FEAtool Multiphysics Utilization Errors

Meet Patel
To whom it may concern,

I hope this email finds you well. My name is Meet and I am currently getting the following errors (pasted below this email) when I attempt to use GUI simulator called FEAtool multiphysics. The application itself opens through octave but doesn't process to 100% functionality, causing some of they key tools/features to not run when clicked on or just be completely absent from the application.

The errors I keep receiving are these:

execution error in graphics callback function
error: invalid conversion from real matrix to real scalar
error: waitfor: invalid handle value

Do you have any suggestions for any solutions that I can possibly implement?
Thank You!

Regards,
Meet Patel

Re: FEAtool Multiphysics Utilization Errors

NJank
On Jul 6, 2017 4:39 PM, "Meet Patel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
 when I attempt to use GUI simulator called FEAtool multiphysics.

Can you tell us where you got this tool?

Who was it developed by?

Do you know what version of Octave it was initially made to run under?

What version are you using now?

Exactly what functions are you trying to run to produce those error messages?

Re: FEAtool Multiphysics Utilization Errors

Rodolfo Silva

Why don you report the problem directly to Featool developers? Do not make sense ask for help here, if the main problem was above octave.

http://www.featool.com/about/

Best Regards.

On 07/06/2017 04:33 PM, Meet Patel wrote:
[...]

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 11:51 AM, Meet Patel <[hidden email]> wrote:
1) The tool is a GUI made for matlab/octave by FEAtool Multiphysics.

2) I am not sure of the initial version of Octave it was made to run under but I am currently using version 4.2.1 of Octave.

3) The GUI helps simulate heat transfer through finite element analysis. The errors I pasted above are resulting when I try to utilize the geometry module of the application. It allows me to draw, for example, a rectangle when I press the "rect" button on the geometry module and after I have finished drawing, when I attempt to edit the properties such as heat capacity and etc of the drawn figure, it produces those errors when I double click the rectangle. Also, when initially opening the application through Octave, the application opens with lag and glitches with blacked out content. I am only able to fix the blacked out content when I maximize the size of the window. Furthermore, whenever the application needs to open a new pop-up window for certain functions, the pop-up windows do not "appear" in the front but rather are hidden in the background and can only be accessed from the windows taskbar at the bottom of the desktop screen.

Do you have any explanations for why this is happening?
Thanks!

Regards,
Meet Patel

Please keep the help list copied on any replies. Also, the convention of this list is to 'bottom post' replies to keep the thread readable. (http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html)

1 - Then without any personal access to the code, I have to agree with Rodolfo that your first real inquiry should be to FEAtool.Their FAQ suggest that the software is " a fully integrated Matlab and Octave computer simulation software suite for modeling partial differential equations".  It is entirely possible that something they did is no longer compatible with Octave 4.2.1.   At the bottom of the FAQ it says:

I think I have found a bug in FEATool, what should I do?

Please send a bug report with step by step instructions how to reproduce the error to [hidden email].

Sounds like good advice.

2 - This is probably very important. they claim the gui will work with octave 4.0, but you are obviously seeing otherwise.

3 - I have no way of troubleshooting their software. It appears they make GUI function calls that are not working as intended. Without seeing their code, we cannot guess whether they implemented it wrong, there was a recent Octave change that broke some function, or if there's actually an Octave bug.  It would probably be useful for them to reach out to the Octave developers. You may want to suggest this.

Nick J.