Help on Mailing list

Clinton Chee-2
Hi,

This is a help request about mailing lists.

I recently join the help-octave and octave-maintainers so that I can
communicate with the developers. The mailing lists are great - I can
have access through the web archive too.

Just wondering if I can remain in the mailing list (so that I can ask
questions to developers eg. JD Cole, John Eaton) but avoid the deluge of
  Octave email that has been filling up my inbox lately. I would rather
look at the mailing list and offer my contributions to others through
the archive.

Currently it seems like you need to join to discuss, and thus receive
everyone else's email:

"Joining the mailing lists

If you would like to join the discussion and receive all messages sent
to these mailing lists, ....."

"Your message has been received, but you are not subscribed to the
help-octave mailing list using the address from which you sent your
mail, so your message will not be posted automatically."

Thanks.

Clinton Chee - PhD
Computational Scientist
High Performance Computing Support Unit
University of New South Wales
SYDNEY 2052 AUSTRALIA
chee at parallel stop hpc stop unsw stop edu stop au
Tel: 61 2 9385 6915 Mob: 61 4 0205 8983

Help on Mailing list

John W. Eaton-6
On  4-Mar-2004, Clinton Chee <[hidden email]> wrote:

| This is a help request about mailing lists.
|
| I recently join the help-octave and octave-maintainers so that I can
| communicate with the developers. The mailing lists are great - I can
| have access through the web archive too.
|
| Just wondering if I can remain in the mailing list (so that I can ask
| questions to developers eg. JD Cole, John Eaton) but avoid the deluge of
|   Octave email that has been filling up my inbox lately.

No.  You have to be on the list to post.  It helps reduce spam.  There
is a second "accept" list for people who sometimes post using multiple
addresses.  I don't mind adding people to that list if they are
already subscribed, but I would prefer to not have to do extra work to
for people who don't want to receive messages sent to the list.  If
you don't want them in your inbox, set up some form of filtering.

If people want better mailing list service than I've been providing,
please find some volunteer(s) to take over the lists.