Quantcast

How to change default paths

David Parman
I am trying to run Octave on Windows XP. I had previously run QtOctave (PortableApps version) and it worked Ok. Later I installed Octave 3.2.3 and it also worked Ok. Now today for some reason Octave 3.2.3 has it in its head that the default paths should point to a non-existent drive (D:\qtoctave\...). I don't know how it got that way, I can't find any files on my hard disk that have that path as text in them, and I can't find how to set the default paths back to the right place on C. I tried path(genpath(<path to my  Octave 3.2.3/.../share root>) but get error that it can't find 'find'.

I tried re-installing Octave 3.2.3, still the same problem. I tried running QtOctave and now it too comes up with the same non-existent path. How can I fix this?

--

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life which is required to be exchanged for it" -- Thoreau

Re: How to change default paths

tmacchant
Hello

It is possible that .octavetrc remains in your Home directory (folder) and path setting might be done
in it.

Please execute the following example

octave:15> tilde_expand('~')
ans = D:\usr\Tatsu
octave:16> dir D:\usr\Tatsu\.octaverc
.octaverc
octave:17> edit D:\usr\Tatsu\.octaverc

If '.octaverc' does not exit, I have no idea at the moment

*tilde_expand('~') reveals the HOME directory is your setting.
According ans = (PATH name), you should modify the above.

Regards

Tatsuro

--- David Parman wrote:

> I am trying to run Octave on Windows XP. I had previously run QtOctave
> (PortableApps version) and it worked Ok. Later I installed Octave 3.2.3 and
> it also worked Ok. Now today for some reason Octave 3.2.3 has it in its head
> that the default paths should point to a non-existent drive
> (D:\qtoctave\...). I don't know how it got that way, I can't find any files
> on my hard disk that have that path as text in them, and I can't find how to
> set the default paths back to the right place on C. I tried
> path(genpath(<path to my  Octave 3.2.3/.../share root>) but get error that
> it can't find 'find'.
>
> I tried re-installing Octave 3.2.3, still the same problem. I tried running
> QtOctave and now it too comes up with the same non-existent path. How can I
> fix this?
>
> --
>
> "The cost of a thing is the amount of life which is required to be exchanged
> for it" -- Thoreau

Re: How to change default paths

bpabbott
Administrator

On Jan 21, 2010, at 6:57 PM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

> --- David Parman wrote:
>
>> I am trying to run Octave on Windows XP. I had previously run QtOctave
>> (PortableApps version) and it worked Ok. Later I installed Octave 3.2.3 and
>> it also worked Ok. Now today for some reason Octave 3.2.3 has it in its head
>> that the default paths should point to a non-existent drive
>> (D:\qtoctave\...). I don't know how it got that way, I can't find any files
>> on my hard disk that have that path as text in them, and I can't find how to
>> set the default paths back to the right place on C. I tried
>> path(genpath(<path to my  Octave 3.2.3/.../share root>) but get error that
>> it can't find 'find'.
>>
>> I tried re-installing Octave 3.2.3, still the same problem. I tried running
>> QtOctave and now it too comes up with the same non-existent path. How can I
>> fix this?
>>
>> --
>>
>> "The cost of a thing is the amount of life which is required to be exchanged
>> for it" -- Thoreau
>
> Hello
>
> It is possible that .octavetrc remains in your Home directory (folder) and path setting might be done
> in it.
>
> Please execute the following example
>
> octave:15> tilde_expand('~')
> ans = D:\usr\Tatsu
> octave:16> dir D:\usr\Tatsu\.octaverc
> .octaverc
> octave:17> edit D:\usr\Tatsu\.octaverc
>
> If '.octaverc' does not exit, I have no idea at the moment
>
> *tilde_expand('~') reveals the HOME directory is your setting.
> According ans = (PATH name), you should modify the above.
>
> Regards
>
> Tatsuro

If that doesn't work, try ...

        restoredefaultpath
        savepath

Ben

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jan 21, 2010, at 6:57 PM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

> --- David Parman wrote:
>
>> I am trying to run Octave on Windows XP. I had previously run QtOctave
>> (PortableApps version) and it worked Ok. Later I installed Octave 3.2.3 and
>> it also worked Ok. Now today for some reason Octave 3.2.3 has it in its head
>> that the default paths should point to a non-existent drive
>> (D:\qtoctave\...). I don't know how it got that way, I can't find any files
>> on my hard disk that have that path as text in them, and I can't find how to
>> set the default paths back to the right place on C. I tried
>> path(genpath(<path to my  Octave 3.2.3/.../share root>) but get error that
>> it can't find 'find'.
>>
>> I tried re-installing Octave 3.2.3, still the same problem. I tried running
>> QtOctave and now it too comes up with the same non-existent path. How can I
>> fix this?
>>
>> --
>>
>> "The cost of a thing is the amount of life which is required to be exchanged
>> for it" -- Thoreau
>
> Hello
>
> It is possible that .octavetrc remains in your Home directory (folder) and path setting might be done
> in it.
>
> Please execute the following example
>
> octave:15> tilde_expand('~')
> ans = D:\usr\Tatsu
> octave:16> dir D:\usr\Tatsu\.octaverc
> .octaverc
> octave:17> edit D:\usr\Tatsu\.octaverc
>
> If '.octaverc' does not exit, I have no idea at the moment
>
> *tilde_expand('~') reveals the HOME directory is your setting.
> According ans = (PATH name), you should modify the above.
>
> Regards
>
> Tatsuro

If that doesn't work, try ...

       restoredefaultpath
       savepath

Ben

Interesting. When I did the tilde_expand it shows my home folder being on a network drive (it's defined automatically by our corporate setup as HOMEDRIVE=H: and HOMEPATH=\ in an obscure startup script). There was a file H:\.octave_hist, but no .octaverc.

Meanwhile I was poking around the Windows help and found the XP way of making environment variables. I added OCTAVE_PATH and set it to the correct C:\Octave\... path and that seems to have fixed the problem. I then did savepath, and now there is a .octaverc file on my H:\ path. I'm still at a loss for how that D:\qtoctave path got into it, but it seems to be fixed now.

Thanks for the help.