FSF spring internship applicant looking for a GNU project

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

FSF spring internship applicant looking for a GNU project

Andrew Engelbrecht
Hello GNU Octave,

The FSF tech team would like to offer Darshan Kadu, an FSF internship
applicant, an internship this spring. He has experience with the C
programming language and wrote patches for Blender via GSoC in 2017. He
is applying for multiple GNU projects and would like to contribute to
GNU Octave in the February to April session. I've attached his resume to
this email.

Darshan is available to work about 30-40 hours per week, mostly on
weekends, as he is currently a student.

Is GNU Octave project interested in mentoring Darshan this spring? If
so, please email us via this list or <[hidden email]> some time in the
next week. I'm also CC'ing Darshan in this email.

Thank you, :)
Andrew




-----------------------------------------
Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018
-----------------------------------------

darshan_resume.pdf (122K) Download Attachment
letter of interest darshan.pdf (190K) Download Attachment
profile links .pdf (193K) Download Attachment
signature.asc (836 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FSF spring internship applicant looking for a GNU project

Andrew Engelbrecht
On 01/29/2018 02:22 PM, Andrew Engelbrecht wrote:

> Is GNU Octave project interested in mentoring Darshan this spring? If
> so, please email us via this list or <[hidden email]> some time in the
> next week.

Hello GNU Octave maintainers,

I meant to say "some time this week".

Thanks, : )
Andrew



-----------------------------------------
Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018
-----------------------------------------

signature.asc (836 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FSF spring internship applicant looking for a GNU project

Carnë Draug
In reply to this post by Andrew Engelbrecht
On 29 January 2018 at 19:22, Andrew Engelbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello GNU Octave,
>
> The FSF tech team would like to offer Darshan Kadu, an FSF internship
> applicant, an internship this spring. He has experience with the C
> programming language and wrote patches for Blender via GSoC in 2017. He
> is applying for multiple GNU projects and would like to contribute to
> GNU Octave in the February to April session. I've attached his resume to
> this email.
>
> Darshan is available to work about 30-40 hours per week, mostly on
> weekends, as he is currently a student.
>
> Is GNU Octave project interested in mentoring Darshan this spring? If
> so, please email us via this list or <[hidden email]> some time in the
> next week. I'm also CC'ing Darshan in this email.
>
> Thank you, :)
> Andrew

Hi Andrew and Darshan

Octave is applying to GSoC as an independent organization too.  So
yes, there are mentors available but at this moment there are also a
lot of applicants.

There are a few pages on the Octave wiki about GSoC too, namely Summer
of Code Projects Ideas [1] which includes steps on how to apply.  We
don't really have mentors full-time, but the community is very active
and if you make questions on IRC or the mailing lists, you're likely
to get a reply.

Carnë

[1] https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas


-----------------------------------------
Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018
-----------------------------------------
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FSF spring internship applicant looking for a GNU project

Andrew Engelbrecht
On 01/31/2018 09:51 AM, Carnë Draug wrote:

> Octave is applying to GSoC as an independent organization too.  So
> yes, there are mentors available but at this moment there are also a
> lot of applicants.
>
> There are a few pages on the Octave wiki about GSoC too, namely Summer
> of Code Projects Ideas [1] which includes steps on how to apply.  We
> don't really have mentors full-time, but the community is very active
> and if you make questions on IRC or the mailing lists, you're likely
> to get a reply.

Hello Carnë,

Thanks for your reply. If Darshan is sufficiently self-directed in his
approach to the internship, would it be okay for him to pick one of the
GSoC (or one of the other) projects and work on it this spring?

Thanks,
Andrew



-----------------------------------------
Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018
-----------------------------------------

signature.asc (836 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FSF spring internship applicant looking for a GNU project

edmund ronald
Maybe I shouldn't be posting here, but as a lurker on this list with a PhD in Applied Maths,  I suspect the lack of enthusiasm about Darshan stems partly from the fact that Octave is mathematical software, and Darshan does not seem to have a very mathematical CV. Maybe if on the Octave TODO list there were a topic which is graphics, UI, or web oriented he could suggest specifically working on that aspect ...

Edmund

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 4:26 PM, Andrew Engelbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 01/31/2018 09:51 AM, Carnë Draug wrote:

> Octave is applying to GSoC as an independent organization too.  So
> yes, there are mentors available but at this moment there are also a
> lot of applicants.
>
> There are a few pages on the Octave wiki about GSoC too, namely Summer
> of Code Projects Ideas [1] which includes steps on how to apply.  We
> don't really have mentors full-time, but the community is very active
> and if you make questions on IRC or the mailing lists, you're likely
> to get a reply.

Hello Carnë,

Thanks for your reply. If Darshan is sufficiently self-directed in his
approach to the internship, would it be okay for him to pick one of the
GSoC (or one of the other) projects and work on it this spring?

Thanks,
Andrew



-----------------------------------------
Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018
-----------------------------------------




-----------------------------------------
Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018
-----------------------------------------
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FSF spring internship applicant looking for a GNU project

Carnë Draug
In reply to this post by Andrew Engelbrecht
On 31 January 2018 at 15:26, Andrew Engelbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/31/2018 09:51 AM, Carnë Draug wrote:
>
>> Octave is applying to GSoC as an independent organization too.  So
>> yes, there are mentors available but at this moment there are also a
>> lot of applicants.
>>
>> There are a few pages on the Octave wiki about GSoC too, namely Summer
>> of Code Projects Ideas [1] which includes steps on how to apply.  We
>> don't really have mentors full-time, but the community is very active
>> and if you make questions on IRC or the mailing lists, you're likely
>> to get a reply.
>
> Hello Carnë,
>
> Thanks for your reply. If Darshan is sufficiently self-directed in his
> approach to the internship, would it be okay for him to pick one of the
> GSoC (or one of the other) projects and work on it this spring?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew

Yes.  Other interested students have been mentioning interest on
projects on the mailing list.  All work should be public.

However, at this stage, it might be more productive to pick smaller
"jobs" instead of working on those larger GSoC projects.  There are a
lot of missing functions or features missing in Octave, each requiring
a few days work.  Those cover very different areas of interest and can
be reviewed independently from one another.

I would imagine that multiple of those cases would provide newcomers
with a better view of the Octave codebase and problems, saves the
student from picking a long project that may turn to be less exciting
than he hoped for, and provide the student with a better showcase of
his capabilities when it comes to apply for GSoC later.

Carnë


-----------------------------------------
Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018
-----------------------------------------
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FSF spring internship applicant looking for a GNU project

Rik-4
In reply to this post by Andrew Engelbrecht
On 01/31/2018 07:49 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
Subject:
Re: FSF spring internship applicant looking for a GNU project
From:
edmund ronald [hidden email]
Date:
01/31/2018 07:48 AM
To:
Andrew Engelbrecht [hidden email]
CC:
octave-maintainers [hidden email], Darshan kadu [hidden email]
List-Post:
[hidden email]
Precedence:
list
MIME-Version:
1.0
References:
[hidden email] [hidden email] [hidden email]
In-Reply-To:
[hidden email]
Message-ID:
[hidden email]
Content-Type:
multipart/alternative; boundary="94eb2c1a6828a2a37c0564146aa6"
Message:
5

Maybe I shouldn't be posting here, but as a lurker on this list with a PhD in Applied Maths,  I suspect the lack of enthusiasm about Darshan stems partly from the fact that Octave is mathematical software, and Darshan does not seem to have a very mathematical CV. Maybe if on the Octave TODO list there were a topic which is graphics, UI, or web oriented he could suggest specifically working on that aspect ...

Indeed, I don't want Octave to appear unwelcoming.  There are loads of projects available, and a mentor can almost always be found if someone shows a specific interest in a task.  Besides the GSoC projects, there is also Octave's general list of projects (http://wiki.octave.org/Projects).  Edmund mentioned some other possibilities besides intense algorithm work.  I think creating a new Property Editor (I wrote the write-up for that on the GSoC page) could be a good one.  That would involve Qt graphics programming.  That said, most things in Octave require knowledge of either C++ or the m-file language.  Fortran, C, and Perl are used in very small doses and all of that code is basically in maintenance mode rather than new development.

--Rik


Edmund

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 4:26 PM, Andrew Engelbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 01/31/2018 09:51 AM, Carnë Draug wrote:

> Octave is applying to GSoC as an independent organization too.  So
> yes, there are mentors available but at this moment there are also a
> lot of applicants.
>
> There are a few pages on the Octave wiki about GSoC too, namely Summer
> of Code Projects Ideas [1] which includes steps on how to apply.  We
> don't really have mentors full-time, but the community is very active
> and if you make questions on IRC or the mailing lists, you're likely
> to get a reply.

Hello Carnë,

Thanks for your reply. If Darshan is sufficiently self-directed in his
approach to the internship, would it be okay for him to pick one of the
GSoC (or one of the other) projects and work on it this spring?

Thanks,
Andrew



-----------------------------------------
Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018
-----------------------------------------
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FSF spring internship applicant looking for a GNU project

Darshan  kadu
Hello,

Thank you for replying.
As Edmund mentioned I can work on the project which won't require the strong mathematical background.

Rik's suggestion of the project seems suitable to me.  I have knowledge of C++ (also STL). And the project topic will not require specializes knowledge of mathematics.

Indeed I might require help to work on the project.

I will be working with some definite rules like giving the 7 days or 15-day report, maintaining the blog, etc depending on the convenience.

I would like to work on GUI_Variable_Editor_and_Property_Inspector if I have the permission.

I will be working 30- 40 hrs/week regularly but more on the weekends (I do have an academic session going on).  It would be great if someone mentors me for this project.

Again Thank you.
--Darshan


On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 9:34 PM, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 01/31/2018 07:49 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
Subject:
Re: FSF spring internship applicant looking for a GNU project
From:
edmund ronald [hidden email]
Date:
01/31/2018 07:48 AM
To:
Andrew Engelbrecht [hidden email]
CC:
octave-maintainers [hidden email], Darshan kadu [hidden email]
List-Post:
[hidden email]
Precedence:
list
MIME-Version:
1.0
References:
[hidden email] [hidden email] [hidden email]
In-Reply-To:
[hidden email]
Message-ID:
[hidden email]
Content-Type:
multipart/alternative; boundary="94eb2c1a6828a2a37c0564146aa6"
Message:
5

Maybe I shouldn't be posting here, but as a lurker on this list with a PhD in Applied Maths,  I suspect the lack of enthusiasm about Darshan stems partly from the fact that Octave is mathematical software, and Darshan does not seem to have a very mathematical CV. Maybe if on the Octave TODO list there were a topic which is graphics, UI, or web oriented he could suggest specifically working on that aspect ...

Indeed, I don't want Octave to appear unwelcoming.  There are loads of projects available, and a mentor can almost always be found if someone shows a specific interest in a task.  Besides the GSoC projects, there is also Octave's general list of projects (http://wiki.octave.org/Projects).  Edmund mentioned some other possibilities besides intense algorithm work.  I think creating a new Property Editor (I wrote the write-up for that on the GSoC page) could be a good one.  That would involve Qt graphics programming.  That said, most things in Octave require knowledge of either C++ or the m-file language.  Fortran, C, and Perl are used in very small doses and all of that code is basically in maintenance mode rather than new development.

--Rik


Edmund

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 4:26 PM, Andrew Engelbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 01/31/2018 09:51 AM, Carnë Draug wrote:

> Octave is applying to GSoC as an independent organization too.  So
> yes, there are mentors available but at this moment there are also a
> lot of applicants.
>
> There are a few pages on the Octave wiki about GSoC too, namely Summer
> of Code Projects Ideas [1] which includes steps on how to apply.  We
> don't really have mentors full-time, but the community is very active
> and if you make questions on IRC or the mailing lists, you're likely
> to get a reply.

Hello Carnë,

Thanks for your reply. If Darshan is sufficiently self-directed in his
approach to the internship, would it be okay for him to pick one of the
GSoC (or one of the other) projects and work on it this spring?

Thanks,
Andrew




-----------------------------------------
Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018
-----------------------------------------
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FSF spring internship applicant looking for a GNU project

Rik-4
On 01/31/2018 08:48 AM, Darshan kadu wrote:
Hello,

Thank you for replying.
As Edmund mentioned I can work on the project which won't require the strong mathematical background.

Rik's suggestion of the project seems suitable to me.  I have knowledge of C++ (also STL). And the project topic will not require specializes knowledge of mathematics.

Indeed I might require help to work on the project.

I will be working with some definite rules like giving the 7 days or 15-day report, maintaining the blog, etc depending on the convenience.

I would like to work on GUI_Variable_Editor_and_Property_Inspector if I have the permission.

The first bit of this project, cleaning up the Variable Editor, is in progress or has already been completed by Octave founder John W. Eaton.  The first step in the project, however, remains the same which is to review the Variable Editor as an example of the interface that we want to build.  I've updated the description of the project to reflect the new reality.

I will also put out this call for programmers who are familiar with the Qt toolkit and/or GUI in Octave to sign up as a mentor on the wiki at GUI_Variable_Editor_and_Property_Inspector if they have the time and temperament.

--Rik


I will be working 30- 40 hrs/week regularly but more on the weekends (I do have an academic session going on).  It would be great if someone mentors me for this project.

Again Thank you.
--Darshan




-----------------------------------------
Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018
-----------------------------------------
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FSF spring internship applicant looking for a GNU project

Sahil
In reply to this post by Andrew Engelbrecht
I am also looking forward to work on this project.

Sahil



--
Sent from: http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-Maintainers-f1638794.html


-----------------------------------------
Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018
-----------------------------------------
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FSF spring internship applicant looking for a GNU project

Darshan  kadu
In reply to this post by Rik-4
Hello,

I have build the Octave on my machine.

But this project is for GSoC'18, so is it fine if I start working on it, 
as my work will complete some tasks that to be done in GSoC project. 

--Darshan 

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 12:21 AM, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 01/31/2018 08:48 AM, Darshan kadu wrote:
Hello,

Thank you for replying.
As Edmund mentioned I can work on the project which won't require the strong mathematical background.

Rik's suggestion of the project seems suitable to me.  I have knowledge of C++ (also STL). And the project topic will not require specializes knowledge of mathematics.

Indeed I might require help to work on the project.

I will be working with some definite rules like giving the 7 days or 15-day report, maintaining the blog, etc depending on the convenience.

I would like to work on GUI_Variable_Editor_and_Property_Inspector if I have the permission.

The first bit of this project, cleaning up the Variable Editor, is in progress or has already been completed by Octave founder John W. Eaton.  The first step in the project, however, remains the same which is to review the Variable Editor as an example of the interface that we want to build.  I've updated the description of the project to reflect the new reality.

I will also put out this call for programmers who are familiar with the Qt toolkit and/or GUI in Octave to sign up as a mentor on the wiki at GUI_Variable_Editor_and_Property_Inspector if they have the time and temperament.

--Rik



I will be working 30- 40 hrs/week regularly but more on the weekends (I do have an academic session going on).  It would be great if someone mentors me for this project.

Again Thank you.
--Darshan





-----------------------------------------
Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018
-----------------------------------------
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FSF spring internship applicant looking for a GNU project

Rik-4
In reply to this post by Andrew Engelbrecht
On 02/08/2018 09:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
Subject:
Re: FSF spring internship applicant looking for a GNU project
From:
Darshan kadu [hidden email]
Date:
02/07/2018 09:06 AM
To:
Rik [hidden email]
CC:
[hidden email], Andrew Engelbrecht [hidden email]
List-Post:
[hidden email]
Precedence:
list
MIME-Version:
1.0
References:
[hidden email] <MTAwMDAxNS5ub21hZA.1517414662@quikprotect> [hidden email] <MTAwMDA0MC5ub21hZA.1517424711@quikprotect>
In-Reply-To:
<MTAwMDA0MC5ub21hZA.1517424711@quikprotect>
Message-ID:
[hidden email]
Content-Type:
multipart/alternative; boundary="001a1142a310f4a6930564a24f50"
Message:
1

Hello,

I have build the Octave on my machine.

But this project is for GSoC'18, so is it fine if I start working on it, 
as my work will complete some tasks that to be done in GSoC project. 


I don't believe there is any problem starting this.  However, there is no mentor signed up yet.  I think the first step is to have someone willing to be a guide for this project.  Possibilities might include jwe (he worked a lot on the Variable Editor), torsten (he understands GUI programming quite well), or Dan Sebald (he has been working on Qt code recently), or another volunteer from the Octave Maintainers list.  But, of course, I can't volunteer anyone's time so I don't know how busy they are right now.

--Rik


-----------------------------------------
Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018
-----------------------------------------
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FSF spring internship applicant looking for a GNU project

Darshan  kadu
Thank you for allowing me to work on this project.

So, for the first step (how can I find the mentor) anyone wants to help me to get in this project?

As of now, I have build the octave did some experiments with code. 

The project description  http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#GUI_Variable_Editor_and_Property_Inspector says first to know how the variable editor was implemented.

Using this knowledge I will have to work on Property inspector. 

Well, How can I break this task? 

Which small tasks or aspects should I work on initially? 


--Darshan

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 1:22 AM, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 02/08/2018 09:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
Subject:
Re: FSF spring internship applicant looking for a GNU project
From:
Darshan kadu [hidden email]
Date:
02/07/2018 09:06 AM
To:
Rik [hidden email]
CC:
[hidden email], Andrew Engelbrecht [hidden email]
List-Post:
[hidden email]
Precedence:
list
MIME-Version:
1.0
References:
[hidden email] <MTAwMDAxNS5ub21hZA.1517414662@quikprotect> [hidden email] <MTAwMDA0MC5ub21hZA.1517424711@quikprotect>
In-Reply-To:
<MTAwMDA0MC5ub21hZA.1517424711@quikprotect>
Message-ID:
[hidden email]
Content-Type:
multipart/alternative; boundary="001a1142a310f4a6930564a24f50"
Message:
1

Hello,

I have build the Octave on my machine.

But this project is for GSoC'18, so is it fine if I start working on it, 
as my work will complete some tasks that to be done in GSoC project. 


I don't believe there is any problem starting this.  However, there is no mentor signed up yet.  I think the first step is to have someone willing to be a guide for this project.  Possibilities might include jwe (he worked a lot on the Variable Editor), torsten (he understands GUI programming quite well), or Dan Sebald (he has been working on Qt code recently), or another volunteer from the Octave Maintainers list.  But, of course, I can't volunteer anyone's time so I don't know how busy they are right now.

--Rik



-----------------------------------------
Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018
-----------------------------------------