Qt help files should be installed in
/prefix/share/octave/VERSION/doc/
not in
/prefix/octave/VERSION/doc/

Is there a "/usr/local/share/octave/4.5.0+/doc" directory after
installation? If so, are the octave_interpreter.qch and .qhc files there?

Pantxo

Re: Could not copy help collection to temporary file

Sebastian Schöps
Pantxo wrote
> What are your configure flags? Those Qt help files should be installed in
> /prefix/share/octave/VERSION/doc/
> not in
> /prefix/octave/VERSION/doc/
>
> Is there a "/usr/local/share/octave/4.5.0+/doc" directory after
> installation? If so, are the octave_interpreter.qch and .qhc files there?

My prefix is "/usr/local/octave/HEAD-9fcbd5949271". The dialog complains
about
"/usr/local/octave/HEAD-9fcbd5949271/share/octave/4.5.0+/doc/octave_interpreter.qhc".
Neither the folder
"/usr/local/octave/HEAD-9fcbd5949271/share/octave/4.5.0+/doc" nor
"/usr/local/share/octave/4.5.0+/" exists.
Even find /usr/local/ -name "/usr/*qhc" does not give any result.

I use homebrew which actually installs software in subfolders and then does
proper linking of directories. I will check if this is the cause for this
problem and whether I can fix it manually. However, I assume that Octave
guesses somewhere a directory which might be often correct but not in my
case.

Thanks for helping
Sebastian

Re: Could not copy help collection to temporary file

Pantxo
OK ... So what do the following commands return:
which penny.mat
__octave_config_info__ ('datarootdir')
__octave_config_info__ ('octdatadir')
__octave_config_info__ ('octdocdir')

Pantxo

Re: Could not copy help collection to temporary file

Sebastian Schöps
I searched my build-tree. There is no "*.qhc" after running "make all".
Do you have it? Where and when does your build create the file?

>> which penny.mat
'penny.mat' is the file
/usr/local/octave/4.3.0+/share/octave/4.3.0+/data/penny.mat
>> __octave_config_info__ ('datarootdir')
ans = /usr/local/octave/4.3.0+/share
>> __octave_config_info__ ('octdatadir')
ans = /usr/local/octave/4.3.0+/share/octave/4.3.0+/data
>> __octave_config_info__ ('octdocdir')
ans = /usr/local/octave/4.3.0+/share/octave/4.3.0+/doc

(I just switched from default to the stable branch, therefore the path has
changed)

Thanks,
Seb.

Re: Could not copy help collection to temporary file

Sebastian Schöps
Dear Pantxo,

I may have found the issue: I disable the documentation with
"--without-docs"; make will still build the online help for octave-cli which
is enough for me. Does the GUI-help require to build the documentation? If
yes, is that actually necessary?

Sebastian

Re: Could not copy help collection to temporary file

Mike Miller-4
On Sat, Apr 07, 2018 at 09:07:57 -0700, Sebastian Schöps wrote:
> I may have found the issue: I disable the documentation with
> "--without-docs"; make will still build the online help for octave-cli which
> is enough for me. Does the GUI-help require to build the documentation? If
> yes, is that actually necessary?

Yes, building the docs is required to build and install the
documentation for the GUI.

My hope is that no one needs to build with '--disable-docs', but that's
probably not true for this release.

Re: Could not copy help collection to temporary file

Sebastian Schöps
Mike Miller-4 wrote

> On Sat, Apr 07, 2018 at 09:07:57 -0700, Sebastian Schöps wrote:
>> I may have found the issue: I disable the documentation with
>> "--without-docs"; make will still build the online help for octave-cli
>> which
>> is enough for me. Does the GUI-help require to build the documentation?
>> If
>> yes, is that actually necessary?
>
> Yes, building the docs is required to build and install the
> documentation for the GUI.
>
> My hope is that no one needs to build with '--disable-docs', but that's
> probably not true for this release.

What about this: if build with disabled docs, then we create a dummy
"octave_interpreter.qhc" which contains only the string "build without
docs". This would hopefully avoid the annoying error messages of octave
every time the gui is started.

Sebastian

Re: Could not copy help collection to temporary file

Pantxo
Sebastian Schöps wrote
> What about this: if build with disabled docs, then we create a dummy
> "octave_interpreter.qhc" which contains only the string "build without
> docs". This would hopefully avoid the annoying error messages of octave
> every time the gui is started.
> --
> Sent from:
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-General-f1599825.html

I posted a comment in the bug tracker (http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53006)
about simply not constructing the documentation widget when we know Octave
doc is not available.

Pantxo