Diff between Octave win installer and non-installer exe version

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Diff between Octave win installer and non-installer exe version

Frankie Lee
Hi,

I see win 64-bit has both versions, what are their difference? Also, do we have to plugin module for doing machine learning task? Thanks.

Frankie
_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Diff between Octave win installer and non-installer exe version

NJank
On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 1:45 PM, Frankie Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I see win 64-bit has both versions, what are their difference? Also, do we have to plugin module for doing machine learning task? Thanks.

Frankie


both versions are the same, the only difference is that the zip version does not automatically create shortcuts to the program, etc. It also does not require Admin rights to install.

Octave uses Packages for additional functionality.  The windows versions come with a number of pre-installed packages. you can see these by typing:

>> pkg list

If you use the zip-file installer, you need to type:

>> pkg rebuild

first so that octave can find the packages.

see the detailed installation instructions here:

http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Microsoft_Windows

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Diff between Octave win installer and non-installer exe version

NJank
Please keep the mailing list copied on any emails.

I don't use the .exe installer, so I haven't seen many of these prompts and messages. Maybe someone else will be able to provide more complete answers to your questions, included below:


On Sep 14, 2017 2:41 AM, "Frankie Lee" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,


Thanks for your reply first. A few questions.


  1. I have download and try install octave 4.2.1 but prompt that win10 is no fully support, is it the case?
  2. What version of JRE should be installed on system, as it prompt it may install but maybe lack of some function, what function will be missed if there is not Java runtime?
  3. During install it ask what type of library should be install, BLAS? What's the difference?
  4. Nearly the completion of installation, the program was updating fc-cache, what is that? Do u provide any course for basic operation tutorial? 

Thanks.

Frankie

I use Windows 10 with very little problem. I do not know the actual concern. Regarding fc-cache, that's just updating a windows component so that octave can print figures faster.

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Diff between Octave win installer and non-installer exe version

tmacchant
I cannot give you fully enough answer.

>Please keep the mailing list copied on any emails.
>
>I don't use the .exe installer, so I haven't seen many of these prompts and messages. Maybe someone else will be able to provide more complete answers to your questions, included below:
>
>
>
>
>On Sep 14, 2017 2:41 AM, "Frankie Lee" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>Hi,
>>
>>
>>Thanks for your reply first. A few questions.
>>
>>
>>    1. I have download and try install octave 4.2.1 but prompt that win10 is no fully support, is it the case?
Installer tells you that windows 10 is not fully supported. However, I have not met troubles due to windows 10

>>    2. What version of JRE should be installed on system, as it prompt it may install but maybe lack of some function, what function will be missed if there is not Java runtime?

The current available JRE from the Oracle is enough. Note that for 64 bit octave, 64bit java should be installed.
For the java functionality please see the manual e.g. 
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Java-Interface.html#Java-Interface 

>>
>>    3. During install it ask what type of library should be install, BLAS? What's the difference?
In usual case, OpenBLAS is enough. The OpenBLAS is one of optimized BLAS for Matrix calclation.
The other BLAS is reference BLAS. It is stable but very slow.


>>
>>    4. Nearly the completion of installation, the program was updating fc-cache, what is that? Do u provide any course for basic operation tutorial? 
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>
>>Frankie
>
>I use Windows 10 with very little problem. I do not know the actual concern. Regarding fc-cache, that's just updating a windows component so that octave can print figures faster.
>_______________________________________________
>Help-octave mailing list
>[hidden email]
>https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave
>
>
>

_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave