GSOC 2017 Application - Infrastructure

Ameya Shenoy
Hello, Greetings,

I Ameya Shenoy, (codingCoffee on IRC), am interested in applying for GSoC 2017 and contributing to the Infrastructure of Octave. I needed some guidance , so that I can effectively contribute to Octave project in context of GSoC.

My Application link can be found below, and I would like to know, as to what short projects I could take up so as to be prepared for GSoC in context of my application. I intend to work on Jupyter Integration, Command line suggestion feature and Octave code sharing.

C++, Python and Octave are my programming languages. My github profile: http://github.com/codingCoffee/

Best Reguards,
Ameya Shenoy

Re: GSOC 2017 Application - Infrastructure

siko1056
Ameya Shenoy wrote
Hello, Greetings,

I Ameya Shenoy, (codingCoffee on IRC), am interested in applying for GSoC
2017 and contributing to the Infrastructure of Octave. I *needed* some
*guidance* , so that I can effectively contribute to Octave project in
context of GSoC.

My Application link can be found below, and I would like to know, as to
what *short projects I could take up* so as to be prepared for GSoC in
context of my application. I intend to work on *Jupyter Integration*, *Command
line suggestion feature* and *Octave code sharing*.

C++, Python and Octave are my programming languages. My github profile:
http://github.com/codingCoffee/

Application Link: http://wiki.octave.org/User:CodingCoffee

Best Reguards,
Ameya Shenoy
Hello Ameya Shenoy,

Welcome to Octave. What kind of guidance do you need? We are not like lecturers or employers who say "do this", "do that", then we're fine. The Octave community is a loosely organized association of volunteers, so start working on what bothers you. In your introduction, an interesting sentence for me was:

"I had to use the source-forge octave package, which made me realize some of the shortcomings of the package, which I would like to improve."

I don't know which package you mean, but that sounds like you know about something you want to do. You provided some very simple implementations at your repository [1], that definitely don't only work for scalars (vectorization) and are classes in Matlab (see classdef), not functions. Maybe you should apply for that topic, rather than working on our suggested projects. Jupyter Integration, Command line suggestion feature, and Octave code sharing don't seem to fit to you, as you write you don't know anything about them, except for the Python language. They are also not meant to be worked on all together, as it requires some time to dive into each of them! Don't feel discouraged, but maybe you reconsider your application topic?

Best,
Kai

[1]: https://github.com/codingCoffee/octave_functions