GNU Octave 4.4.0 Released

The Octave developers are pleased to announce a major new release of GNU
Octave, version 4.4.0.

Octave 4.4 is a major new release with many new features, better
compatibility with Matlab, and many new and improved functions.

A list of important user-visible changes is available at
http://octave.org/NEWS-4.4.html, by selecting the Release Notes item in
the News menu of the GUI, or by typing "news" at the Octave command prompt.

We hope you find Octave to be useful.  We could also use your help to
make Octave even better for the future, and further improve the user
experience for both novices and experts alike.

   * If you are a skilled software developer, you can help by
contributing your time with Octave's development.  See
http://octave.org/get-involved for more information.

   * If Octave does not work properly, you are encouraged to report the
problems you find.  Bug reporting guidelines are available at
http://octave.org/bugs

   * Your financial support also helps to make Octave better.  Please
see https://my.fsf.org/donate/working-together/octave

Commercial support options are also available.  Please see
http://octave.org/support for details.

The source code for Octave 4.4.0 is available for download at:

   http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave
   ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave

Please see http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html for mirror sites around the
world.  Or you may use http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/octave, which will
redirect automatically to a nearby mirror.

An official Windows binary installer is also available from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/windows

Links to binary (executable) versions for other systems will be listed
at http://octave.org/download as they become available.

As always, many people contributed to this Octave release.  A complete
list of contributors may be found in the Octave manual.

About Octave:

GNU Octave is a high-level interpreted language, primarily intended for
numerical computations.  It provides capabilities for the numerical
solution of linear and nonlinear problems and for performing other
numerical experiments.  It also provides extensive graphics capabilities
for data visualization and manipulation.  Octave is normally used
through its interactive command line interface, but it can also be used
to write non-interactive programs.  The Octave language is quite similar
to Matlab so that most programs are easily portable.  A full description
of Octave capabilities is available at http://octave.org/doc/interpreter

Re: GNU Octave 4.4.0 Released

sshah
To install octave 4.4.0 from source on ubuntu LTS or Debian Stable, is there
an update to

http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Debian_systems  ?

Current wiki page shows dependencies on qt4 packages.

If users should look at some other pages for instructions to install from
source with the dependencies described in NEWS, it is hard to find it on the
Wiki pages.

" Compiling from source

The only tricky part is to install the dependencies. Once that is solved,
installing from source should be as easy as ./configure && make && make
install. See the manual for configure options and below for some common
examples. "

On which Linux distro ./configure && make && make install work for 4.4 ?

Re: GNU Octave 4.4.0 Released

Montgomery-Smith, Stephen
Thanks for the update to 4.4.0.  I have built it from source code, and
now I notice that a number of octave-forge packages no longer build
successfully.  One example is general.  Are there going to be new
releases of these packages that work with Octave 4.4.0 coming out soon?

(I saw on the mercurial repository that there has been some work on
general to make it compatible with Octave 4.4.0.  Maybe it needs to be
released as a package.)

This is the list of packages I couldn't build.  This was on FreeBSD.
Some of them probably haven't been maintained for quite a while, so I
guess they can be dropped.

audio
communications
database