GoSim - simulink variant that uses Octave as math engine

GoSim - simulink variant that uses Octave as math engine

GoSim GoSim
Hello, I will not write my name as I want to be anonymous and I read that you back up all mails.

I have written a program that I call GoSim that is a simple simulink variant that uses Octave as mathematical engine. The basics is done but I need to fix the library...in short, not completely done but it works. It definately needs more blocks....

My goal is to make it part of Octave but of course you have to approve, as a plugin is enough for me.

I am asking you to try the program, just unzip and run the jar without changing the catalogue structure. There is a file pid.gsm that have a model containing two controllers which can have the desired value changed in real time with the "real time constant block". It's intuitive.
It only works on Linux, the GUI should work on Windows but simulation can't be done because the command is different for Linux and Windows and I don't have access to Windows.

GoSim requiers that Octave is installed and has to be permitted to run it. GoSim creates a m-script which is run by Octave.
The version attached is for 64 bit systems.

If it is acceptable standards I would like to first write that I am just a hobby programmer with other projects in other fields with no experience of open source projects.
-How do I make it part of Octave?
-Do you accept that it is closed source in the beginning? (I would like to do some more things before making it open source)

If it is not good enough, I am sorry I wasted your time, that is not my intention.

I wish you a good day. Kind regards from GoSim guy.

GoSim.tar.gz (2M) Download Attachment

Re: GoSim - simulink variant that uses Octave as math engine

Andreas Weber-6
Am 22.10.18 um 20:28 schrieb GoSim GoSim:

> Hello, I will not write my name as I want to be anonymous and I read
> that you back up all mails.
> I have written a program that I call GoSim that is a simple simulink
> variant that uses Octave as mathematical engine. The basics is done but
> I need to fix the library...in short, not completely done but it works.
> It definately needs more blocks....
> My goal is to make it part of Octave but of course you have to approve,
> as a plugin is enough for me.
> I am asking you to try the program, just unzip and run the jar without
> changing the catalogue structure. There is a file pid.gsm that have a
> model containing two controllers which can have the desired value
> changed in real time with the "real time constant block". It's intuitive.

You can't expect that we (or at least me) run binary files from an
anonymous source. Please upload your code to a public repo and provide a
link.

I had a quick look at the .m files in your archive and most of them look
like smoke-balls, for example

function [a]=Subtract(i,h,stop,count,sn,in1, in2)
a=in1-in2;

or

function [param_out, out1]=Derivative(param_in,i,h,stop,count,sn, in1)

if (count==1) %för att undvika spik i första samplen
   out1=0;
   param_out=in1;
else
   out1=(in1-param_in)/h;
   param_out=in1;
end

Oh and SplitVector.m can be done much easier.

At this point I've quit reading and my personal impression is that
someone tries to install a trojan horse on my computer. Please apologize
if this is not the case.

-- Andy

Re: GoSim - simulink variant that uses Octave as math engine

Richard Crozier

On 23/10/18 07:37, Andreas Weber wrote:

> Am 22.10.18 um 20:28 schrieb GoSim GoSim:
>> Hello, I will not write my name as I want to be anonymous and I read
>> that you back up all mails.
>> I have written a program that I call GoSim that is a simple simulink
>> variant that uses Octave as mathematical engine. The basics is done
>> but I need to fix the library...in short, not completely done but it
>> works. It definately needs more blocks....
>> My goal is to make it part of Octave but of course you have to
>> approve, as a plugin is enough for me.
>> I am asking you to try the program, just unzip and run the jar without
>> changing the catalogue structure. There is a file pid.gsm that have a
>> model containing two controllers which can have the desired value
>> changed in real time with the "real time constant block". It's intuitive.
>
> You can't expect that we (or at least me) run binary files from an
> anonymous source. Please upload your code to a public repo and provide a
> link.
>
> I had a quick look at the .m files in your archive and most of them look
> like smoke-balls, for example
>
> function [a]=Subtract(i,h,stop,count,sn,in1, in2)
> a=in1-in2;
>
> or
>
> function [param_out, out1]=Derivative(param_in,i,h,stop,count,sn, in1)
>
> if (count==1) %för att undvika spik i första samplen
>    out1=0;
>    param_out=in1;
> else
>    out1=(in1-param_in)/h;
>    param_out=in1;
> end
>
> Oh and SplitVector.m can be done much easier.
>
> At this point I've quit reading and my personal impression is that
> someone tries to install a trojan horse on my computer. Please apologize
> if this is not the case.
>
> -- Andy

I think this is harsh, I doubt this is a virus or malware. It could be a
very useful project!

Actually these functions look exactly like the kind of thing one
requires in a simulink-like environment, being functions that perform
basic block tasks like subtraction and derivative calculation but with a
standard interface that accepts global simulation parameters.

It will be a lot easier though for people to try it out if the code is
open source. This is because it will *never* be accepted into Octave if
it is not open source, and I personally would not want to invest time in
it while it's closed source in case you later decided never to open
source it. Some screenshots would be helpful though.

Regards,

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: GoSim - simulink variant that uses Octave as math engine

roland65
Hi,

I tried to run GoSim in my Ubuntu bionic box, with Octave 4.4.1.

I used:

java -jar gosim.jar

I got:

org/eclipse/swt/widgets/Decorations
        at java.base/java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
        at java.base/java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:374)
        at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.jarinjarloader.JarRsrcLoader.main(JarRsrcLoader.java:56)
org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Decorations
        at java.base/java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:466)
        at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:566)
        at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:499)
        ... 3 more

My java version is:
openjdk 10.0.2 2018-07-17
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 10.0.2+13-Ubuntu-1ubuntu0.18.04.2)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 10.0.2+13-Ubuntu-1ubuntu0.18.04.2, mixed
mode)