Quantcast

GSoC2017: Special Functions

Michele Ginesi
Dear all,

At first, I would like to thank you all for the opportunity you gave me
to contribute on such an important and interesting topic.

Second, I would like to inform you that I talked with my mentor and we
started thinking about how to proceed.

At the link [1] you can find my blog (which is for now empty), while at
[2] you can find my bitbucket repository.

Now I would like to ask you a question on how to organize my repository:
since my work will consist in different patches (one for function), I
think that the better way to proceed is to create a new bookmark for
each function, but maybe you think it would be better if I use a single
bookmark which will contain all my work. Please let me know what you think.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Michele Ginesi

[1] http://gsocspecfun.blogspot.it/

[2] https://bitbucket.org/M_Ginesi/octave

Re: GSoC2017: Special Functions

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Michele <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> At first, I would like to thank you all for the opportunity you gave me to
> contribute on such an important and interesting topic.
>
> Second, I would like to inform you that I talked with my mentor and we
> started thinking about how to proceed.
>
> At the link [1] you can find my blog (which is for now empty), while at [2]
> you can find my bitbucket repository.
>
> Now I would like to ask you a question on how to organize my repository:
> since my work will consist in different patches (one for function), I think
> that the better way to proceed is to create a new bookmark for each
> function, but maybe you think it would be better if I use a single bookmark
> which will contain all my work. Please let me know what you think.
>
> Thank you for your kind attention.
>
> Michele Ginesi
>

> [1] http://gsocspecfun.blogspot.it/
>
> [2] https://bitbucket.org/M_Ginesi/octave

Hi Michele,

Congratulations and welcome!

I think the best is that you have all your changes in one bookmark,
this way you can also see how they integrate. It is really easy to get
the log of a single function file: hg log <function_file_name>
Make sure you fork the original repository and change it, this way to
get the latest version we just clone your work (i.e. do not do a
repository with changesets only).

Enjoy!

Re: GSoC2017: Special Functions

Carnë Draug
On 8 May 2017 at 15:00, Michele <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> At the link [1] you can find my blog (which is for now empty), while at [2]
> you can find my bitbucket repository.

I have added your blog to planet octave [3].

> Now I would like to ask you a question on how to organize my repository:
> since my work will consist in different patches (one for function), I think
> that the better way to proceed is to create a new bookmark for each
> function, but maybe you think it would be better if I use a single bookmark
> which will contain all my work. Please let me know what you think.

If your project consists of multiple independent sub-projects, then
each should have its own development head, and each should have its
own bookmark.  This allows you and others to selectively test and
merge them, independent of the rest of the work.  Your proposed
approach sounds good.

Do beware about working on multiple projects at the same time.  It's
probably better to do one function at a time, and merged into core,
before moving on to the next.  The revision and merging into core will
be faster if it's done periodically and in small chunks, maybe by
different people, than if a core maintainer needs to review it all in
the end.

Carnë

[3] http://planet.octave.org/