GSoC 2014, introducing myself.

Georgios Ouzounis

Hello everyone.

        My name is Georgios Ouzounis and I am a fourth year undergraduate in the
School of Electrical and Computer Engineering in Aristotle's University of Thessaloniki, Greece.
I am interested in applying to GSoC 2014 for one of the three GNU Octave projects listed below.

1) Rewrite Symbolic Package.
2) Improve MPI package.
3) Interface to Electronic Circuit Simulator.

        Due to my field of study I have a broad knowledge of mathematics and I am pretty comfortable with the
concepts involved with the symbolic package. I would really love to contribute to it's development. It's actually
something that I had in mind for a long time but hesitated to get involved.

        I have been using C and C++ for a long time and I am comfortable with these languages. I have also been
using Matlab and Octave extensively the last two years so I am familiar with their scripting language too. Regarding
programing I also know how to use gdb, write bash scripts. In terms of parallel computing I have good knowledge on
CUDA, MPI, PTHREADS.

        I would appreciate it if you could give me some information on what is already made and what needs to be done
acording to the above projects. For example, does the symbolic package has to be written from scratch? Are there any
goals to be achieved during the GSoC or it's the more code the better?

Thank you for your time,

        Ouzounis Georgios.

Re: GSoC 2014, introducing myself.

Richard Crozier

On 25/02/14 23:14, Ouzounis_Georgios wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> My name is Georgios Ouzounis and I am a fourth year undergraduate in the
> School of Electrical and Computer Engineering in Aristotle's University of
> Thessaloniki, Greece.
> I am interested in applying to GSoC 2014 for one of the three GNU Octave
> projects listed below.
>
> 1) Rewrite Symbolic Package.
> 2) Improve MPI package.
> 3) Interface to Electronic Circuit Simulator.

Hi Ouzounis,

Welcome to the list!

Regarding the circuit solver interface project, I have just updated the
description of what can be done on this (it was out of date), so you may
want to take another look. I actually thought I'd updated this some time
ago, but something has clearly been missed, probably a button click.

Regarding the status of the interface, it is quite well developed. Qucs
itself is installed as a shared library. There is an existing API to
this which works reasonably well and can be adapted/extended to
accommodate the new features. There examples of using the existing
interface in the the development sources for Qucs here:

http://sourceforge.net/p/qucs/git/ci/master/tree/examples/external_interface/

Those responsible for the other projects you're interested in will be in
touch soon I'm sure. I can provide more information if you want to know
more.

Regards,
Richard Crozier

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: GSoC 2014, introducing myself.

fgnievinski
[...]

Dear Georgios,

Great to hear from you. It's always good to have new contributors.

Please read carefully this section:
<http://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_Project_Ideas#Steps_Toward_a_Successful_Application>
to find out what is expected from GSoC applicants.

It's good that you already have extensive experience with both C/C++ and the Octave/Matlab scripting language.

Based on your interest in symbolic calculations, I'm pointing you to this page:
<http://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_Project_Ideas#Rewrite_symbolic_package>
Please let us know if you need more detailed info.

It's recommended you try one of the very short projects available at:
<http://wiki.octave.org/Short_projects>

Please don't hesitate to ask for help here or on IRC:
<http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=octave>

Best regards,
-Felipe.

Re: GSoC 2014, introducing myself.

Pascal Dupuis-3

> On 25/02/14 23:14, Ouzounis_Georgios wrote:
>>

>> Hello everyone.
>>
>>         My name is Georgios Ouzounis and I am a fourth year undergraduate
>> in the
>> School of Electrical and Computer Engineering in Aristotle's University of
>> Thessaloniki, Greece.
>> I am interested in applying to GSoC 2014 for one of the three GNU Octave
>> projects listed below.
>>
>> 1) Rewrite Symbolic Package.
>> 2) Improve MPI package.
>> 3) Interface to Electronic Circuit Simulator.
>>

> Hi Ouzounis,
>
> Welcome to the list!
>
> Regarding the circuit solver interface project, I have just updated the
> description of what can be done on this (it was out of date), so you may
> want to take another look. I actually thought I'd updated this some time
> ago, but something has clearly been missed, probably a button click.
>
> Regarding the status of the interface, it is quite well developed. Qucs
> itself is installed as a shared library. There is an existing API to this
> which works reasonably well and can be adapted/extended to accommodate the
> new features. There examples of using the existing interface in the the
> development sources for Qucs here:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/p/qucs/git/ci/master/tree/examples/external_interface/
>
> Those responsible for the other projects you're interested in will be in
> touch soon I'm sure. I can provide more information if you want to know
> more.
>
> Regards,
> Richard Crozier

Re: GSoC 2014, introducing myself.

Pascal Dupuis-3
> On 25/02/14 23:14, Ouzounis_Georgios wrote:
>>

>> Hello everyone.
>>
>>         My name is Georgios Ouzounis and I am a fourth year undergraduate
>> in the
>> School of Electrical and Computer Engineering in Aristotle's University of
>> Thessaloniki, Greece.
>> I am interested in applying to GSoC 2014 for one of the three GNU Octave
>> projects listed below.
>>
>> 1) Rewrite Symbolic Package.
>> 2) Improve MPI package.
>> 3) Interface to Electronic Circuit Simulator.

Hello Gergios,

I enrolled as a mentor, and I would like to comment a bit on your choices:
1) the symbolic packages contain a sub-part called "vpa" which belongs
there as MatLab use the same grouping. "VPA" stands for "Variable
Precision Arithmetic", i.e. numbers whose you fix yourself the number
of digits. If you want to test some algorithm computing 1e6 decimals
of the constant PI, this is the place to go.
I would like to transform this into something more genuine; I started
working on a new class called "multi-precision". The underlying engine
is GNU MPFR; the class is merely a glue layer on top of it. For now,
basic operations as well as mathematical functions on real scalar are
working. Further work include array support and complex numbers.
3) There already exist routines to read SPICE generated files. What do
you envision in your intertace ?

Once again, thank you in joining in.

Regards

Pascal

On 27/02/2014 08:27, Pascal Dupuis wrote:
>> On 25/02/14 23:14, Ouzounis_Georgios wrote:

> working. Further work include array support and complex numbers.
> 3) There already exist routines to read SPICE generated files. What do
> you envision in your intertace ?
>
> Once again, thank you in joining in.
>
> Regards
>
> Pascal

Regarding 3) it is not merely a post-processor like you describe. It is
an interface to Qucs that allows changing circuit parameters and
extracting information from a circuit dynamically during simulation, see
the description of the project for more information:

http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Interface_to_Electronic_Circuit_Simulator

Also, Qucs supports some features not present in SPICE, e.g. verilog-A
compiled components, is GPL, and has a nice schematic capture GUI is you
like that kind of thing.

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: GSoC 2014, introducing myself.

Georgios Ouzounis
Hi again,

        thank you for taking the time to answer to my questions. Regarding the "Rewrite Symbolic Package" project I installed GNU MPFR on my PC and I went through it's documentation. I found it very understandable and I think I won't have any problem using it if I have to.

        I am pretty interested in the development of the symbolic package because I think it's one of the most
important and useful packages on a program such as GNU Octave. Since I haven't got any experience on
writing code for open source applications, I would really like (if possible) to see some part of the code you have
already written for the symbolic package in order to get an idea of how things are done.

       As far as the "Interface to Electronic Circuit Simulator" project is concerned I am currently doing my studying on it
and I will come back with some questions or/and proposals soon.

Re: GSoC 2014, introducing myself.

CdeMills
Ouzounis_Georgios wrote
Hi again,

        thank you for taking the time to answer to my questions. Regarding the "Rewrite Symbolic Package" project I installed GNU MPFR on my PC and I went through it's documentation. I found it very understandable and I think I won't have any problem using it if I have to.

        I am pretty interested in the development of the symbolic package because I think it's one of the most
important and useful packages on a program such as GNU Octave. Since I haven't got any experience on
writing code for open source applications, I would really like (if possible) to see some part of the code you have
already written for the symbolic package in order to get an idea of how things are done.
The "symbolic" package is currently hosted at sourceforge, as well as the multi-precision one. If you are under WIndows, install TortoiseHG , then clone the following repository: http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/symbolic
If you use some command-line interface, try hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/symbolic symbolic

This is the original code; this package contains also something similar to MatLAB vpa.

I started writing some glue code to GNU MPFR, I put that in some other package, the link is http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/multi-resolution. Once you have extracted this repository, go down into the "source" subdir.

Regards

Pascal

Re: GSoC 2014, introducing myself.

Georgios Ouzounis
I have filled out the public application template for the GSoC. I would appreciate any feedback on it. Regarding the
tasks I have chosen to apply for, I have some questions written on the "Your task" segment of my application. Any
replies and suggestions are welcome. The link to my application template is

http://wiki.octave.org/User:Gouzouni

.