Downloading Octave on Mac

Guy Denton
Dear Help Octave,

I am trying to download Octave on my MacBook Air but cannot seem to do this from the Octave site. I have tried from Source Forge but it will not open on my computer because the source is not verified. I hope you can help,

Guy

(I really don’t want dodgy software on my computer)

Re: Downloading Octave on Mac

vicnorton

> On Apr 9, 2017, at 4:15 PM, Guy Denton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear Help Octave,
>
> I am trying to download Octave on my MacBook Air but cannot seem to do this from the Octave site. I have tried from Source Forge but it will not open on my computer because the source is not verified. I hope you can help,
>
> Guy
>
> (I really don’t want dodgy software on my computer)

I am no expert, but I use Homebrew <https://brew.sh/>.
After you have installed Homebrew try (in Terminal)
  $ brew options octave
to see what Octave options you might want to install.
Then
  $ brew install octave
(with or without options) should install octave on your system.

As I say, I’m no expert, but Homebrew works for me.

Regards,

Vic

Re: Downloading Octave on Mac

Sebastian Schöps
Guy Denton wrote
Dear Help Octave,

I am trying to download Octave on my MacBook Air but cannot seem to do this from the Octave site. I have tried from Source Forge but it will not open on my computer because the source is not verified. I hope you can help,

Guy

(I really don’t want dodgy software on my computer)
This is Apple FUD. The octave binary does not have a *signature* since it requires paying a fee. However, even software with signature is not necessarily *verified* by Apple. Only Apps in the Appstore are verified but Opensource licenses are incompatible with the Appstore license requirements so there is not going to be an Octave in the Appstore (you may search the mailing list to find discussions on this matter).

Regarding buying a signature key: I am not aware of many open source projects that are willing to pay for this. In either case, you have to trust us or to compile it by yourself as Vic pointed out (e.g. using homebrew). However, this is only more secure if you check the source code before compiling.

Bye
Sebastian

Re: Downloading Octave on Mac

vicnorton
Hi Guy,

Take a look at the Homebrew manpage at <http://docs.brew.sh/Manpage.html>.
You should be able to install Octave with the terminal command
   ~$ brew install octave

Here is the way I start Homebrew on Terminal to see if there are any Octave upgrades for my system. I am doing it right now:

   Last login: Sun Apr  9 19:49:32 on ttys000
   ~$ brew doctor
   Your system is ready to brew.
   ~$ brew update
   Updated 3 taps (caskroom/cask, homebrew/core, homebrew/science).
   ==> Updated Formulae
   …

Now I see a whole list of “formulae” that have been updated.
"homebrew/science/octave” is not in the list.
My current Homebrew version of Octave is 4.2.1_1.
That is the latest stable version I guess.

In any case I upgrade what needs to be upgraded in my system.
   ~$ brew upgrade
   ==> Upgrading 1 outdated package, with result:
   pango 1.40.5
   ==> Upgrading pango
   ==> Downloading https://homebrew.bintray.com/bottles/pango-1.40.5.sierra.bottle.
   ==> Pouring pango-1.40.5.sierra.bottle.tar.gz
   🍺  /usr/local/Cellar/pango/1.40.5: 105 files, 5.0MB
OK. So I’ve upgraded pango. This probably has something to do with Octave/Gnuplot graphics. Who knows?

In summary, the Homebrew system does work for me.

Regards,

Vic