Enhancing web pages with Twitter Cards ?

Enhancing web pages with Twitter Cards ?

jbect
Hi John, hi all,

You might consider adding a few meta-data tags to some of your web pages
to make them look nicer on Twitter, using Cards [1].

For instance, on the page that announces the 4.4.1 release [2] you could
try this :

content="https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/news/release/2018/08/09/octave-4.4.1-released.html"
/>
released and is now available for download. An official Windows binary
installer is also available." />
content="https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/img/octave-logo.svg" />

I have no experience with these Twitter Cards, I simply adapted the
example from [1], so perhaps some of the tags are actually redundant
with existing tags on the page.

@++
Julien

[1]
https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/tweets/optimize-with-cards/guides/getting-started.html

[2]
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/news/release/2018/08/09/octave-4.4.1-released.html

Re: Enhancing web pages with Twitter Cards ?

siko1056
On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 11:37 AM Julien Bect <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Julien,

Do I get it right, that the "twitter" cards is just some meta markup, that can be included in Octave's Newsfeed?  This might not be a big deal.  But what is the benefit of this effort (explained to a non-Twitter-user like me)?  This is not clear to me from the url [1].

Best,
Kai

Le 06/09/2018 à 11:43, Kai Torben Ohlhus a écrit :
Do I get it right, that the "twitter" cards is just some meta markup, that can be included in Octave's Newsfeed?

Yes, just a bunch of tags that you can add to any of your pages.

This might not be a big deal.  But what is the benefit of this effort (explained to a non-Twitter-user like me)?

The benefit is that when someone tweets a link to your page, it looks automatically much nicer.

Just take a look at the latest tweets here : https://twitter.com/JulienBect -> the tweets about Octave and OF have no cards, the others do.

@++

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 11:49 AM Julien Bect <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 06/09/2018 à 11:43, Kai Torben Ohlhus a écrit :
Do I get it right, that the "twitter" cards is just some meta markup, that can be included in Octave's Newsfeed?

Yes, just a bunch of tags that you can add to any of your pages.

This might not be a big deal.  But what is the benefit of this effort (explained to a non-Twitter-user like me)?

The benefit is that when someone tweets a link to your page, it looks automatically much nicer.

Just take a look at the latest tweets here : https://twitter.com/JulienBect -> the tweets about Octave and OF have no cards, the others do.

@++

Thanks for explaining.  What I do like about your idea is the "The Open Graph protocol" part (the "og:" tags) for providing rich meta data for any social network (not only twitter).  This really seems to be an open "standard" developed by Facebook (at least I found no license information) and is widely adapted in social media.

When I have some time, as a start I can think about adapting the "og:" portion.  This should not be too hard and maybe you can report back if this already sufficient for twitter.

Best,
Kai

Fantastic.  Sure, if we can make it work for more social networks at no additional cost, it's even better ;-)

Re: Enhancing web pages with Twitter Cards ?

siko1056
Dear Julien,

For Facebook I am able to create these "cards" inside posts.  Does it work in Twitter as well?

Btw. who owns/maintains the Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ account of Octave? ^^

Kai

Le 07/09/2018 à 01:29, Kai Torben Ohlhus a écrit :
> For Facebook I am able to create these "cards" inside posts.  Does it
> work in Twitter as well?

No, it doesn't.  According to [1], you need at least the following tag:

@++

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 7:10 AM Julien Bect <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 07/09/2018 à 01:29, Kai Torben Ohlhus a écrit :
> For Facebook I am able to create these "cards" inside posts.  Does it
> work in Twitter as well?

No, it doesn't.  According to [1], you need at least the following tag:

@++
Julien

[1]
https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/tweets/optimize-with-cards/guides/getting-started.html

Thanks for the feedback.  Then I'll add that tag later today.

Kai