Homepage/repository for external packages

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Homepage/repository for external packages

marco atzeri-2
I noticed that is difficult for external packages for which a
Homepage is not declared to understand where the latest code is
available.
In same case I found some hints but a lot are not reported
and in few cases the "Url:" of DESCRIPTION is not properly
converted in the Homepage field (eg tisean):

external packages

bim
bsltl           http://www.nongnu.org/bsltl/ (Homepage)
divand http://modb.oce.ulg.ac.be/mediawiki/index.php/divand (Url not
available)
fits
fpl
ltfat           http://ltfat.github.io/ (Homepage)
msh
nan             http://pub.ist.ac.at/~schloegl/matlab/NaN/ (Homepage)
nurbs
ocs
octclip         https://bitbucket.org/jgpallero/octclip (?)
octproj         https://bitbucket.org/jgpallero/octproj (?)
secs1d
secs2d
secs3d
stk             https://sourceforge.net/projects/kriging/ (Homepage)
tisean          https://bitbucket.org/josiah425/tisean (Url)
tsa             http://pub.ist.ac.at/~schloegl/matlab/tsa/ (Homepage)
vibes


also some packages reported as community seems to be
stored somewhere else

mpi             https://bitbucket.org/cdf1/octave-mpi (?)


It will be nice to use the "Url:" of DESCRIPTION
to point at the code site, so that any potential contributors
will know where control latest code, report issue and propose patches.

Regards
Marco


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Homepage/repository for external packages

Oliver Heimlich
Hi Marco,

to obtain a homepage link from the URL field in the DESCRIPTION file is a relatively new feature. That's why some old packages are missing the homepage link even though there is a known location. The next release of these packages would fix that automatically or we could update the HTML documentation.

Any external package should have a homepage, so we should be able to create a complete list.

I am going to fix that based on your list, thank you. Let's see how many packages will be left with unknown homepages after that...

Also, we should think about the 'repository' link on Octave Forge for external packages. It points to our clone of the upstream repository, which is not up-to-date with current development (except for release time). The SF.net repository browser can't show any forks unless they are hosted on SF.net itself. Should we link to the upstream repository as well? Or should we make it more clear that one only gets a clone of the development repository?

Oliver


Am 30. Mai 2018 23:51:54 MESZ schrieb Marco Atzeri <[hidden email]>:

>I noticed that is difficult for external packages for which a
>Homepage is not declared to understand where the latest code is
>available.
>In same case I found some hints but a lot are not reported
>and in few cases the "Url:" of DESCRIPTION is not properly
>converted in the Homepage field (eg tisean):
>
>external packages
>
>bim
>bsltl           http://www.nongnu.org/bsltl/ (Homepage)
>divand http://modb.oce.ulg.ac.be/mediawiki/index.php/divand (Url not
>available)
>fits
>fpl
>ltfat           http://ltfat.github.io/ (Homepage)
>msh
>nan             http://pub.ist.ac.at/~schloegl/matlab/NaN/ (Homepage)
>nurbs
>ocs
>octclip         https://bitbucket.org/jgpallero/octclip (?)
>octproj         https://bitbucket.org/jgpallero/octproj (?)
>secs1d
>secs2d
>secs3d
>stk             https://sourceforge.net/projects/kriging/ (Homepage)
>tisean          https://bitbucket.org/josiah425/tisean (Url)
>tsa             http://pub.ist.ac.at/~schloegl/matlab/tsa/ (Homepage)
>vibes
>
>
>also some packages reported as community seems to be
>stored somewhere else
>
>mpi             https://bitbucket.org/cdf1/octave-mpi (?)
>
>
>It will be nice to use the "Url:" of DESCRIPTION
>to point at the code site, so that any potential contributors
>will know where control latest code, report issue and propose patches.
>
>Regards
>Marco

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Homepage/repository for external packages

Olaf Till-2
In reply to this post by marco atzeri-2
On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 11:51:54PM +0200, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> also some packages reported as community seems to be
> stored somewhere else
>
> mpi             https://bitbucket.org/cdf1/octave-mpi (?)

This is a fork, not an 'external' package in the sense of Octave
Forge.

Olaf

--
public key id EAFE0591, e.g. on x-hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Homepage/repository for external packages

marco atzeri-2
On 5/31/2018 11:06 AM, Olaf Till wrote:

> On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 11:51:54PM +0200, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> also some packages reported as community seems to be
>> stored somewhere else
>>
>> mpi             https://bitbucket.org/cdf1/octave-mpi (?)
>
> This is a fork, not an 'external' package in the sense of Octave
> Forge.
>
> Olaf

as the fork is due to the package maintainer Carlo de Falco
is at least a confusing one.

Marco



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Homepage/repository for external packages

Carlo de Falco-2


> On 31 May 2018, at 11:12, Marco Atzeri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 5/31/2018 11:06 AM, Olaf Till wrote:
>> On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 11:51:54PM +0200, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>>> also some packages reported as community seems to be
>>> stored somewhere else
>>>
>>> mpi             https://bitbucket.org/cdf1/octave-mpi (?)
>> This is a fork, not an 'external' package in the sense of Octave
>> Forge.
>> Olaf
>
> as the fork is due to the package maintainer Carlo de Falco
> is at least a confusing one.
>
> Marco

The mpi package on Octave forge is no longer maintained, at least not by me.
c.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Homepage/repository for external packages

marco atzeri-2
on 5/31/2018 11:23 AM, Carlo De Falco wrote:

>
>> On 31 May 2018, at 11:12, Marco Atzeri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 5/31/2018 11:06 AM, Olaf Till wrote:
>>> On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 11:51:54PM +0200, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>>>> also some packages reported as community seems to be
>>>> stored somewhere else
>>>>
>>>> mpi             https://bitbucket.org/cdf1/octave-mpi (?)
>>> This is a fork, not an 'external' package in the sense of Octave
>>> Forge.
>>> Olaf
>>
>> as the fork is due to the package maintainer Carlo de Falco
>> is at least a confusing one.
>>
>> Marco
>
> The mpi package on Octave forge is no longer maintained, at least not by me.
> c.
>

Carlo,
should we consider it with external repository as ltfat, nan, tsa ,
or totally un-mantained ?

It make differences for distribution package maintainers
that need to know where to look for continuing support
octave packages already available for octave 4.2.x.

By the way, why odepkg is no longer reported on SF ?
I must have missed any communication on the matter.

Regards
Marco




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Homepage/repository for external packages

jbect
Le 31/05/2018 à 12:46, Marco Atzeri a écrit :

> Carlo,
> should we consider it with external repository as ltfat, nan, tsa ,
> or totally un-mantained ?
>
> It make differences for distribution package maintainers
> that need to know where to look for continuing support
> octave packages already available for octave 4.2.x.
>
> By the way, why odepkg is no longer reported on SF ?
> I must have missed any communication on the matter.

Hi Marco,

It happened there :
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-maintainers/2017-03/msg00190.html.

As I understand it, there are now two versions of the MPI package for
Octave : the OF version and Carlo's version.

@++
Julien


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Homepage/repository for external packages

Carlo de Falco-2
In reply to this post by marco atzeri-2
>
> Carlo,
> should we consider it with external repository as ltfat, nan, tsa ,
> or totally un-mantained ?

Marco,

As you can see from the thread that Julien linked in a
previous message, this is note really up to me to decide.

I asked to make MPI an external package and was given
a negative answer.


> It make differences for distribution package maintainers
> that need to know where to look for continuing support
> octave packages already available for octave 4.2.x.

I'll work to make the repository accessible again,
in the meantime you can access the package download
from here:

https://gitserver.mate.polimi.it/redmine/attachments/download/67/mpi-2.2.1.tar.gz

> By the way, why odepkg is no longer reported on SF ?
> I must have missed any communication on the matter.

odepkg also moved out of OF it is now here:

https://bitbucket.org/odepkg/odepkg/src/default/

I think even though there are unresolved bugs it
would make sense to also make a new release of odepkg
now, but I'm not the main maintainer there.

> Regards
> Marco

c.



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Odepkg new release

marco atzeri-2
focusing on odepkg

On 5/31/2018 2:08 PM, Carlo De Falco wrote:

>> By the way, why odepkg is no longer reported on SF ?
>> I must have missed any communication on the matter.
>
> odepkg also moved out of OF it is now here:
>
> https://bitbucket.org/odepkg/odepkg/src/default/
>
> I think even though there are unresolved bugs it
> would make sense to also make a new release of odepkg
> now, but I'm not the main maintainer there.
>
>> Regards
>> Marco
>
> c.


Jacopo, Sebastian,

I see that I am not the only one unaware that the development
moved out of OF, as on the Forge repository I see:

---------------------------
$ hg log |head
changeset:   609:20017c4feae6
tag:         tip
user:        John W. Eaton <[hidden email]>
date:        Mon Jan 02 19:24:34 2017 -0500
summary:     F77_INT fixes for Octave 4.4.

changeset:   608:0cf815201920
user:        jcorno <[hidden email]>
date:        Wed Nov 16 15:26:07 2016 +0100
summary:     correct documentation about options and other minor additions
-----------------------------

Can you please release a 0.9.1+
with the proper documentation,
add to the DESCRIPTION the proper Url:
and synchronize the OF repository so that the changes
are reflected in the OF Website ?

In addition, why the odepkg entry disapperead from
https://octave.sourceforge.io/packages.php




Regards
Marco


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[forge] mpi

marco atzeri-2
In reply to this post by Carlo de Falco-2
focusing on mpi

On 5/31/2018 2:08 PM, Carlo De Falco wrote:
>>

> I'll work to make the repository accessible again,
> in the meantime you can access the package download
> from here:
>
> https://gitserver.mate.polimi.it/redmine/attachments/download/67/mpi-2.2.1.tar.gz

Carlo,
it builds fine and pass the test_mpi_send_receive.m
with openmpi-3.1.0 on cygwin 64 bit.

I assume you know that "Version: 2.2.0" does not match
file name.

Olaf,
In the mean time I also tested latest source from
https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/mpi

- It does not build on 4.4.0
- last release is Version: 1.2.0 , Date: 2014-01-07 by Carlo
- no one is doing any activity on it by long time
--------------------------------
$ hg log |head
changeset:   49:506cbb214007
tag:         tip
user:        Rafael Laboissiere <[hidden email]>
date:        Mon Jan 01 17:14:51 2018 +0100
summary:     Fix speeling errors in doc strings (bug #52766)

changeset:   48:197402d5465f
user:        Carlo de Falco <[hidden email]>
date:        Wed Aug 19 11:49:04 2015 +0200
summary:     backup harmful change
---------------------------------

my 2c€ as IMHO

It does not make any sense to consider Carlo's decision
to work on an external repository a fork as there is
no other development.
It will better to recognize "mpi" external as
NaN, Ltfat, odepkg and provide an official working
mpi package for octave 4.4.x

Regards
Marco






Regards
Marco

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Odepkg new release

Schöps, Sebastian
In reply to this post by marco atzeri-2
Dear Marco,

I will discuss asap with Jacopo what to do. I am not sure if he likes to continue to maintain the package or not.

However, I am very much in favor of a quick release (even so there are some known bugs).

Best
Sebastian

> Am 01.06.2018 um 08:00 schrieb Marco Atzeri <[hidden email]>:
>
> focusing on odepkg
>
> On 5/31/2018 2:08 PM, Carlo De Falco wrote:
>
>>> By the way, why odepkg is no longer reported on SF ?
>>> I must have missed any communication on the matter.
>> odepkg also moved out of OF it is now here:
>> https://bitbucket.org/odepkg/odepkg/src/default/
>> I think even though there are unresolved bugs it
>> would make sense to also make a new release of odepkg
>> now, but I'm not the main maintainer there.
>>> Regards
>>> Marco
>> c.
>
>
> Jacopo, Sebastian,
>
> I see that I am not the only one unaware that the development
> moved out of OF, as on the Forge repository I see:
>
> ---------------------------
> $ hg log |head
> changeset:   609:20017c4feae6
> tag:         tip
> user:        John W. Eaton <[hidden email]>
> date:        Mon Jan 02 19:24:34 2017 -0500
> summary:     F77_INT fixes for Octave 4.4.
>
> changeset:   608:0cf815201920
> user:        jcorno <[hidden email]>
> date:        Wed Nov 16 15:26:07 2016 +0100
> summary:     correct documentation about options and other minor additions
> -----------------------------
>
> Can you please release a 0.9.1+
> with the proper documentation,
> add to the DESCRIPTION the proper Url:
> and synchronize the OF repository so that the changes
> are reflected in the OF Website ?
>
> In addition, why the odepkg entry disapperead from
> https://octave.sourceforge.io/packages.php
>
>
>
>
> Regards
> Marco
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Odepkg new release

Nir Krakauer-3


On Fri, Jun 1, 2018, 1:11 PM Schöps, Sebastian <[hidden email] wrote:
Dear Marco,

I will discuss asap with Jacopo what to do. I am not sure if he likes to continue to maintain the package or not.

However, I am very much in favor of a quick release (even so there are some known bugs).

Best
Sebastian

> Am 01.06.2018 um 08:00 schrieb Marco Atzeri <[hidden email]>:
>
> focusing on odepkg
>
> On 5/31/2018 2:08 PM, Carlo De Falco wrote:
>
>>> By the way, why odepkg is no longer reported on SF ?
>>> I must have missed any communication on the matter.
>> odepkg also moved out of OF it is now here:
>> https://bitbucket.org/odepkg/odepkg/src/default/
>> I think even though there are unresolved bugs it
>> would make sense to also make a new release of odepkg
>> now, but I'm not the main maintainer there.
>>> Regards
>>> Marco
>> c.
>
>
> Jacopo, Sebastian,
>
> I see that I am not the only one unaware that the development
> moved out of OF, as on the Forge repository I see:
>
> ---------------------------
> $ hg log |head
> changeset:   609:20017c4feae6
> tag:         tip
> user:        John W. Eaton <[hidden email]>
> date:        Mon Jan 02 19:24:34 2017 -0500
> summary:     F77_INT fixes for Octave 4.4.
>
> changeset:   608:0cf815201920
> user:        jcorno <[hidden email]>
> date:        Wed Nov 16 15:26:07 2016 +0100
> summary:     correct documentation about options and other minor additions
> -----------------------------
>
> Can you please release a 0.9.1+
> with the proper documentation,
> add to the DESCRIPTION the proper Url:
> and synchronize the OF repository so that the changes
> are reflected in the OF Website ?
>
> In addition, why the odepkg entry disapperead from
> https://octave.sourceforge.io/packages.php
>
>
>
>
> Regards
> Marco
>

Any update on this?