Flush history?

Richard Kirk
Hi.

Is there a way to flush the history? I am trying to trace an intermittent crash in my code. Octave seems to flush out the history buffer when it exits normally, but the history is lost if it crashes (entirely reasonable). It would be handy for my debugging if I could save the history to date before running a command that may cause a crash.

Thanks.
Richard KIrk

Re: Flush history?

Alexander Barth-3
Hi,

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Richard KIrk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.

Is there a way to flush the history?

yes: history -w
Cheers,
Alex

Re: Flush history?

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 22 July 2013 09:44, Richard KIrk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there a way to flush the history? I am trying to trace an intermittent
> crash in my code. Octave seems to flush out the history buffer when it exits
> normally, but the history is lost if it crashes (entirely reasonable).

Octave crashing isn't tolerable. If you can tell us under which
conditions it's crashing, you should prepare a bug report.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Flush history?

Richard Kirk

On 12 Aug 2013, at 17:45, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

On 22 July 2013 09:44, Richard KIrk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there a way to flush the history? I am trying to trace an intermittent
crash in my code. Octave seems to flush out the history buffer when it exits
normally, but the history is lost if it crashes (entirely reasonable).

The solution was to use 'history -w' - saving to the default file does what I wanted.

Octave crashing isn't tolerable. If you can tell us under which
conditions it's crashing, you should prepare a bug report.

It's in my compiled oct-file stuff, so it's my fault. I have since run octave under gdb
and found out why it was doing this.

Thanks.
Richard

---
FilmLight Ltd, Artists House, 14-15 Manette Street, London W1D 4AP
Tel: +44 (0)20 7292 0400  Fax: +44 (0)20 7292 0401