Quantcast

GSOC 2017 Idea Improve logm, sqrtm, funm

GSOC 2017 Idea Improve logm, sqrtm, funm

Valliappan C A
Hello everyone,

As I introduced my self earlier, I'm a final year student majoring Electronincs & Instrumentation from BITS Pilani, India. I have strong coding skills and proficient in Matlab and C++.
I am looking forward to take part in GSOC 2017, and I'm interested to work on idea- improve logm, sqrtm, funm
I have been looking into the code base and found that it is well structured that help me a lot in becoming comfortable with the code base.
I will start contributing to GNU-Octave soon, but it will be excellent if anyone can point out some issue just for start. Some pointers will be really helpful to start working on this module.
Lastly I apologize if I have been rude in any manner.

--
Valliappan.C.A
BITS PILANI K K BIRLA GOA CAMPUS
Contact: +91-8378988093

Re: GSOC 2017 Idea Improve logm, sqrtm, funm

Michael Godfrey
You could start by looking at bug report:#44310. This is quite old, but has not
been worked on. Now that C++11 is in use the entire set of elementary functions
should be redone to make use of the math library. The current functions use
numerically unstable transformations.  As far as I remember only atanh was
corrected to use libm.

Doing this would be an important contribution and is not dependent on much
detailed knowledge of Octave.  Of course, carefully coded tests for each function
will be required and these will need to be included in the source code as is
done for other functions.

Thanks very much for offering to help.

Michael

On 03/09/2017 07:33 PM, Valliappan C A wrote:
[...]

PhilipNienhuis
Valliappan C A wrote
Hello everyone,

As I introduced my self earlier, I'm a final year student majoring
Electronincs & Instrumentation from BITS Pilani, India. I have strong
coding skills and proficient in Matlab and C++.
I am looking forward to take part in GSOC 2017, and I'm interested to work
on idea- *improve logm, sqrtm, funm*
I have been looking into the code base and found that it is well structured
that help me a lot in becoming comfortable with the code base.
I will start contributing to GNU-Octave soon, but it will be excellent if
anyone can point out some issue just for start. Some pointers will be
really helpful to start working on this module.
Lastly I apologize if I have been rude in any manner.
A little while ago one of our Italian contributors/developers provided a link to code that apparently has been worked on silently and looked already in a very usable state.  A.o., AFAIR there was already a fairly complete funm implementation.

I can't find the message now, but just search this maintainers ML as I think it was mentioned here.

Philip

Re: GSOC 2017 Idea Improve logm, sqrtm, funm

Marco Caliari-4
On Thu, 9 Mar 2017, PhilipNienhuis wrote:

> Valliappan C A wrote
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> As I introduced my self earlier, I'm a final year student majoring
>> Electronincs & Instrumentation from BITS Pilani, India. I have strong
>> coding skills and proficient in Matlab and C++.
>> I am looking forward to take part in GSOC 2017, and I'm interested to work
>> on idea- *improve logm, sqrtm, funm*
>> I have been looking into the code base and found that it is well
>> structured
>> that help me a lot in becoming comfortable with the code base.
>> I will start contributing to GNU-Octave soon, but it will be excellent if
>> anyone can point out some issue just for start. Some pointers will be
>> really helpful to start working on this module.
>> Lastly I apologize if I have been rude in any manner.
>
> A little while ago one of our Italian contributors/developers provided a
> link to code that apparently has been worked on silently and looked already
> in a very usable state.  A.o., AFAIR there was already a fairly complete
> funm implementation.
>
> I can't find the message now, but just search this maintainers ML as I think
> it was mentioned here.
>
> Philip

I worked on that together with Mudit Sharma

https://github.com/RickOne16/matrix

Marco

Re: GSOC 2017 Idea Improve logm, sqrtm, funm

Mudit Sharma
Hi All,

These are some details relating to the project :

A) The implementation of matrix functions provided in [1] definitely works fine but needs some parts to be
implemented in C++, the student will need to use a profiler[2] to identify the slow areas in the m file scripts.

B) Also Higham also has some other important matrix functions which are missing in Octave, so next task can
be to implement them based on the same idea of utilizing C++ for slow code.
[2] : https://sourceware.org/binutils/docs/gprof/

Thanks!
Mudit

Re: GSOC 2017 Idea Improve logm, sqrtm, funm

Mudit Sharma
> Hello Mudit,
 Hi Valliappan,

As I introduced my self earlier, I'm a final year student majoring Electronics & Instrumentation from BITS Pilani, India. I have strong coding skills and proficient in Matlab and C++.
I am looking forward to take part in GSOC 2017, and I'm interested to work on idea- improve logm, sqrtm, funm.
I have been looking into the code base. Can you help me with some reference material.

Here's a link to Prof Higham's work on matrix functions : http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~higham/papers/matrix-functions.php

I will start contributing to GNU-Octave soon, but it will be excellent if anyone can point out some issue just for start. Some pointers will be really helpful to start working on this module.
Lastly I apologize if I have been rude in any manner.

As a 'programming task' you can proceed with a small matrix function which is either missing or can be an improvement to the existing one in Octave.

Thanks!
Mudit

Re: GSOC 2017 Idea Improve logm, sqrtm, funm

Michael Godfrey
> Hello Mudit,
 Hi Valliappan,

As I introduced my self earlier, I'm a final year student majoring Electronics & Instrumentation from BITS Pilani, India. I have strong coding skills and proficient in Matlab and C++.
I am looking forward to take part in GSOC 2017, and I'm interested to work on idea- improve logm, sqrtm, funm.
I have been looking into the code base. Can you help me with some reference material.

Here's a link to Prof Higham's work on matrix functions : http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~higham/papers/matrix-functions.php

I will start contributing to GNU-Octave soon, but it will be excellent if anyone can point out some issue just for start. Some pointers will be really helpful to start working on this module.
Lastly I apologize if I have been rude in any manner.

As a 'programming task' you can proceed with a small matrix function which is either missing or can be an improvement to the existing one in Octave.
--
Valliappan.C.A
BITS PILANI K K BIRLA GOA CAMPUS
Contact: +91-8378988093

Thanks!
Mudit

The matrix functions do need work, but the elementary functions that you mentioned might usefully be
done first. They are quite straightforward and the C++ library is suitable so only the interface code is
needed. The code for atanh can be used as an example.

Michael