Getting Started with Ocatve on Windows 7

Getting Started with Ocatve on Windows 7

Reitz, Lina AVL/AT

Hello,

I just installed Octave but it doesn’t work as it should. As I’m not familiar with Octave I need some help. Up to now I used only Matlab.

I’m working on Windows 7 with an i7 processor.

I installed Octave Version 3.6.2 using an installer from sourceforge.net (see https://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20Windows%20binaries/Octave%203.6.2%20for%20Windows%20Microsoft%20Visual%20Studio/octave-3.6.2-vs2010-setup.exe/download).

I came to this link via a short installation guide, saying this package contains many packages as well as the GUI (Octave 3.6.2 (Graphical User-Interface)). I followed this guide I found and during the installation I had to enter my processor type and I chose all Octave forge packages for installation.

(Installation guide in german: http://praxistipps.chip.de/octave-unter-windows-installieren-so-gehts_35666)

The installation itself did work well as far as I can see. Both Octave and the GUI were installed.

When I open the Octave window (not the GUI) I can enter commands and it seems to work (though I didn’t try much).

But I can’t use the GUI. I wrote a tiny test-program, but I cannot run it.

Code:

a = 2;

b = 5;

c = a+b

I get the error message: pattern not found.

I’ll send a screenshot, so you can see what my GUI-window looks like.

I think I also can’t set the file directory correctly. At the top line, the current directory is not shown at all, although when I click on the Browse-Icon it shows the correct folder.

In the tab that shows the current directory I also had to set the file path by hand.

Also the buttons in the top bar don’t have the icons they should have (I mean the buttons for New File, Cut, Undo etc.). Maybe this is also part of the problem.

Can I do something to fix this? Or is it wiser to use another Octave/Octave GUI version on windows 7?

Best regards

Lina

ScreenshotError.JPG (186K) Download Attachment

Re: Getting Started with Ocatve on Windows 7

NJank
3.6.2 is quite an out of date version. the current version is 4.2.0.
You can navigate to the latest version for 32 or 64 bit systems by
following the Download links for windows at the main Octave web page:
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/

I'd recommend uninstalling your version and downloading the current
installer. (recommend the .exe installer unless you have reason to
want a .zip installer)

Then let us know how things are going.

Nick J.

Re: Getting Started with Ocatve on Windows 7

tmacchant
--- Lina.Reitz wrote:
> Hello,  I just installed Octave but it doesn’t work as it should. As I’m not familiar with Octave I need some help. Up to now I used only Matlab.  I’m working on Windows 7 with an i7 processor.I installed Octave Version 3.6.2 using an installer from sourceforge.net (seehttps://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20Windows%20binaries/Octave%203.6.2%20for%20Windows%20Microsoft%20Visual%20Studio/octave-3.6.2-vs2010-setup.exe/download).I came to this link via a short installation guide, saying this package contains many packages as well as the GUI (Octave 3.6.2 (Graphical User-Interface)). I followed this guideI found and during the installation I had to enter my processor type and I chose all Octave forge packages for installation.(Installation guide in german:http://praxistipps.chip.de/octave-unter-windows-installieren-so-gehts_35666)The installation itself did work well as far as I can see. Both Octave and the GUI were installed.When I
 open the Octave window (not the GUI) I can enter commands and it seems to work (though I didn’t try much).But I can’t use the GUI. I wrote a tiny test-program, but I cannot run it.Code:a = 2;b = 5;c = a+b  I get the error message: pattern not found.I’ll send a screenshot, so you can see what my GUI-window looks like.I think I also can’t set the file directory correctly. At the top line, the current directory is not shown at all, although when I click on the Browse-Icon it shows the correctfolder.In the tab that shows the current directory I also had to set the file path by hand.  Also the buttons in the top bar don’t have the icons they should have (I mean the buttons for New File, Cut, Undo etc.). Maybe this is also part of the problem.  Can I do something to fix this? Or is it wiser to use another Octave/Octave GUI version on windows 7?  Best regardsLina

The latest version of GNU octave is 4.2.0.
You can download it from

https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/windows/

Tatsuro