First Time Contributor help

Vishal Subbiah
Hi,

I wish to contribute to octave as I have been using it for over a year now and find it very useful. I looked through the get-involved link on the website but I do not find it very helpful  on how to contribute for the first time and seem to be going in circles. Could anyone help me get started?

Thanks and Regards,
Vishal Subbiah
Department of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering
Second year undergraduate
IIT Madras

Re: First Time Contributor help

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 10:05 PM, Vishal Subbiah
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wish to contribute to octave as I have been using it for over a year now
> and find it very useful. I looked through the get-involved link on the
> website but I do not find it very helpful  on how to contribute for the
> first time and seem to be going in circles. Could anyone help me get
> started?
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Vishal Subbiah
> Department of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering
> Second year undergraduate
> IIT Madras

It is as easy as looking at some project you could help with (ask the
list before starting, people might already be working on it) and code
away!
You can also go through the bugs tracker
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave
and try to fix something.

Make sure you read the coding style and how to create changesets
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Contributing-Guidelines.html
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/tip/etc/HACKING
http://wiki.octave.org/Mercurial#Creating_changesets_with_hg
http://wiki.octave.org/Commit_message_guidelines

Re: First Time Contributor help

Vishal Subbiah
Thanks, but I am unable to tell if i can help out based on looking at the projects. Any suggestions?

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wish to contribute to octave as I have been using it for over a year now
> and find it very useful. I looked through the get-involved link on the
> website but I do not find it very helpful  on how to contribute for the
> first time and seem to be going in circles. Could anyone help me get
> started?
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Vishal Subbiah
> Department of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering
> Second year undergraduate
> IIT Madras

It is as easy as looking at some project you could help with (ask the
list before starting, people might already be working on it) and code
away!
You can also go through the bugs tracker
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave
and try to fix something.

Make sure you read the coding style and how to create changesets
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Contributing-Guidelines.html
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/tip/etc/HACKING
http://wiki.octave.org/Mercurial#Creating_changesets_with_hg
http://wiki.octave.org/Commit_message_guidelines

Re: First Time Contributor help

c.-2

On 22 May 2014, at 14:40, Vishal Subbiah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, but I am unable to tell if i can help out based on looking at the projects. Any suggestions?
sorry, can you better clarify this statement?

if a list of topics where contributions are sought is not helpful to
answer your question, maybe there has been a misunderstanding about
what you were asking in the first place ...

are the following pages helpful in any way?

http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#How_can_I_get_involved_in_Octave_development.3F
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Contributing-Guidelines.html#Contributing-Guidelines

c.

Re: First Time Contributor help

Vishal Subbiah
I have gone through the above links. While going through the projects, I am unsure of the skill requirements to participate in a project.

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 6:40 PM, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 22 May 2014, at 14:40, Vishal Subbiah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, but I am unable to tell if i can help out based on looking at the projects. Any suggestions?
sorry, can you better clarify this statement?

if a list of topics where contributions are sought is not helpful to
answer your question, maybe there has been a misunderstanding about
what you were asking in the first place ...

are the following pages helpful in any way?

http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#How_can_I_get_involved_in_Octave_development.3F
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Contributing-Guidelines.html#Contributing-Guidelines

c.

Re: First Time Contributor help

Richard Crozier
On 22/05/2014 14:15, Vishal Subbiah wrote:
> I have gone through the above links. While going through the projects, I
> am unsure of the skill requirements to participate in a project.
>
> Regards,
> Vishal Subbiah

Note that this list does bottom posting, where you reply underneath, the
person you're replying to, like this, rather than above.

A good way to demonstrate your skills, would be to go through the bug
tracker, pick one or two that sound relevant to you and within your
skill level, and supply mercurial changesets fixing them.

http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave

This would give everyone a feel for your strengths and capabilities, and
help in pointing you in the right direction.

Regards,
Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

On 22 May 2014, at 15:15, Vishal Subbiah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have gone through the above links. While going through the projects, I am unsure of the skill requirements to participate in a project.

OK, I understand now.

Some project descriptionss come with a rough estimate
of the kind and depth and knowledge they require.

If this is not sufficient to you I suggest you start
by working on something that is intresting or useful
for yourself ...

For example, what do you mainly use Octave for?
In your daily use of Octave is there some feature
you miss which you think would improve your experience?
Is there any glitch in the current version of Octave
that is making your life hard?
If so, you could start by discussing what you would
like to be changed and we could guide you regarding how to
make those changes.

c.