Datatype of random poisson-distributed numbers

Datatype of random poisson-distributed numbers

stn021
Hello,

this is a question for me to better understand the inner workings of octave.

The function randn() produces random numbers with poisson-distibution.

It is also possible to add the parameter "single" oder "double".
Then the result will be of the corresponding class.

My question is: when is that useful?
Poisson-distributed variables are by definition integers so it should not make any difference.

Could you give me an example where it does make a difference?

THX
stn

Re: Datatype of random poisson-distributed numbers

Doug Stewart-4

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 9:27 AM, stn021 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

this is a question for me to better understand the inner workings of octave.

The function randn() produces random numbers with poisson-distibution.

the help message says
" Return a matrix with normally distributed"
this is not poisson in my knowledge.

It is also possible to add the parameter "single" oder "double".
Then the result will be of the corresponding class.

My question is: when is that useful?
Poisson-distributed variables are by definition integers so it should not make any difference.

Could you give me an example where it does make a difference?

THX
stn

DASCertificate for 206392

Re: Datatype of random poisson-distributed numbers

stn021
Hi,

oh no, sorry, my mistake.
That was a typo.