GSoC 2016 Project not merged into Octave yet

GSoC 2016 Project not merged into Octave yet

AMR_KELEG

Dear Octave Maintainers,

My name is Amr. I participated in GSoC 2016 with GNU Octave. My project was "Implement boolean operations on polygons".
Unfortunately, The code wasn't merged into the Geometry Package.
I am motivated to collaborate with the package's maintainer so that we can refactor the code and merge it into the package.

The Project's repo: https://bitbucket.org/amr_keleg/octave-geometry
My profile on Octave's wiki: http://wiki.octave.org/User:AMR_KELEG

Best Regards,
Amr

Re: GSoC 2016 Project not merged into Octave yet

PhilipNienhuis
Dear Amr.

AMR_KELEG wrote

> Dear Octave Maintainers,
>
> My name is Amr. I participated in GSoC 2016 with GNU Octave. My project
> was "Implement boolean operations on polygons".
> Unfortunately, The code wasn't merged into the Geometry Package.
> I am motivated to collaborate with the package's maintainer so that we can
> refactor the code and merge it into the package.
>
> The Project's repo: https://bitbucket.org/amr_keleg/octave-geometry
> My profile on Octave's wiki: http://wiki.octave.org/User:AMR_KELEG

First of all I think you did a good job, again thank you very much for that.

There was quite a bit of discussion afterwards, large parts of which are in
patch #9000 (https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?9000), see e.g., comment #20),
and in the maintainers ML
(http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/GSoC-2017-Implement-boolean-operations-on-polygons-td4682161.html,
see posts starting from March 17, 2017).
Boost 1.60 on which your code was based didn't have features we needed but
Boost-1.6.1 couldn't be used with your code; IIRC in the mailing list
discussions John Swensen explained that later Boost versions showed to be
less stable than hoped for.

That said, your code did work and I used it for some time.

As to several m-file functions, right at the moment I'm busy merging some of
them with results of a later student project and with stuff I wrote myself,
some much earlier.

For the rest I 'll leave it to the geometry package maintainer to comment.

Philip

Re: GSoC 2016 Project not merged into Octave yet

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
Dear Amr,

As Philip said you did a good job!
We are currently trying to pot as much as we can form your code in to
geometry, but we do not want to add Boost as a complete dependency. If
you could clean up that, the it is more likely we can add it to
geometry. It is beyond my available time to do this myself.

Also remember, you can always have a separate package (e.g.
external[1]) you maintain yourself which depends on geometry. In your
case the package will contain only th boost dependent files and the
configuration and compilation commands. Here is a potential
description file

Name: polybool_boost
Version: 1.0.0
Date: 01-01-2018
Author: Amr Mohamed <[hidden email]>
Maintainer: Amr Mohamed <[hidden email]>
Title: Boolean operations on polygons using Boost
library, comptible with the geometry package and MatGeom.
Depends: octave (>= 4.2.0), geometry (>= 3.0.0)
Autoload: no
License: GPLv3+, FreeBSD, Boost v1.0

[1]: https://octave.sourceforge.io/developers.php