GSoC 2017 - pdepe/bvp4c solvers

vlefkopo
Hello,
I am Vasilis Lefkopoulos, and I'm interested in contributing to a project as part of GSoC 2017.

I've studied the list of suggested projects [1] for GSoc 2017. I've also read the more general list of projects for Octave [2]. Specifically, I would be interested working on the "solver for initial-boundary value problems for parabolic-elliptic PDEs in 1D" [3] or/and the "solver for 1D nonlinear boundary value problems" [4].

I would like to know:
1. What is the current status of these projects? I know that they're not as of yet implemented into Octave, and I also saw that they were implemented in the past but were taken down due to copyright issues with Matlab.
2. Are these projects suitable for my GSoC application (and potential 3-month full-time work)? If yes, is there a relevant mentor that could support me?
3. Is there any relevant short project that I can work on, to familiarize myself with these topics and also prove that I'm capable of committing to them? I've contributed to Octave Forge before, so I am familiar with the way contributions are made.

Thanks,
Vasilis

[1]: http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Suggested_projects
[2]: http://wiki.octave.org/Projects
[3]: http://wiki.octave.org/Projects#Implement_solver_for_initial-boundary_value_problems_for_parabolic-elliptic_PDEs_in_1D
[4]: http://wiki.octave.org/Projects#Implement_solver_for_1D_nonlinear_boundary_value_problems

Re: GSoC 2017 - pdepe/bvp4c solvers

Sebastian Schöps
vlefkopo wrote
[...]

Dear Vasilis,

1. I am aware of several programmers who asked about these projects on the mailing list but to my knowledge nothing has been finished. The last one was laserluke. The thread can be found in the mailing list archive with subject "Working on bvp4c". Does anyone knows what happened to this attempt?

2. Depends who is relevant for you :) I guess there are many developers interested in that including Carlo, Nick, Bill and myself.

3. you could start by compiling https://github.com/wgreene310/bvp1d and investigate whether this is a viable path. I would personally favour a m-file implementation but we already have a dependency on Sundials.

Kind regards,
Sebastian

Re: GSoC 2017 - pdepe/bvp4c solvers

Bill Greene-3
I started writing the function I call bvp1d
(https://github.com/wgreene310/bvp1d)
to become familiar with the algorithm in the standard bvp4c paper and then
just kept adding to it. I believe it is a relatively complete implementation
of what is in the paper. I subsequently became aware that the bvp4c
implementation in MATLAB also supports a capability they call
"multipoint boundary value problems." The user interface to this functionality
seems very awkward and error prone to me; I had/have no interest in implementing
it. Even more fundamentally, I began to question the whole value of the
nodal collocation approach in bvp4c compared with a different approach based on
the weak form of the BVP, like FEM.

My real interest is in 1D pde solvers like pdepe and I have an implementation
that I call pde1d (https://github.com/wgreene310/pde1d). It uses a
linear approximation function compared with the higher-order approximation
in pdepe. But, beyond that, I think it is mostly compatible with pdepe.
I had intended to make the capability available through Octave forge but
the difficulty of configuring C++ packages there discouraged me. The
inclusion of Sundials/IDA in core Octave might make this easier but I have
not revisited the issue.