Having problem building on macOS Mojave

Anadi Kashyap
Hi everyone, I'm new to open source and just tried to build Octave on my MacOS Mojave 10.14, I ran the configure script and installed the dependencies that I got an error for. But I'm stuck on this: "checking for rl_set_keyboard_input_timeout in -lreadline... no
configure: WARNING: I need GNU Readline 4.2 or later". I installed readline as told in the macOS building guide in the wiki but it still doesn't work. Can someone please help me out here?

When i make && sudo make readline, it gives me a warning saying I might need to run ldconfig. I googled and found it's not a command on mac, so I tried "sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force" which gave me a bunch of errors initially but ran after that. I used -force because without that, it just showed errors and terminated. Still no works :(

Any help would be appreciated

Re: Having problem building on macOS Mojave

bpabbott
Administrator
On Dec 22, 2018, at 11:24 PM, katokateki <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm new to open source and just tried to build Octave on my MacOS Mojave 10.14, I ran the configure script and installed the dependencies that I got an error for. But I'm stuck on this: "checking for rl_set_keyboard_input_timeout in -lreadline... no
configure: WARNING: I need GNU Readline 4.2 or later". I installed readline as told in the macOS building guide in the wiki but it still doesn't work. Can someone please help me out here?

When i make && sudo make readline, it gives me a warning saying I might need to run ldconfig. I googled and found it's not a command on mac, so I tried "sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force" which gave me a bunch of errors initially but ran after that. I used -force because without that, it just showed errors and terminated. Still no works :(

Any help would be appreciated

Most macOS users have migrated to using the homebrew package manager to satisfy Octave’s dependencies and to build Octave.

Before going further, can you tell us more about how you’ve install the dependencies? For dependencies, the wiki includes instructions on using (1) Homebrew package manager, (2) MacPorts package manager, (3) Fink package manager, and (3) manual installation. Which approach did you use?

I’ve used Fink and MacPorts in the past, but as their maintenance has decreased and homebrew’s had increased, I’ve switched to homebrew.

Ben