Creating executables in Octave

jasim
Hi there,
I am trying to create a stand alone executable of an Octave file. Can any one tell if this is possible and if so, how to do it? Thanks.

Re: Creating executables in Octave

siko1056
jasim wrote
Hi there,
I am trying to create a stand alone executable of an Octave file. Can any one tell if this is possible and if so, how to do it? Thanks.

It depends, there are two levels of "standalone" described in the manual [1]:

1. Just use liboctave routines and data structures, still linked against liboctave, no m-File ("Octave file") code is accessible.

2. Start the Octave interpreter "embedded" within your C++ program, access to m-File code, more overhead.

HTH,
Kai

[1]: https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Standalone-Programs.html

Re: Creating executables in Octave

Carlo de Falco-2

> On 6 Jun 2017, at 01:54, jasim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi there,
> I am trying to create a stand alone executable of an Octave file. Can any
> one tell if this is possible and if so, how to do it? Thanks.

Do I understand correctly that you want to transform your code which is now an interpreted m-file into a standalone executable?

If so the answer depends on why you want to do that.

1) If the purpose is to make the code run faster, the answer is :
   maybe it is possible but it will not be done automatically, you will have to rewrite some of your code in C++ yourself.

2) If the purpose is to distribute your code to people who do not have Octave installed, the answer is :
   no, it is not possible as the stand alone executable will necessarily require at least liboctave to be installed
   and possibly the interpreter as well.

3) If the purpose is to distribute your code as an executable without source code, the answer is :
   no, it is not possible because standalone executables are derivative work of liboctave therefore they must be distributed under GPL.

HTH,
c.