Fwd: IO package installation problem

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fwd: IO package installation problem

Hamed Shakouri


---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Hamed Shakouri <[hidden email]>
Date: Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 5:57 PM
Subject: IO package installation problem
To: <[hidden email]>


Dear Phiip,

Sorry, for taking your time. 
I tried several times to install I/o package version .11
I had Java (64 bits) already installed.
I tried  >> pkg install io…..
But after all when trying to read an xls file I see this error message:
warning: Functions for spreadsheet style I/O (.xls .xlsx .sxc .ods .dbf .wk1
etc.)  are provided in the io package.  See
<https://octave.sourceforge.io/io/>.
… and nothing is read.
Would you help me come up with this?
Thank you,
Hamed. 

--

With Regards,

Hamed Shakouri G.


--

With Regards,

Hamed Shakouri G.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IO package installation problem

Nir Krakauer-3
Did you first do
pkg load io
?


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IO package installation problem

Nir Krakauer-3


On Wed, Oct 10, 2018, 2:06 PM Hamed Shakouri <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not inside the Octave, but from the webpage, and I put it in the current folder so that it would be found by "pkg install".
Isn't it sufficient?

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 9:33 AM Nir Krakauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Did you first do
pkg load io
?

After installing any package, to use the functions in it, you need to invoke in Octave `pkg load package_name`.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IO package installation problem

Nir Krakauer-3


On Wed, Oct 10, 2018, 7:01 PM Hamed Shakouri <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Nir,
Thank you for the information.
I try:
>> pkg install io-2.4.11.tar.gz
This message then appears:
warning: (Automatic loading of spreadsheet I/O Java classlibs failed)
For information about changes from previous versions of the io package, run 'news io'.
So, the package is not installed yet!
How this can be solved?
I have already installed Java 8 (64Bits), as you see in the attached PrtSc:
image.png


On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 12:13 PM Nir Krakauer <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Wed, Oct 10, 2018, 2:06 PM Hamed Shakouri <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not inside the Octave, but from the webpage, and I put it in the current folder so that it would be found by "pkg install".
Isn't it sufficient?

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 9:33 AM Nir Krakauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Did you first do
pkg load io
?

After installing any package, to use the functions in it, you need to invoke in Octave `pkg load package_name`.


--

With Regards,

Hamed Shakouri G.


Please keep copying the mailing list.

As long as `pkg install` gives no `error` message, the installation was presumably more or less successful. So you should follow with `pkg load io` and see if the functionality you need works.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IO package installation problem

tmacchant
----- Original Message -----

>On Wed, Oct 10, 2018, 7:01 PM Hamed Shakouri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>Dear Nir,
>>Thank you for the information.
>>I try:
>>>> pkg install io-2.4.11.tar.gz
>>This message then appears:
>>warning: (Automatic loading of spreadsheet I/O Java classlibs failed)
>>For information about changes from previous versions of the io package, run 'news io'.
>>So, the package is not installed yet!
>>How this can be solved?
>>I have already installed Java 8 (64Bits), as you see in the attached PrtSc:
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 12:13 PM Nir Krakauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>
>>>
>>>On Wed, Oct 10, 2018, 2:06 PM Hamed Shakouri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>Not inside the Octave, but from the webpage, and I put it in the current folder so that it would be found by "pkg install".
>>>>Isn't it sufficient?
>>>>
>>>>On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 9:33 AM Nir Krakauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>Did you first do
>>>>>pkg load io
>>>>>?
>>>
>>>
>>>After installing any package, to use the functions in it, you need to invoke in Octave `pkg load package_name`.
>>
>>--
>>
>>
>>
>>With Regards,
>>
>>
>>Hamed Shakouri G.
>
>
>
>
>Please keep copying the mailing list.
>
>
>As long as `pkg install` gives no `error` message, the installation was presumably more or less successful. So you should follow with `pkg load io` and see if the functionality you need works.
>
>
>
You are using octave 4.4.1 on windows.
Windows package include some pre-build octave-forge packages.
The io package is one of them.
The package that you want use should should be loaded before use.

On windows version 4.4.1

>> pkg list io
Package Name  | Version | Installation directory
--------------+---------+-----------------------
          io  |  2.4.11 | ...\share\octave\packages\io-2.4.11

>> pkg load io
>> pkg list io
Package Name  | Version | Installation directory
--------------+---------+-----------------------
          io *|  2.4.11 | C:\Octave\OCTAVE~2.1\share\octave\packages\io-2.4.11
"*" atter io indicates that io package is loaded and you can use it

HTH

Tatsuro



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IO package installation problem

Hamed Shakouri
Thank you for the clarification. I did so, and the package is now loaded.
But still xlsread(…) command doesn't work properly. "test" is a simple excel file with just one numeric cell.
The error message is:
>> xx=xlsread('test.xlsx')
Detected XLS interfaces: error: 'chk_jar_entries' undefined near line 38 column 22
error: called from
    __POI_chk_sprt__ at line 38 column 20
    getxlsinterfaces at line 139 column 23
    xlsopen at line 262 column 17
    xlsread at line 233 column 11

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 5:11 PM Tatsuro MATSUOKA <[hidden email]> wrote:
----- Original Message -----
>On Wed, Oct 10, 2018, 7:01 PM Hamed Shakouri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>Dear Nir,
>>Thank you for the information.
>>I try:
>>>> pkg install io-2.4.11.tar.gz
>>This message then appears:
>>warning: (Automatic loading of spreadsheet I/O Java classlibs failed)
>>For information about changes from previous versions of the io package, run 'news io'.
>>So, the package is not installed yet!
>>How this can be solved?
>>I have already installed Java 8 (64Bits), as you see in the attached PrtSc:
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 12:13 PM Nir Krakauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>
>>>
>>>On Wed, Oct 10, 2018, 2:06 PM Hamed Shakouri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>Not inside the Octave, but from the webpage, and I put it in the current folder so that it would be found by "pkg install".
>>>>Isn't it sufficient?
>>>>
>>>>On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 9:33 AM Nir Krakauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>Did you first do
>>>>>pkg load io
>>>>>?
>>>
>>>
>>>After installing any package, to use the functions in it, you need to invoke in Octave `pkg load package_name`.
>>
>>--
>>
>>
>>
>>With Regards,
>>
>>
>>Hamed Shakouri G.
>
>
>
>
>Please keep copying the mailing list.
>
>
>As long as `pkg install` gives no `error` message, the installation was presumably more or less successful. So you should follow with `pkg load io` and see if the functionality you need works.
>
>
>
You are using octave 4.4.1 on windows.
Windows package include some pre-build octave-forge packages.
The io package is one of them.
The package that you want use should should be loaded before use.

On windows version 4.4.1

>> pkg list io
Package Name  | Version | Installation directory
--------------+---------+-----------------------
          io  |  2.4.11 | ...\share\octave\packages\io-2.4.11

>> pkg load io
>> pkg list io
Package Name  | Version | Installation directory
--------------+---------+-----------------------
          io *|  2.4.11 | C:\Octave\OCTAVE~2.1\share\octave\packages\io-2.4.11
"*" atter io indicates that io package is loaded and you can use it

HTH

Tatsuro



--

With Regards,

Hamed Shakouri G.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IO package installation problem

tmacchant
----- Original Message -----

>From: Hamed Shakouri 
>To: tmacchant 
>Cc: nirkrakauer help|
>Date: 2018/10/12, Fri 03:06
>Subject: Re: IO package installation problem
>
>
>Thank you for the clarification. I did so, and the package is now loaded.
>But still xlsread(…) command doesn't work properly. "test" is a simple excel file with just one numeric cell.
>The error message is:
>>> xx=xlsread('test.xlsx')
>Detected XLS interfaces: error: 'chk_jar_entries' undefined near line 38 column 22
>error: called from
>    __POI_chk_sprt__ at line 38 column 20
>    getxlsinterfaces at line 139 column 23
>    xlsopen at line 262 column 17
>    xlsread at line 233 column 11
>
>
I myself have never used xlsread.

After some googling, 
I think that something is wrong with Java (Oracle JRE).

If you install MS-Excel(32 bit) on your PC, you can access xlsx via windows and MS-Excel internally.
You can do the above when you load the windows package in addition to the io package

(You can check your Excel is 32 or 64 bit by task manager.)

>> pkg load io
>> pkg load windows

HTH

Tatsuro


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IO package installation problem

tmacchant




----- Original Message -----

> From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA <[hidden email]>
> To: Hamed Shakouri <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Date: 2018/10/12, Fri 17:44
> Subject: Re: IO package installation problem
>
> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: Hamed Shakouri 
>> To: tmacchant 
>> Cc: nirkrakauer help|
>> Date: 2018/10/12, Fri 03:06
>> Subject: Re: IO package installation problem
>>
>>
>> Thank you for the clarification. I did so, and the package is now loaded.
>> But still xlsread(…) command doesn't work properly. "test" is
> a simple excel file with just one numeric cell.
>> The error message is:
>>>>  xx=xlsread('test.xlsx')
>> Detected XLS interfaces: error: 'chk_jar_entries' undefined near
> line 38 column 22
>> error: called from
>>     __POI_chk_sprt__ at line 38 column 20
>>     getxlsinterfaces at line 139 column 23
>>     xlsopen at line 262 column 17
>>     xlsread at line 233 column 11
>>
>>
> I myself have never used xlsread.
>
> After some googling, 
> I think that something is wrong with Java (Oracle JRE).
>
> If you install MS-Excel(32 bit) on your PC, you can access xlsx via windows and
> MS-Excel internally.
> You can do the above when you load the windows package in addition to the io
> package
>
> (You can check your Excel is 32 or 64 bit by task manager.)
>
>>>  pkg load io
>>>  pkg load windows
>
> HTH
>
> Tatsuro
>