Finding texinfo errors in OF package docs

Finding texinfo errors in OF package docs

PhilipNienhuis
Hi,

During trial installations of OF mapping package several texinfo errors are
reported along these lines:

:
C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-IEvLoR:126: misplaced {
C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-IEvLoR:126: misplaced }
C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-HwNhIo:167: @itemx not
meaningful inside `@itemize'
 block
C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-zB6z2B:147: @itemx not
meaningful inside `@itemize'
 block
C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-zB6z2B:165: @itemx not
meaningful inside `@itemize'
 block
C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-bkikP8:141: @bye seen before
@end deftypefn
C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-JbGWy4:117: unknown command
`deftypefx'
For information about changes from previous versions of the mapping package,
run 'news mapping'.

Obviously I'd like to fix those errors but there's no clue as to which
function files the error messages belong, and the mentioned (temporary)
files disappear as soon as texinfo is done with the function files, i.e.
faster than I can lock them with e.g., a text editor.
IOW, these error messages are by no means helpful.

Any hints on how I can get more info about what texinfo errors to fix in
which function files?

Thanks,

Philip

Re: Finding texinfo errors in OF package docs

John Donoghue-3

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2019 15:42:01 -0600 (CST)
> From: PhilipNienhuis <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Finding texinfo errors in OF package docs
>
> Hi,
>
> During trial installations of OF mapping package several texinfo errors are
> reported along these lines:
>
> :
> C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-IEvLoR:126: misplaced {
> C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-IEvLoR:126: misplaced }
> C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-HwNhIo:167: @itemx not
> meaningful inside `@itemize'
>   block
> C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-zB6z2B:147: @itemx not
> meaningful inside `@itemize'
>   block
> C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-zB6z2B:165: @itemx not
> meaningful inside `@itemize'
>   block
> C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-bkikP8:141: @bye seen before
> @end deftypefn
> C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-JbGWy4:117: unknown command
> `deftypefx'
> For information about changes from previous versions of the mapping package,
> run 'news mapping'.
>
> Obviously I'd like to fix those errors but there's no clue as to which
> function files the error messages belong, and the mentioned (temporary)
> files disappear as soon as texinfo is done with the function files, i.e.
> faster than I can lock them with e.g., a text editor.
> IOW, these error messages are by no means helpful.
>
> Any hints on how I can get more info about what texinfo errors to fix in
> which function files?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Philip

I always have that issue as well and usually pull out the texinfo from
the files into one big one and run makeinfo on it and then look at the
line numbers from within that file to match it all up

On 1/4/19 8:09 PM, John Donoghue wrote:

>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 6
>> Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2019 15:42:01 -0600 (CST)
>> From: PhilipNienhuis <[hidden email]>
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Finding texinfo errors in OF package docs
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> During trial installations of OF mapping package several texinfo
>> errors are
>> reported along these lines:
>>
>> :
>> C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-IEvLoR:126: misplaced {
>> C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-IEvLoR:126: misplaced }
>> C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-HwNhIo:167: @itemx not
>> meaningful inside `@itemize'
>>   block
>> C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-zB6z2B:147: @itemx not
>> meaningful inside `@itemize'
>>   block
>> C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-zB6z2B:165: @itemx not
>> meaningful inside `@itemize'
>>   block
>> C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-bkikP8:141: @bye seen
>> before
>> @end deftypefn
>> C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-JbGWy4:117: unknown
>> command
>> `deftypefx'
>> For information about changes from previous versions of the mapping
>> package,
>> run 'news mapping'.
>>
>> Obviously I'd like to fix those errors but there's no clue as to which
>> function files the error messages belong, and the mentioned (temporary)
>> files disappear as soon as texinfo is done with the function files, i.e.
>> faster than I can lock them with e.g., a text editor.
>> IOW, these error messages are by no means helpful.
>>
>> Any hints on how I can get more info about what texinfo errors to fix in
>> which function files?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Philip
>

> I always have that issue as well and usually pull out the texinfo from
> the files into one big one and run makeinfo on it and then look at the
> line numbers from within that file to match it all up

octave-help-IEvLoR:126: misplaced {  => inst/earthRadius.m seealso is
missing a @

octave-help-HwNhIo:167: @itemx not meaningful inside `@itemize' =>
inst/polybool.m itemx lines

octave-help-JbGWy4:117: unknown command `deftypefx' => inst/polyjoin.m,
deftypefx should be deftypefnx

octave-help-bkikP8:141: @bye seen before @end deftypefn =>
inst/polycut.m has two deftypefn statements

Re: Finding texinfo errors in OF package docs

Colin Macdonald-2
On 2019-01-04 1:42 p.m., PhilipNienhuis wrote:
> Obviously I'd like to fix those errors but there's no clue as to which
> function files the error messages belong, and the mentioned (temporary)
> files disappear as soon as texinfo is done with the function files, i.e.
> faster than I can lock them with e.g., a text editor.
> IOW, these error messages are by no means helpful.
>
> Any hints on how I can get more info about what texinfo errors to fix in
> which function files?

I filed a patch a while back that I think would help:

https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?9464

Colin

Re: Finding texinfo errors in OF package docs

PhilipNienhuis
Gentlemen,

Rik wrote:
>> Try temporarily modifying your copy of scripts/help/__makeinfo__.m.
>> Specifically, comment out line 154 where the temporary file is
 >> deleted.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, much appreciated.

Question remains: is there a way to turn those messages into more useful
ones?

<long snip>

> octave-help-IEvLoR:126: misplaced {  => inst/earthRadius.m seealso is
> missing a @
>
> octave-help-HwNhIo:167: @itemx not meaningful inside `@itemize' =>
> inst/polybool.m itemx lines
>
> octave-help-JbGWy4:117: unknown command `deftypefx' => inst/polyjoin.m,
> deftypefx should be deftypefnx
>
> octave-help-bkikP8:141: @bye seen before @end deftypefn =>
> inst/polycut.m has two deftypefn statements

Thanks John, a good start. Those were only a sample of the 30 or 40
error messages.

Philip