Deprecate tmpnam()?

Rik-4
All,

I proposed deprecating tmpnam back in 2014 as it does the same thing as the
Matlab function tempname which we also provide.  A discussion ensued here
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Keeping-both-tmpnam-and-tempname-td4666868.html.

Back then, tmpnam was used 189 times in Octave core and 29 times in OF
packages.  Three years later there is now only one instance of tmpnam in
core, which I am just switching over.  Is is reasonable to start the
deprecation of tmpnam with the 4.4 release?

--Rik

Re: Deprecate tmpnam()?

On 03/26/2018 05:52 PM, Rik wrote:

> All,
>
> I proposed deprecating tmpnam back in 2014 as it does the same thing as the
> Matlab function tempname which we also provide.  A discussion ensued here
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Keeping-both-tmpnam-and-tempname-td4666868.html.
>
> Back then, tmpnam was used 189 times in Octave core and 29 times in OF
> packages.  Three years later there is now only one instance of tmpnam in
> core, which I am just switching over.  Is is reasonable to start the
> deprecation of tmpnam with the 4.4 release?

It's fine with me as long as all the functionality of tmpnam can be
obtained using other functions.

jwe