Cut/Paste into Octave Slinky

Thomas D. Dean-2
I have Ubuntu 16.04 (sigh...) and octave 4.3.0+ I run in an xterm
without the gui.

If I cut/paste into octave, it is slinky, a few char appear, a delay, a
few more char, etc.

If I do this with any other xterm, cut/paste seems instantaneous.

I configure with
../octave/configure F77=gfortran --no-recursion

and make produces no errors.
make check seems Ok.

If I start octave with
/usr/local/bin/octave, I get the gui, so I use
/usr/local/bin/octave --no-gui

Actually, I use

/usr/bin/xterm -j -sk -sb -sl 1000 -fn 9x15 -bc -bg white -fg black
-geometry 80x55 -e octave --no-gui&

from an alias.

Is it possible that allowing qt in the build that I have introduced a
problem with readline?

Tom Dean

Re: Cut/Paste into Octave Slinky

Thomas D. Dean-2
On 04/26/17 20:22, Thomas D. Dean wrote:

> I have Ubuntu 16.04 (sigh...) and octave 4.3.0+ I run in an xterm
> without the gui.
>
> If I cut/paste into octave, it is slinky, a few char appear, a delay, a
> few more char, etc.
>
> If I do this with any other xterm, cut/paste seems instantaneous.
>
> I configure with
> ../octave/configure F77=gfortran --no-recursion
>
> and make produces no errors.
> make check seems Ok.
>
> If I start octave with
> /usr/local/bin/octave, I get the gui, so I use
> /usr/local/bin/octave --no-gui
>
> Actually, I use
>
> /usr/bin/xterm -j -sk -sb -sl 1000 -fn 9x15 -bc -bg white -fg black
> -geometry 80x55 -e octave --no-gui&
>
> from an alias.
>
> Is it possible that allowing qt in the build that I have introduced a
> problem with readline?

To answer the question, If I build octave with qt and start it without
the gui, then, cut/paste is slinky.

If I build octave without qt and start it normally, cut/paste is
instantaneous.

Seems to be a problem with readline/qt interaction.

Tom Dean