Email addresses for package authors and maintainers

Email addresses for package authors and maintainers

Julien Bect
Hello all,

For most (all ?) Octave-Forge packages, the "package_box_contents"
container looks like this:

authors</td></tr>
<[hidden email]></td></tr>

As you can see, the email address is included in the source but not
displayed, because <...> is interpreted as an (incorrect) HTML tag.

There are several ways for fixing this:

a) Replace <...> by &lt;...&gt; to display the email address.

b) Remove the email address from "package_box_contents".

c) If there are mixed opinions about this, the generate_html package
could also include an option for displaying the email addresses.

Given that the email address is not displayed currently, and that nobody
seems to worry about that, I would choose b).

@++
Julien

Re: Email addresses for package authors and maintainers

Richard Crozier

> There are several ways for fixing this:
>
> a) Replace <...> by &lt;...&gt; to display the email address.
>
> b) Remove the email address from "package_box_contents".
>
> c) If there are mixed opinions about this, the generate_html package
> could also include an option for displaying the email addresses.
>
> Given that the email address is not displayed currently, and that nobody
> seems to worry about that, I would choose b).
>
> @++
> Julien

How about (a) with default set to octave maintainers list?

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: Email addresses for package authors and maintainers

Carnë Draug
On 1 September 2014 17:42, Julien Bect <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> For most (all ?) Octave-Forge packages, the "package_box_contents" container
> looks like this:

> authors</td></tr>
> <[hidden email]></td></tr>
>
> As you can see, the email address is included in the source but not
> displayed, because <...> is interpreted as an (incorrect) HTML tag.
>
> There are several ways for fixing this:
>
> a) Replace <...> by &lt;...&gt; to display the email address.
>
> b) Remove the email address from "package_box_contents".
>
> c) If there are mixed opinions about this, the generate_html package could
> also include an option for displaying the email addresses.

I'd go with option (a) and have the generate_html package escape the <
and > correctly. The package should not be making those decisions, it
should simply create that page based on what the maintainer wrote on
the DESCRIPTION file. If the maintainer does not want an email there,
he can simply remove it from the package's DESCRIPTION file.

Carnë

Le 02/09/2014 12:31, Carnë Draug a écrit :
> I'd go with option (a) and have the generate_html package escape the <
> and > correctly. The package should not be making those decisions, it
> should simply create that page based on what the maintainer wrote on
> the DESCRIPTION file. If the maintainer does not want an email there,
> he can simply remove it from the package's DESCRIPTION file.

Ok, it's done on my clone of generate_html :

http://sourceforge.net/u/jbect/generate_html/ci/018c10612f6983320c4e7f53c3f2e6b56897eac7/

@++
Julien