GSCOs 2017: pytave?

JuanPi
Hi,

Is anybody wanting to write a GSOC project for pytave?
We have one for the symbolic package, but it si not Pytave specific.
http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Symbolic_package

--
JuanPi Carbajal
Public GnuPG key: 9C5B72BF
- C. Darwin

Re: GSCOs 2017: pytave?

Colin Macdonald-2
On 30/01/17 02:40, JuanPi wrote:
> Is anybody wanting to write a GSOC project for pytave?
> We have one for the symbolic package, but it si not Pytave specific.
> http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Symbolic_package

This is a good idea.  For example, getting Pytave to a merge-able state
(with core Octave) is likely higher priority than any symbolic improvements.

@mtmiller: do you want me to draft something on the wiki?

best,
Colin

Re: GSCOs 2017: pytave?

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 6:33 PM, Colin Macdonald <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30/01/17 02:40, JuanPi wrote:
>>
>> Is anybody wanting to write a GSOC project for pytave?
>> We have one for the symbolic package, but it si not Pytave specific.
>> http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Symbolic_package
>

> This is a good idea.  For example, getting Pytave to a merge-able state
> (with core Octave) is likely higher priority than any symbolic improvements.
>
> @mtmiller: do you want me to draft something on the wiki?
>
> best,
> Colin

Hi Colin,

Sorry to meddle, but I suggest you go ahead and draft your idea, mike
or any other person will edit/remove it if they do not want it (I do
not see why).

Re: GSCOs 2017: pytave?

Colin Macdonald-2
On 30/01/17 09:56, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
> Sorry to meddle, but I suggest you go ahead and draft your idea, mike
> or any other person will edit/remove it if they do not want it (I do
> not see why).

Done!  I also added a "Chebfun/classdef" project; I listed Carnë and
Mike (who I think are interested in classdef) but others can edit or
take the lead.

I think improving classdef and pytave should be fairly high priorities,
and either would also be fun rewarding projects for students.

Colin

Re: GSCOs 2017: pytave?

Marco Caliari-4
On Thu, 2 Feb 2017, Colin Macdonald wrote:

> On 30/01/17 09:56, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
>> Sorry to meddle, but I suggest you go ahead and draft your idea, mike
>> or any other person will edit/remove it if they do not want it (I do
>> not see why).
>
> Done!  I also added a "Chebfun/classdef" project; I listed Carnë and Mike
> (who I think are interested in classdef) but others can edit or take the
> lead.

Great idea Chebfun in GNU Octave! I see that you indicated "someone from
Chebfun team" as possible mentor. I personally know Nick Trefethen, shall
I ask him? It is possible he knows both mentors and students interested in
the project.

Marco

Re: GSCOs 2017: pytave?

Colin Macdonald-2
On 04/02/17 01:51, Marco Caliari wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Feb 2017, Colin Macdonald wrote:
>> Done!  I also added a "Chebfun/classdef" project; I listed Carnë and
>> Mike (who I think are interested in classdef) but others can edit or
>> take the lead.
>
> Great idea Chebfun in GNU Octave! I see that you indicated "someone from
> Chebfun team" as possible mentor. I personally know Nick Trefethen,
> shall I ask him? It is possible he knows both mentors and students
> interested in the project.

Maybe an email to [hidden email] would be appropriate.  I think that
goes to Nick and his research group.  I can do it.

Colin

Re: GSCOs 2017: pytave?

Colin Macdonald-2
On 04/02/17 08:22, Colin Macdonald wrote:
> Maybe an email to [hidden email] would be appropriate.  I think that
> goes to Nick and his research group.  I can do it.

Done.  Marco, I also added you the potential mentors list, hope that's ok.

Colin

Re: GSCOs 2017: pytave?

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 7:58 PM, Colin Macdonald <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/02/17 08:22, Colin Macdonald wrote:
>>
>> Maybe an email to [hidden email] would be appropriate.  I think that
>> goes to Nick and his research group.  I can do it.
>

> Done.  Marco, I also added you the potential mentors list, hope that's ok.
>
> Colin

Hi,

I would be also interested, if needed, to be a co-mentor. Never used
chebfun, but now that you point it to me I will try it immediately.
I am [[User:KaKiLa]] in the wiki.

Cheers

Re: GSCOs 2017: pytave?

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 8:32 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 7:58 PM, Colin Macdonald <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 04/02/17 08:22, Colin Macdonald wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe an email to [hidden email] would be appropriate.  I think that
>>> goes to Nick and his research group.  I can do it.
>>

>> Done.  Marco, I also added you the potential mentors list, hope that's ok.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> Hi,
>
> I would be also interested, if needed, to be a co-mentor. Never used
> chebfun, but now that you point it to me I will try it immediately.
> I am [[User:KaKiLa]] in the wiki.
>
> Cheers

Hi,

Would any of you would like to present chebfun (and your plans) at OctConf 2017?
What about inviting some of the original authors?

Thanks for the coop.

JPi

Re: GSCOs 2017: pytave?

Marco Caliari-4
On Sat, 4 Feb 2017, Colin Macdonald wrote:

> On 04/02/17 08:22, Colin Macdonald wrote:
>> Maybe an email to [hidden email] would be appropriate.  I think that
>> goes to Nick and his research group.  I can do it.
>
> Done.  Marco, I also added you the potential mentors list, hope that's ok.

Dear Colin,

I'm much interested in the project, but I don't think I can contribute. I
know nothing about classdef. Please insert Juan Pablo, instead.

Marco

Re: GSCOs 2017: pytave?

Marco Caliari-4
On Sun, 5 Feb 2017, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 8:32 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Done.  Marco, I also added you the potential mentors list, hope that's ok.
>>>
>>> Colin
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I would be also interested, if needed, to be a co-mentor. Never used
>> chebfun, but now that you point it to me I will try it immediately.
>> I am [[User:KaKiLa]] in the wiki.
>>
>> Cheers
>
> Hi,
>
> Would any of you would like to present chebfun (and your plans) at OctConf 2017?
> What about inviting some of the original authors?

I attended a couple of summer schools with Nick presenting chebfun, but I
do not use it and I would be definitely not able to present it.

Marco