Differences in screen and printed plots

JuanPi
Hi all,

Since a while I have been suffering the difference between what we get
in the screen when we plot (really nice lately!) and what we get when
we use print or saveof.

Disregarding the visual differences (sometimes I just take
screenshots!) ther eis this bug, that was gone and now is back again

This code

plot(rand(1,10), '-k', rand(1,10),'og','markerfacecolor','g');

looks like this in screen
http://picpaste.com/Figure_1_006.png

and like this when printed
http://picpaste.com/white_bck.png

to fix it I do

set(gca,'color','none')

and print again obtaining
http://picpaste.com/white_bck_fix.png

but then if I add a legend the legend is also wrong, and I need to do
the same to the legend axes to fix it

What is causing these bugs to re-appear? Is it gnuplot or us?

Thx!

--
JuanPi Carbajal
https://goo.gl/ayiJzi

Re: Differences in screen and printed plots

shall689
Hello JuanPi,
I'm using octave 4.2.1 and I don't have that issue.
Stephen

Re: Differences in screen and printed plots

shall689
Also, my OS is windows 7.

Re: Differences in screen and printed plots

tmacchant
> Since a while I have been suffering the difference between what we get
> in the screen when we plot (really nice lately!) and what we get when
> we use print or saveof.
>
> Disregarding the visual differences (sometimes I just take
> screenshots!) ther eis this bug, that was gone and now is back again
>
> This code
>
> plot(rand(1,10), '-k',
> rand(1,10),'og','markerfacecolor','g');
>
> looks like this in screen
> http://picpaste.com/Figure_1_006.png
>
> and like this when printed
> http://picpaste.com/white_bck.png
>
> to fix it I do
>
> set(gca,'color','none')
>
> and print again obtaining
> http://picpaste.com/white_bck_fix.png
>
> but then if I add a legend the legend is also wrong, and I need to do
> the same to the legend axes to fix it
>
> What is causing these bugs to re-appear? Is it gnuplot or us?

You are using qt or fltk graphics_toolkit so that gnuplot is not related to your issue.

Tatsuro

Re: Differences in screen and printed plots

Dmitri A. Sergatskov

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 5:10 PM, JuanPi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Since a while I have been suffering the difference between what we get
in the screen when we plot (really nice lately!) and what we get when
we use print or saveof.

​I suspect your gl2ps is too old. You can get the latest (1.4.0) compile in your
home directory and LD_PRELOAD the resulting library prior to starting octave
to verify if this is indeed the case.

​Dmitri.

Re: Differences in screen and printed plots

Pantxo
Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote
On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 5:10 PM, JuanPi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Since a while I have been suffering the difference between what we get
> in the screen when we plot (really nice lately!) and what we get when
> we use print or saveof.

​I suspect your gl2ps is too old. You can get the latest (1.4.0) compile in
your
home directory and LD_PRELOAD the resulting library prior to starting octave
to verify if this is indeed the case.

​Dmitri.

Indeed, this used to be a problem with versions of gl2ps prior to 1.3.9.
Beware 1.4.0 is not ABI compatible with prior versions (a few new public functions have been exposed) so you may have to recompile Octave against this version if a simple LD_PRELOAD does not work.

Regards,

Pantxo