Error installing the symbol package

Simon A. Turner

Hello everyone

I hope I am getting this right as this is my first email to the list and I have never used 1 of these things before. I downloaded Octave in the hope that it would help me solve simultaneous equations for an electrical engineering course I'm doing. I have no knowledge of the backend workings of Octave and no desire to have any knowledge as I'm trying to learn enough things at once as it is. I gather that in order to solve a simultaneous equation I need to install a symbols package. I've downloaded the required package and attempted to install it as per instructions. This is the result I get:

>> cd C:

>> pkg install symbolic-2.5.0.tar.gz

Use of uninitialized value in lc at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/utf8_heavy.pl line 123.

I have searched for the error message online and found numerous discussions all of which are complete and utter double Dutch to me. Is there a practical way of resolving this?

Kind regards

Simon

Re: Error installing the symbol package

Doug Stewart-4

On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 6:12 AM, Simon A. Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello everyone

I hope I am getting this right as this is my first email to the list and I have never used 1 of these things before. I downloaded Octave in the hope that it would help me solve simultaneous equations for an electrical engineering course I'm doing. I have no knowledge of the backend workings of Octave and no desire to have any knowledge as I'm trying to learn enough things at once as it is. I gather that in order to solve a simultaneous equation I need to install a symbols package.

Do you want a symbolic answer or a numerical answer?

If you just want to get the values if the currents in the circuit then you don't need the symbolic pkg.

Are you doing mesh analysis?

I've downloaded the required package and attempted to install it as per instructions. This is the result I get:

>> cd C:

>> pkg install symbolic-2.5.0.tar.gz

Use of uninitialized value in lc at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/utf8_heavy.pl line 123.

I have searched for the error message online and found numerous discussions all of which are complete and utter double Dutch to me. Is there a practical way of resolving this?

Kind regards

Simon

DASCertificate for 206392

RE: Error installing the symbol package

Simon A. Turner

Hello Doug

I am looking for numerical answers, I was led to believe that I needed this plugin to solve a simultaneous equation input with less effort than converting my equations to a matrix. Either way the problem of the plug in not installing remains for quite a few people as a quick google search reveals.

Kind regards

Simon

On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 10:36 AM, Simon A. Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Doug

I am looking for numerical answers, I was led to believe that I needed this plugin to solve a simultaneous equation input with less effort than converting my equations to a matrix. Either way the problem of the plug in not installing remains for quite a few people as a quick google search reveals.

Kind regards

Simon

if you have 2 loops

           --------------      r1  -------------------------------------r3---------------- vout
          |                                                  |                                     |
       Vin                    i1                         r2                     i2           r4
          |                                                  |                                     |

i1*r1 + i1* r2  - i2*r2                                    =Vin
-i1*r2             + i2*r2 +i2*r3  + i2*r4            =0

vout=i2*r4

let
r1=1
r2=2
r3=3 ohms
r4=4
Vin =5 volts

then we have
  i1                       i2
r1+r2              -r2                                         = 5
-r2                  + r2 +r3 +r4                           =0

a=[ 3    -2;
     -2   9]
b=[5
     0]

cur=a\b

vout=cur(2)*4

octave gives:

>> a=[ 3    -2;
     -2   9]
a =

   3  -2
  -2   9

>> b=[5
     0]
b =

   5
   0

>> cur=a\b
cur =

   1.95652
   0.43478

>> vout=cur(2)*4
vout =  1.7391 volts

I hope this helps  :-)

RE: Error installing the symbol package

Simon A. Turner

Hello Doug

I was trying to brute force reverse engineer transmission line parameters, I have a problem where I am given the A, B, C, D and need to calculate the R, L, C, G (see attached image). I think there is another way and I am reviewing my study material, “again”

Kind regards

Simon Turner

On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 10:36 AM, Simon A. Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Doug

I am looking for numerical answers, I was led to believe that I needed this plugin to solve a simultaneous equation input with less effort than converting my equations to a matrix. Either way the problem of the plug in not installing remains for quite a few people as a quick google search reveals.

Kind regards

Simon

if you have 2 loops

           --------------      r1  -------------------------------------r3---------------- vout

          |                                                  |                                     |

       Vin                    i1                         r2                     i2           r4

          |                                                  |                                     |

i1*r1 + i1* r2  - i2*r2                                    =Vin

-i1*r2             + i2*r2 +i2*r3  + i2*r4            =0

vout=i2*r4

let

r1=1

r2=2

r3=3 ohms

r4=4

Vin =5 volts

then we have

  i1                       i2

r1+r2              -r2                                         = 5

-r2                  + r2 +r3 +r4                           =0

a=[ 3    -2;

     -2   9]

b=[5

     0]

cur=a\b

vout=cur(2)*4

octave gives:

>> a=[ 3    -2;

     -2   9]

a =

   3  -2

  -2   9

>> b=[5

     0]

b =

   5

   0

>> cur=a\b

cur =

   1.95652

   0.43478

>> vout=cur(2)*4

vout =  1.7391 volts

I hope this helps  :-)

image.png (100K) Download Attachment

On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 11:15 AM, Simon A. Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Doug

I was trying to brute force reverse engineer transmission line parameters, I have a problem where I am given the A, B, C, D and need to calculate the R, L, C, G (see attached image). I think there is another way and I am reviewing my study material, “again”

Kind regards

Simon Turner

I don't know how well the symbolic pkg works on windows.

What vers. of windows do you have?

do you have python installed?

Re: Error installing the symbol package

Mike Miller-4
On Sat, May 06, 2017 at 11:25:09 -0400, Doug Stewart wrote:
> I don't know how well the symbolic pkg works on windows.
>
> What vers. of windows do you have?
>
> do you have python installed?

The symbolic package works fine on Windows. The main problem is
installation, due to an ancient version of Perl bundled with the Windows
Octave distribution (Octave runs Texinfo on package installation,
Texinfo is written in Perl).

See https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?49839 and the patch I posted there
that can work around this problem (direct link:
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=39225).

On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 11:33 AM, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, May 06, 2017 at 11:25:09 -0400, Doug Stewart wrote:
> I don't know how well the symbolic pkg works on windows.
>
> What vers. of windows do you have?
>
> do you have python installed?

The symbolic package works fine on Windows. The main problem is
installation, due to an ancient version of Perl bundled with the Windows
Octave distribution (Octave runs Texinfo on package installation,
Texinfo is written in Perl).

See https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?49839 and the patch I posted there
that can work around this problem (direct link:
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=39225).

here is an example of solving eq.

clear
pkg load symbolic
syms a b x y y1 y2

eq1=y==a*x +b
eq2=y==2*a*x - b
[x1 y2]=solve(eq1,eq2,x,y)

aa=1
bb=1
xx=-3:.1:3;
yy1=aa*xx+bb;
plot(xx,yy1)
hold on
yy2=2*aa*xx-bb;
plot(xx,yy2)
hold off

results in octave
eq1 = (sym) y = a⋅x + b
eq2 = (sym) y = 2⋅a⋅x - b
x1 = (sym)

  2⋅b
  ───

y2 = (sym) 3⋅b

RE: Error installing the symbol package

Simon A. Turner

I have windows 10, yes python is installed.

Kind regards

Simon Turner

On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 11:15 AM, Simon A. Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Doug

I was trying to brute force reverse engineer transmission line parameters, I have a problem where I am given the A, B, C, D and need to calculate the R, L, C, G (see attached image). I think there is another way and I am reviewing my study material, “again”

Kind regards

Simon Turner

I don't know how well the symbolic pkg works on windows.

What vers. of windows do you have?

do you have python installed?

If you answer at the bottom, as all others do, the message sequences become better readable.

RE: Error installing the symbol package

Simon A. Turner

Hello Doug

It’s windows 10, I was warned that Octave is untested on windows 10 when I installed it.

Kind regards

Simon

On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 11:15 AM, Simon A. Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Doug

I was trying to brute force reverse engineer transmission line parameters, I have a problem where I am given the A, B, C, D and need to calculate the R, L, C, G (see attached image). I think there is another way and I am reviewing my study material, “again”

Kind regards

Simon Turner

I don't know how well the symbolic pkg works on windows.

What vers. of windows do you have?

do you have python installed?

I try it again, please answer below the last answer!

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Simon A. Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Doug

It’s windows 10, I was warned that Octave is untested on windows 10 when I installed it.

Kind regards

Simon

please answer at the bottom like I am.

Did you get the symbolic pkg. to work?
did you try the suggestions  that Mike posted?

Doug

RE: Error installing the symbol package

Simon A. Turner

please answer at the bottom like I am.

Did you get the symbolic pkg. to work?

did you try the suggestions  that Mike posted?

Doug

Sorry is this ok ? my email client automatically does it the other way around.

I have not tried to get the symbol package to work as I have no idea what to do. I have not seen any suggestions from Mike.

I do have python installed (latest version) as I needed it for something else. Is any particular version of python suggested ? or could python cause a problem ?

Am 07.05.2017 um 19:21 schrieb Simon A. Turner:

please answer at the bottom like I am.

Did you get the symbolic pkg. to work?

did you try the suggestions  that Mike posted?

Doug

Sorry is this ok ? my email client automatically does it the other way around.

I have not tried to get the symbol package to work as I have no idea what to do. I have not seen any suggestions from Mike.

I do have python installed (latest version) as I needed it for something else. Is any particular version of python suggested ? or could python cause a problem ?

Simon

I guess you think that I am a bloody f++king idiot.

Thanks.

this is what Mike said:

The symbolic package works fine on Windows. The main problem is
installation, due to an ancient version of Perl bundled with the Windows
Octave distribution (Octave runs Texinfo on package installation,
Texinfo is written in Perl).

See https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?49839 and the patch I posted there
that can work around this problem (direct link:
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=39225).

Let me explain how it works.

octave just calls python to do the symbolic work.
And  python then uses

[SymPy](www.sympy.org)

S0 if you have python and sympy installed you could try solving the equations using python.

I try using the symbolic pkg from octave, and did not succeed.

I find that Maximum

is much more powerfull.

Do you have a set of eq that you want me to try using my octave and symbolic pkg?

Re: Error installing the symbol package

Colin Macdonald-2
On 07/05/17 12:08 PM, Doug Stewart wrote:
> The symbolic package works fine on Windows. The main problem is
> installation, due to an ancient version of Perl bundled with the Windows
> Octave distribution (Octave runs Texinfo on package installation,
> Texinfo is written in Perl).

There is also this wiki article:

https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/wiki/Notes-on-Windows-installation

This "lc at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/utf8_heavy.pl line 123" problem is not
mentioned on that wiki, but should be if this is a common problem.  I've
added a quick link but it would be great if someone who can reproduce
this can comment...

I noticed that the bug report that Mike linked suggests using the
symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.x.y.zip package avoids this issue.

cheers,
Colin

On Sun, May 07, 2017 at 21:23:56 -0700, Colin Macdonald wrote:
> I noticed that the bug report that Mike linked suggests using the
> symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.x.y.zip package avoids this issue.

I thought it said the opposite, that the bundle hit the same issue. The
problem is the pkg installation stage that runs makeinfo. So unpacking
the package directy and setting the path manually would avoid that, but
any "pkg install" command always runs makeinfo.

An updated Octave binary for Windows should either have this Perl module
patched or provide a newer Perl to fix it.

On 07/05/17 10:15 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Sun, May 07, 2017 at 21:23:56 -0700, Colin Macdonald wrote:
>> I noticed that the bug report that Mike linked suggests using the
>> symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.x.y.zip package avoids this issue.
>
> I thought it said the opposite, that the bundle hit the same issue. The
> problem is the pkg installation stage that runs makeinfo. So unpacking
> the package directy and setting the path manually would avoid that, but
> any "pkg install" command always runs makeinfo.

Oops, you're right.  This seems fairly serious then: some/most/all (?)
Windows users cannot install the symbolic package without doing some
manual patching, and the process by which they do so is not explicitly
documented...  :(  Or have I still missed the point and this is "merely"
some noisy warnings?

> An updated Octave binary for Windows should either have this Perl module
> patched or provide a newer Perl to fix it.

+1 for that.

thanks,
Colin

On Sun, May 07, 2017 at 22:31:31 -0700, Colin Macdonald wrote:
> Oops, you're right.  This seems fairly serious then: some/most/all (?)
> Windows users cannot install the symbolic package without doing some manual
> patching, and the process by which they do so is not explicitly
> documented...  :(  Or have I still missed the point and this is "merely"
> some noisy warnings?

I can't test myself, but I think you are right that it affects any
Windows user using the Octave 4.2.0 or 4.2.1 official binaries. I think
it does prevent installation of the symbolic package with an error until
the Perl module in question is manually patched, or the symbolic package
is unpacked and patched to remove offending doc strings.

This probably wasn't caught early because the symbolic package is not
included in the distribution and because it may be the only package to
use wide characters in doc strings to trigger this bug.

It might be wise for us to add a test to Octave's own test suite to make
sure that wide characters can be handled by the help functions.