Heap error message from Octave 2.0.12

William D Kirby
Using Octave 2.0.12 I'm starting to get an error message that reports:

"The heap has been split, CYGWIN can't fork this process. Increase the
heap_chunk_size in the registry and try again."

How do I set the chunk size?

I'm using NT v4.0.

Bill

--
William D. Kirby             Voice: (703) 273-0005
Consultant                   Email: [hidden email]

Heap error message from Octave 2.0.12

John W. Eaton-6
On 14-May-1998, William D Kirby <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Using Octave 2.0.12 I'm starting to get an error message that reports:
|
| "The heap has been split, CYGWIN can't fork this process. Increase the
| heap_chunk_size in the registry and try again."
|
| How do I set the chunk size?
|
| I'm using NT v4.0.

I don't know.  Perhaps it would be better to ask on one of the
GNU-Win32 mailing lists?

If you find out, please let me know.

Re: Heap error message from Octave 2.0.12

Mumit Khan-2
"John W. Eaton" <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 14-May-1998, William D Kirby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | Using Octave 2.0.12 I'm starting to get an error message that reports:
> |
> | "The heap has been split, CYGWIN can't fork this process. Increase the
> | heap_chunk_size in the registry and try again."
> |
> | How do I set the chunk size?
> |
> | I'm using NT v4.0.
>
> I don't know.  Perhaps it would be better to ask on one of the
> GNU-Win32 mailing lists?
>
> If you find out, please let me know.

The default heap_chunk_size is 4MB (or was, may have changed in b19),
and for applications that fork, it's probably too small. Here's a
registry sample from Ron Parker that show to change it. Just it to
a file with extension .reg and double-click! Change it to something
higher and see what happens.

Regards,
Mumit

=== cut from here to end
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0]
"heap_chunk_in_mb"=dword:00000004