First 4.4.0 release candidate on alpha.gnu.org

First 4.4.0 release candidate on alpha.gnu.org

The source tarball for the first 4.4.0 release candidate is now on
alpha.gnu.org.

I will make and upload corresponding Windows installers and zip files
soon, hopefully sometime today.

After uploading, I noticed that I ran "make dist" before committing the
changeset for the release.  That means that the hg id stored in the
tarball is cbe53b5ea5ce+ instead of a5ad9c053e41.  Maybe it would be
good to add a check in the dist target to prevent running make dist with
local changes that are not checked in...

Re: First 4.4.0 release candidate on alpha.gnu.org

tmacchant
--- jwe
> The source tarball for the first 4.4.0 release candidate is now on alpha.gnu.org.
>
> I will make and upload corresponding Windows installers and zip files soon, hopefully sometime today.
>
> After uploading, I noticed that I ran "make dist" before committing the changeset for the release.  That means that the hg id stored in the tarball is cbe53b5ea5ce+ instead of a5ad9c053e41.  Maybe it would be good to add a check in the dist target to prevent running make dist with local changes that are not checked in...
>
> jwe

I propose to add 7zip archive one for windows binaries due to much higher compession ability than zip archive.

gnuplot project now ditributes non-installer binary as 7zip but not zip.

Tatsuro

On 04/11/2018 05:28 PM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

> I propose to add 7zip archive one for windows binaries due to much higher compession ability than zip archive.

As an additional option, or to replace the zip archive?

Will this utility work to produce the files?  I need something that runs
on my Debian build system and that is free software.

   https://packages.debian.org/stretch/p7zip

Re: First 4.4.0 release candidate on alpha.gnu.org

Mike Miller-4
On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 21:59:05 -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 04/11/2018 05:28 PM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
>
> > I propose to add 7zip archive one for windows binaries due to much higher compession ability than zip archive.
>
> As an additional option, or to replace the zip archive?
>
> Will this utility work to produce the files?  I need something that runs on
> my Debian build system and that is free software.
>
>   https://packages.debian.org/stretch/p7zip
Either p7zip (includes 7zr) or p7zip-full (includes 7z and 7za).

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/p7zip-full

I'm not sure of all the differences but I've had no trouble extracting
7z files using 7z on Debian. I've not yet had the need to create one.

Re: First 4.4.0 release candidate on alpha.gnu.org

tmacchant

> On 04/11/2018 05:28 PM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
>
>>  I propose to add 7zip archive one for windows binaries due to much higher
> compession ability than zip archive.
>
> As an additional option, or to replace the zip archive?

For 4.0.x, I unofficially distributed 64bit windows binary only in 7zip.
However, I targeted  at the time power users on windows.
For preliminary users on windows only can only handle zip archive, I think.

Therefore I vote to an additional option.

> Will this utility work to produce the files?  I need something that runs on my
> Debian build system and that is free software.
>
>   https://packages.debian.org/stretch/p7zip

I use 7za on Cygwin and Msys2.

p7zip is Unix version of 7zip
https://sourceforge.net/projects/p7zip/

Tatsuro

On 04/11/2018 10:34 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 21:59:05 -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
>> On 04/11/2018 05:28 PM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
>>
>>> I propose to add 7zip archive one for windows binaries due to much higher compession ability than zip archive.
>>
>> As an additional option, or to replace the zip archive?
>>
>> Will this utility work to produce the files?  I need something that runs on
>> my Debian build system and that is free software.
>>
>>    https://packages.debian.org/stretch/p7zip
>
> Either p7zip (includes 7zr) or p7zip-full (includes 7z and 7za).
>
> https://packages.debian.org/stretch/p7zip-full
>
> I'm not sure of all the differences but I've had no trouble extracting
> 7z files using 7z on Debian. I've not yet had the need to create one.

OK, I ended up trying p7zip.  The installer, 7z, and zip files are on
alpha.gnu.org  now.  Let me know if unpacking the 7z file works for you
on Windows.

Re: First 4.4.0 release candidate on alpha.gnu.org

tmacchant

> On 04/11/2018 10:34 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

> higher compession ability than zip archive.
>>>
>>>  As an additional option, or to replace the zip archive?
>>>
>>>  Will this utility work to produce the files?  I need something that
> runs on
>>>  my Debian build system and that is free software.
>>>
>>>     https://packages.debian.org/stretch/p7zip
>>
>>  Either p7zip (includes 7zr) or p7zip-full (includes 7z and 7za).
>>
>>  https://packages.debian.org/stretch/p7zip-full
>>
>>  I'm not sure of all the differences but I've had no trouble
> extracting
>>  7z files using 7z on Debian. I've not yet had the need to create one.
>
> OK, I ended up trying p7zip.  The installer, 7z, and zip files are on
> alpha.gnu.org  now.  Let me know if unpacking the 7z file works for you
> on Windows.
>
> jwe
With 7zip tool for windows on
https://www.7-zip.org/

I can extract octave-4.3.90-w64.7z and octave works successfully.

Thanks!

Tatsuro