GSOC 2017 Idea Using Python within Octave

GSOC 2017 Idea Using Python within Octave

KOUSTAV DAS
Hello Everyone

I am Koustav Das a Computer Science Student at Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar. During my last two years I have worked on both Octave and Python.
I am looking forward to take part in GSOC 2017 and I'm interested to work on the idea - Using Python in Octave.
But I have got some doubts regarding this Pytave project. I guess the Pytave allows us to use Octave functions within Python.
So what is the main aim of the project ?
Is it to have some library so that we can use Python within Octave.
Or
Is it to integrate Pytave seamlessly so that we can use Octave within Python better.

Thanks
Yours Faithfully
KOUSTAV DAS

Sent with Mailtrack

Re: GSOC 2017 Idea Using Python within Octave

NVS Abhilash
KOUSTAV DAS wrote
But I have got some doubts regarding this Pytave project. I guess the
Pytave allows us to use Octave functions within Python.
So what is the main aim of the project ?
Is it to have some library so that we can use Python within Octave.
Or
Is it to integrate Pytave seamlessly so that we can use Octave within
Python better.
Hey Koustav,

Pytave is a project which helps us in achieving both side conversion. i.e.

1. Running Python code in Octave
2. Running Octave code in Python.

I think running Python from Octave is not well documented in Pytave's README.

I think Mike can help you explain more about the aim of the project.

Thanks,
NVS

NVS Abhilash

Re: GSOC 2017 Idea Using Python within Octave

Abhinav Tripathi

On Mar 12, 2017 3:21 AM, "KOUSTAV DAS" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Everyone
>
> I am Koustav Das a Computer Science Student at Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar. During my last two years I have worked on both Octave and Python.
> I am looking forward to take part in GSOC 2017 and I'm interested to work on the idea - Using Python in Octave.
> But I have got some doubts regarding this Pytave project. I guess the Pytave allows us to use Octave functions within Python.
> So what is the main aim of the project ?
> Is it to have some library so that we can use Python within Octave.
> Or
> Is it to integrate Pytave seamlessly so that we can use Octave within Python better.
>
> Thanks
> Yours Faithfully
> KOUSTAV DAS
>

>   Sent with Mailtrack

Hi,
Pytave was originally meant to do both. But now the development is only focussed on using python from octave.
The project is focused on improving the library to allow better communication between python and octave.
Currently it has boost.python dependency which is also to be removed by python c api calls..
.
Regards,
Abhinav

Re: GSOC 2017 Idea Using Python within Octave

KOUSTAV DAS
Hi everyone

Okay you see I have an idea of implementing this. Lets not do this using libraries.

So what is the technique that I propose:

We all know that in a .php file we can write html and php code. They are just differentiated on the basis of tags. I propose to do just the same thing for python and octave. Let us integrate the compilers of python and Octave. As soon as the lexical analyzer notices the opening tag of the octave code the parser and the semantic analyzer of octave handles the section. And as soon as the lexical analyzer encounters the opening tag of the python the parser and semantic analyzer of python is called.

I guess you guess are understanding what I exactly propose to do. I can do this job but then I will need the codebase of python and octave parsers to understand and execute this task.

Please drop in some suggestions.

Sent with Mailtrack

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 2:29 PM, KOUSTAV DAS <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone

Okay you see I have an idea of implementing this. Lets not do this using libraries.

So what is the technique that I propose:

We all know that in a .php file we can write html and php code. They are just differentiated on the basis of tags. I propose to do just the same thing for python and octave. Let us integrate the compilers of python and Octave. As soon as the lexical analyzer notices the opening tag of the octave code the parser and the semantic analyzer of octave handles the section. And as soon as the lexical analyzer encounters the opening tag of the python the parser and semantic analyzer of python is called.

I guess you guess are understanding what I exactly propose to do. I can do this job but then I will need the codebase of python and octave parsers to understand and execute this task.

Hi, the idea is NOT to make python and octave code work together in some environment. It is to allow octave users to call python code from octave code. As octave is already widely used, people who need to call some python should be facilitated instead of making up a completely new architecture... Symbolic package is a prime candidate for using pytave for calling python from within octave. We would definitely not shift to a new architecture specially since symbolic is an octave package.

Please drop in some suggestions.

If you still want to go on with your idea, you will have to search for a mentor who is interested in your idea...
Or clone pytave repo, try to use it in octave and see its current functionality then come up with something to improve pytave.

Regards,
Abhinav

Sent with Mailtrack

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 1:02 PM, Abhinav Tripathi <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mar 12, 2017 3:21 AM, "KOUSTAV DAS" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Everyone
>
> I am Koustav Das a Computer Science Student at Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar. During my last two years I have worked on both Octave and Python.
> I am looking forward to take part in GSOC 2017 and I'm interested to work on the idea - Using Python in Octave.
> But I have got some doubts regarding this Pytave project. I guess the Pytave allows us to use Octave functions within Python.
> So what is the main aim of the project ?
> Is it to have some library so that we can use Python within Octave.
> Or
> Is it to integrate Pytave seamlessly so that we can use Octave within Python better.
>
> Thanks
> Yours Faithfully
> KOUSTAV DAS
>

>   Sent with Mailtrack

Hi,
Pytave was originally meant to do both. But now the development is only focussed on using python from octave.
The project is focused on improving the library to allow better communication between python and octave.
Currently it has boost.python dependency which is also to be removed by python c api calls..
.
Regards,
Abhinav

Re: GSOC 2017 Idea Using Python within Octave

Colin Macdonald-2
On 12/03/17 06:02 AM, Abhinav Tripathi wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 2:29 PM, KOUSTAV DAS <[hidden email]
>     We all know that in a .php file we can write html and php code. They
>     are just differentiated on the basis of tags. I propose to do just
>     the same thing for python and octave. Let us integrate the compilers
>     of python and Octave. As soon as the lexical analyzer notices the
>     opening tag of the octave code the parser and the semantic analyzer
>     of octave handles the section. And as soon as the lexical analyzer
>     encounters the opening tag of the python the parser and semantic
>     analyzer of python is called.
 >
 > ---- 8< ----
 >
> If you still want to go on with your idea, you will have to search for a
> mentor who is interested in your idea...
> Or clone pytave repo, try to use it in octave and see its current
> functionality then come up with something to improve pytave.

Yes, +1.  This is well-said.  Thanks Abhinav and NVS for your comments
on this thread.

I personally doubt there is much interest from current developers for
building a brand new tool; I think most of us would rather improve
existing tools (Pytave in this case).

Supporting calling both Python and Octave code within the same document
might be do-able within Jupyter (apparently alreayd possible to mix R
and Python within one notebook).  But I don't see that as a very high
priority for the Octave project.  More important would be simply
improving the Octave Kernel for Jupyter.

Colin

Re: GSOC 2017 Idea Using Python within Octave

KOUSTAV DAS
Thanks a lot the last few emails on this thread has been extremely enlightening.  It is perfectly fine for me to work in the existing architecture.

Having said that it means I will have to work in improving the user experience for using python in octave. So what do you suggest? What are all things that I must look into for this project.

Thanks in advance
Yours Faithfully
Koustav Das