[Gsoc 2014] Creating a code sharing website for Octave [Replacing Agora]

12

[Gsoc 2014] Creating a code sharing website for Octave [Replacing Agora]

oswalpalash
Agora is a present code sharing website for GNU Octave based on Django using Celeryd.
Unfortunately the bundles and forge portion of the website are presently non functional and would not work without Celeryd.
There is an open source project like Agora for Scipy called Scipy Central. Scipy Central is presently in a better working state than Agora (and it does not work with celeryd), hence I have chosen to modify and upgrade the ScipyCentral system for Octave this summer.

PROJECT : OCTAVE CODE SHARE :: https://github.com/oswalpalash/OctaveCodeShare (temporarily pushed to git )

Things working with Scipy Central:
1) login-email system.
2) snipplet sharing system.
3) zip file sharing system. (the contents of zip are displayed)

What all needs to be done with Scipy Central:
1)Extend the working capability with other archive methods.
2)Input a commenting system.
3)Permission changes in various areas.( make the guest user to see the title and category of submission but not the exact code)
4)Make the user interface Octave like. ( css-html edits)
5)Make profiles more responsive -> add chat like support/profile picture etc.

Kindly suggest me more changes / edits to this post.

Palash Oswal

Re: [Gsoc 2014] Creating a code sharing website for Octave [Replacing Agora]

c.-2

On 9 Mar 2014, at 07:13, oswalpalash <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Agora is a present code sharing website for GNU Octave based on Django using
> Celeryd.
> Unfortunately the bundles and forge portion of the website are presently non
> functional and would not work without Celeryd.
> There is an open source project like Agora for Scipy called Scipy Central.
> Scipy Central is presently in a better working state than Agora (and it does
> not work with celeryd), hence I have chosen to modify and upgrade the
> ScipyCentral system for Octave this summer.
>
> PROJECT : OCTAVE CODE SHARE ::
> https://github.com/oswalpalash/OctaveCodeShare (temporarily pushed to git )

cool! can you put up a demo site somwhere for testing?
c.

Re: [Gsoc 2014] Creating a code sharing website for Octave [Replacing Agora]

oswalpalash
The live instance of this project originally can be seen here.

On 9 Mar 2014, at 09:05, oswalpalash <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The live instance of this project originally can be seen  here
> <http://scipy-central.org>  .

We are all well aware of SciPy central.

But if you want to work on a project about adapting it to working
for Octave, you will need to set up your own modified live instance somewhere.

So let me repeat the question more clearly:
Do you have somewhere where you can set up a live instance of the modified SciPy central code?
Have you ever tried installing it?

c.

P.S. I received an email from your email provider stating:

"I'll be more likely to see your email and future messages if you are on my priority Guest List. Please Fill This Form One Time And Then I Can Read Your Mails."

I don't care whether you receive my email or not, And I have no intention to fill in any form.
If you care about continuing this discussion make sure I don't receive those notifications again

Re: [Gsoc 2014] Creating a code sharing website for Octave [Replacing Agora]

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 7:13 AM, oswalpalash <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Celeryd

What is the problem with that? I am sorry, but I ma not an expert and
I do not see any issue with one toll or another unless you point out
the problem exactly (abandoned? not libre?)

From what I see, scipy-central looks to be quite behind of what we
have in Agora. Instead of scratching what is there, why not upgrading
the modules that are not working properly?

If you want to scratch the work of the previous ocntributors, it is
better you make a strong case for it.

Re: [Gsoc 2014] Creating a code sharing website for Octave [Replacing Agora]

oswalpalash
c.-2 wrote
But if you want to work on a project about adapting it to working
for Octave, you will need to set up your own modified live instance somewhere.
Actually sir I was in a hospital at that time, I have run a local instance on my machine. I personally don't have any django supported hosting with me. However I shall try my best to get it running somewhere.
c.-2 wrote
So let me repeat the question more clearly:
Do you have somewhere where you can set up a live instance of the modified SciPy central code?
Have you ever tried installing it?
Yes I have it running on my laptop. It gets installed successfully. I shall ask Jordi to help me out setting up an instance of it somewhere.
c.-2 wrote

Sorry, it was my email filtering system. I have changed it. It shall not happen again.

Re: [Gsoc 2014] Creating a code sharing website for Octave [Replacing Agora]

oswalpalash
Juan Pablo Carbajal-2 wrote
What is the problem with that? I am sorry, but I ma not an expert and
I do not see any issue with one toll or another unless you point out
the problem exactly (abandoned? not libre?)

From what I see, scipy-central looks to be quite behind of what we
have in Agora. Instead of scratching what is there, why not upgrading
the modules that are not working properly?

If you want to scratch the work of the previous ocntributors, it is
better you make a strong case for it.
Our present system (Agora) has been using Celery for asynchronous tasks, but it fails quite a lot. It can happen for a variety of reasons. Many times linux server doesn't import tasks on celery and hence Agora doesn't process the uploaded bundles.
Agora has been created with Celery Version 3.0.10 which hasa  bug regarding app argument (tried to use the ‘proj.celery’ module as the app) this has been fixed 3.1.4.

Processing bundles in Agora is quite lagging behind compared to Scipy-Central. The later processes the zip bundles quite efficiently. We can extend the capabilities of the system to make it work for tar, tar.gz, tar.bz2.

Our hosting, I don't know why, stops running celery quite often.

However I'd like to clear it out that I am not against Agora project in any way. My initial approach was to finish the agora project. However since we're experiencing problems in Agora which were working in ScipyCentral, it would require less time to be finished and it would give immediate results.

I had discussed this with Jordi and he had asked me to decide on which project to work on. However I can work on Agora as well if the community wants. I am sorry if I offended anyone, it wasn't intended.

On 9 Mar 2014, at 15:10, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From what I see, scipy-central looks to be quite behind of what we
> have in Agora.

I somewhat disagree with this.

scipy-central has fewer features than agora, granted, but scipy-central
has been up and running for years while agora never took off.

so I wouldn't really say scipy-central is "behind" agora.

c.

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 4:57 PM, oswalpalash <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Juan Pablo Carbajal-2 wrote
>> What is the problem with that? I am sorry, but I ma not an expert and
>> I do not see any issue with one toll or another unless you point out
>> the problem exactly (abandoned? not libre?)
>>
>> From what I see, scipy-central looks to be quite behind of what we
>> have in Agora. Instead of scratching what is there, why not upgrading
>> the modules that are not working properly?
>>
>> If you want to scratch the work of the previous ocntributors, it is
>> better you make a strong case for it.
>
> Our present system (Agora) has been using Celery for asynchronous tasks, but
> it fails quite a lot. It can happen for a variety of reasons. Many times
> linux server doesn't import tasks on celery and hence Agora doesn't process
> the uploaded bundles.
> Agora has been created with Celery Version 3.0.10 which hasa  bug regarding
> app argument (tried to use the 'proj.celery' module as the app) this has
> been fixed 3.1.4.
>
> Processing bundles in Agora is quite lagging behind compared to
> Scipy-Central. The later processes the zip bundles quite efficiently. We can
> extend the capabilities of the system to make it work for tar, tar.gz,
> tar.bz2.
>
> Our hosting, I don't know why, stops running celery quite often.
>

> However I'd like to clear it out that I am not against Agora project in any
> way. My initial approach was to finish the agora project. However since
> we're experiencing problems in Agora which were working in ScipyCentral, it
> would require less time to be finished and it would give immediate results.
>
> I had discussed this with Jordi and he had asked me to decide on which
> project to work on. However I can work on Agora as well if the community
> wants. I am sorry if I offended anyone, it wasn't intended.

No offense taken, that was not the point.

Does the option have the following things already in place?
- Code showing and highlighting
- Comments and rating
- Version tracking of code snippets

Also, the visual aspect of scipy central looks. I am not concerned
about this, but it s clear that newer generations people tend to
participate more when things look shiny.

I did not say that. I was referring to features (verb "have"), which
you confirm.

On 9 Mar 2014, at 16:57, oswalpalash <[hidden email]> wrote:

> However I'd like to clear it out that I am not against Agora project in any
> way. My initial approach was to finish the agora project. However since
> we're experiencing problems in Agora which were working in ScipyCentral, it
> would require less time to be finished and it would give immediate results.
>
> I had discussed this with Jordi and he had asked me to decide on which
> project to work on. However I can work on Agora as well if the community
> wants. I am sorry if I offended anyone, it wasn't intended.

I support your idea of trying to adapt Scipy-central to Octave.

If you are going to apply for a GSoC project on this topic, I think
showing you can set up a working live instance of Scipy-central,
and maybe also make a few simple changes to the code,
will make your application stronger.

c.

Re: [Gsoc 2014] Creating a code sharing website for Octave [Replacing Agora]

oswalpalash
Juan Pablo Carbajal-2 wrote
Does the option have the following things already in place?
- Code showing and highlighting
- Comments and rating
- Version tracking of code snippets

Also, the visual aspect of scipy central looks. I am not concerned
about this, but it s clear that newer generations people tend to
participate more when things look shiny.
The following things are already in place :
1)Code showing and highlighting
2)Tagging Sniplets
3)Updating Sniplets/ Version Tracking

What needs to be done more:
1) Comments and Rating
2) Extending capabilites
3) Modifying UI
4) Editing CSS to make it visually more attractive.

On 9 Mar 2014, at 17:15, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 5:13 PM, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> so I wouldn't really say scipy-central is "behind" agora.
>
> I did not say that. I was referring to features (verb "have"), which
> you confirm.

Yes I confirm Agora has more features.
The same way betamax had more features than VHS.
c.

Re: [Gsoc 2014] Creating a code sharing website for Octave [Replacing Agora]

oswalpalash
c.-2 wrote
I support your idea of trying to adapt Scipy-central to Octave.

If you are going to apply for a GSoC project on this topic, I think
showing you can set up a working live instance of Scipy-central,
and maybe also make a few simple changes to the code,
will make your application stronger.

c.
Thanks for your support!
Actually I think Jordi will be able to help me out in setting up the instance part of the project. I have made it available on git for time being. I have been making changes to the code, I shall try my best to help the community! And yes, I shall have this as my gsoc project for this year! Looking forward to it !

PS : One more feature in Scipy Central is to allow users to download the snippet.

c.
Actually I didn't get it. Could you elaborate? Actually what I recall is that VHS won the battle against Sony, right?

On 9 Mar 2014, at 17:29, oswalpalash <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually I didn't get it. Could you elaborate? Actually what I recall is
> that VHS won the battle against Sony, right?

I meant that as an example of the fact that having a better designed product
is useless if nobody is actually using it.

c.

On 9 Mar 2014, at 17:25, oswalpalash <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for your support!
>
> Actually I think Jordi will be able to help me out in setting up the
> instance part of the project. I have made it available on git for time
> being. I have been making changes to the code, I shall try my best to help
> the community! And yes, I shall have this as my gsoc project for this year!
> Looking forward to it !
>
> PS : One more feature in Scipy Central is to allow users to download the
> snippet.

you probably got me wrong here, what I meant is that
the idea to adapt scipy-central sonds good to me.

But in order to support your application I would need
to be convinced that you can actually do it.

On the other hand, you should not be too concerned
about my support anyway because I definitely cannot
mentor for this project, so if Jordi is willing to be your
mentor his opinion is much more important than mine.

good luck with your application,
c.

Re: [Gsoc 2014] Creating a code sharing website for Octave [Replacing Agora]

oswalpalash
c.-2 wrote
you probably got me wrong here, what I meant is that
the idea to adapt scipy-central sonds good to me.

But in order to support your application I would need
to be convinced that you can actually do it.

On the other hand, you should not be too concerned
about my support anyway because I definitely cannot
mentor for this project, so if Jordi is willing to be your
mentor his opinion is much more important than mine.

good luck with your application,
c.
Sir,
I have been solving bugs of Agora. And I have been in contact with Jordi from past weeks. I can work on this code as I have been a django developer before. Also I am updating my git repo for Jordi to evaluate me :)
I thank you for your support!

Palash

Re: [Gsoc 2014] Creating a code sharing website for Octave [Replacing Agora]

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On Sun, 2014-03-09 at 18:15 +0100, c. wrote:
> I definitely cannot mentor for this project, so if Jordi is willing
> to be your mentor his opinion is much more important than mine.

I am trying very hard to not mentor this year. If we think Palash's
proposal is outstanding and nobody else wants to mentor, then I might
do it, but I really do not want to be directly responsible for the
mentoring. There are other projects I want to concentrate on. I have
been talking informally with Palash in IRC, but I am trying to avoid a
bigger time commitment. I can be an informal and occasional backup
mentor, perhaps.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: [Gsoc 2014] Creating a code sharing website for Octave [Replacing Agora]

Richard Crozier
On 09/03/2014 16:48, c. wrote:

> On 9 Mar 2014, at 17:29, oswalpalash <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Actually I didn't get it. Could you elaborate? Actually what I recall is
>> that VHS won the battle against Sony, right?
>
> I meant that as an example of the fact that having a better designed product
> is useless if nobody is actually using it.
>
> c.

Is Agora actually ready for action?

On the front page for instance it still states under "Post a snippet":

"Just want to post a quick snippet of code? Do it in the pastebin. You
don't even have to be registered. Though we'd need some sort of
spam-protection measures in that case. Plus, syntax highlighting!"

The "Though we'd need some sort of spam-protection measures in that
case." implies it's still a work-in-progress

There's also:

"Some more text just to fill up the space. Lorem ipsum, etc."

"More text to fill up line. "

so maybe people don't actually know it's fully operational and think
it's still in development?

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

12